By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS Million-Sellers Thread (Pokemon X/Y)

Tagged games:

How high will Global first-week sales of Pokemon X/Y be?

Over 5 million 50 52.08%

Between 4 and 5 million (BW=4.5) 22 22.92%

Between 3 and 4 million (DP=3.2) 6 6.25%

Between 2 and 3 million 4 4.17%

Less than 2 million 0 0%

Total:82
the_dengle said:
Conegamer said:
Pokemonbrawlvg said:
Paper Mario is actually doing very well in North America (300k so far). In Japan it should do very well (looking at the Comg charts). In Europe; however, I'm not to confident. It should do a million eventually, despite all the hate and negative reviews this game is getting. IMHO, it's worthy of the Paper Mario name.

Just to add, it's been doing very well on the NA eShop (as well as the Pokemon apps).

I haven't seen that much hate for it at all really...

I think there was a lot more hate for it before it came out. Now that people have had a chance to play the game, the hate seems to be mostly behind us.

Thisis what it felt like for me also. Haven't played it yet but those who have seem to (barring a few exceptions) love the game. As expected. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

I think all the games in the poll will get there, on the fence about Street Fighter though, but who knows, the generation is long still.

That said, I think Kid Icarus is the next one, it's close now.

And selling faster than Pokemon, so it should overtake it very soon. Paper Mario and Professor Layton likely to be the one after that just after the holidays, with Luigi's Mansion following after that. I have the feeling Luigi's Mansion is going to sell pretty well and will easily beat the million mark in the first few weeks (fourth maybe?).
Of the other games, I think at least RE: Revelations, Star Fox 64, PilotWings Resort and Mario Tennis will get there before the 3DS's successor is released.

52-Week Update: Mario Kart 7

While technically now 53 weeks old, software sales data were not updated last week.

In its first 52 weeks on sale, Mario Kart 7 sold over 6.5 million units. Although this is a far cry from Mario Kart Wii's over 15 million sales in the comparable period, it is tracking well ahead of its DS predecessor, which has sold over 22 million units total to date.

Mario Kart 7 has 30% (or 1.5 million) more sales than Mario Kart DS in their first respective years. In less than one year on the market, Mario Kart 7 easily passed the GBA iteration, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, and passed the GameCube's Double Dash!! just a few weeks later.

Being released in the first year of the 3DS's lifespan should provide MK7 with very strong legs, and if this trend of tracking ahead of its DS predecessor continues, the game will eventually cement itself as the second-best-selling game in the franchise.

oniyide said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask and Kid Icarus will pretty soon.

And I still think Paper Mario will pass 1 million.

I've a little surprised Nintendogs +Cats hasn't sold more. The numbers are still great, but notably less than the first installment.

why? from what i played their werent enough new features to the game that would warrant people to buy the new one, most would (and have) just stick to the ones they own

That may be true, but couldn't you apply this statement to many, many series?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
oniyide said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I've a little surprised Nintendogs +Cats hasn't sold more. The numbers are still great, but notably less than the first installment.

why? from what i played their werent enough new features to the game that would warrant people to buy the new one, most would (and have) just stick to the ones they own

I would say the exact same thing about them, im just trying to explain why NintyDogs on 3ds isnt the runaway hit the originals on DS was and i would say the same thing for those other hypothetical series, if you know another reason why NintyDogs isnt doing better im all ears

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
oniyide said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I would say the exact same thing about them, im just trying to explain why NintyDogs on 3ds isnt the runaway hit the originals on DS was and i would say the same thing for those other hypothetical series, if you know another reason why NintyDogs isnt doing better im all ears

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but there are too many examples of games that more or less reiterate the original and still sell better.

Call of Duty 3 outselling Call of Duty 2. Madden 09 outselling Madden 08. FIFA 12 outselling FIFA 11.

I would guess it has more to do with the novelty wearing off. Nintendogs is one of the most revolutionary handheld titles of all time -- you could argue it helped sell the DS more than any other game -- but in the seven years since the first one launched the newness has dissipated and many fans have probably moved elsewhere.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
oniyide said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
oniyide said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but there are too many examples of games that more or less reiterate the original and still sell better.

Call of Duty 3 outselling Call of Duty 2. Madden 09 outselling Madden 08. FIFA 12 outselling FIFA 11.

I would guess it has more to do with the novelty wearing off. Nintendogs is one of the most revolutionary handheld titles of all time -- you could argue it helped sell the DS more than any other game -- but in the seven years since the first one launched the newness has dissipated and many fans have probably moved elsewhere.

i disagree, you only listed 3 series, and two of them are sports games which traditionally dont change since they are coming out yearly and even then the difference in sales are not that big even when one does outsell the other. COD is an exception not a rule, but i wouldnt argue that they dont change much, at least not online. There are far more game sequels that do make significant changes than ones that dont.

I dont think Nintydogs was revolutionary at all IMHO. What is so different between that and say...Tamogatchi or the giga pets of old, or hell any kind of animal pet sim? Id say Mario did more for DS sales wise, but Nintydogs was no slouch either. I would like to know where they moved on, there are not that much games on the market like that. I think they just stuck to their copies, is the 3ds version that much different? not from what i played.

oniyide said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
oniyide said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
oniyide said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]

i disagree, you only listed 3 series, and two of them are sports games which traditionally dont change since they are coming out yearly and even then the difference in sales are not that big even when one does outsell the other. COD is an exception not a rule, but i wouldnt argue that they dont change much, at least not online. There are far more game sequels that do make significant changes than ones that dont.

I dont think Nintydogs was revolutionary at all IMHO. What is so different between that and say...Tamogatchi or the giga pets of old, or hell any kind of animal pet sim? Id say Mario did more for DS sales wise, but Nintydogs was no slouch either. I would like to know where they moved on, there are not that much games on the market like that. I think they just stuck to their copies, is the 3ds version that much different? not from what i played.

Well, those are just some obvious, high-profile examples. As far as sequels that do make significant changes versus sequels that don't....that topic is probably outside the scope of this conversation.

I still say that it's misguided to argue that Nintendogs 2 isn't doing as well as the first game simply because it doesn't add much that is new. There are many examples of sequels that did quite well without innovating or altering the basic formula. And, yes, there are many examples of iterative sequels that fared poorly in comparison. I just don't think there is a rule when it comes to this kind of thing. A rehashed sequel is not guaranteed to sell worse than the original, and a wildly original sequel is not guaranteed to sell better.

In terms of Nintendogs being revolutionary: it most definitely is. By demonstrating the usefulness of the touchscreen and built-in microphone, it justified the DS hardware. And, for better or worse, it helped usher in a new group of video game players -- those that are sometimes derogatively called "casual." That alone was a revolution. Plus it went a long way toward re-branding Nintendo; remember that Brain Age and Wii Sports came after.

New Super Mario Bros. may have sold more, but I would argue that Nintendogs was the more important title.

@veknoid outcast thats all well and good, but you're still not giving me reasons why its NOT doing as well as the original, it sure as hell isnt moving any 3ds hardware. Like i said if you can think of a reason its not doing as well besides what i gave. Im all ears. Its not so much it didnt add that much, i just think the audience is content with what they already have (having to buy new hardware isnt doing the game any favors either)

We'll have to agree to disagree, Nintydogs was not original, there were games and products just like it already released on the market years ago, i already mentioned two. adding a touch screen and mic, doesnt make it original, they just added new stuff to something that was already done. im sure Mario moved more hardware (as sales show) so i dont understand how Nintydogs was the more important game.

Save yourself some work and add Monster Hunter 4 now.

Layton and Miracle Mask won't hit the million since it's given away for free in europe. I'll be getting it on January 1, the code sits in my Inbox.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.