By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Launch Sales for Japan (Console/Handheld Comparisons Inside!)

In Japan the Wii U should do well, they don't have Microsoft to worry about, they have 2 of the bigger third party franchises basically exclusive (though the DS/3DS seem to get the "main" Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest games while the Wii/Wii U have settled for the side versions ... DQIX is 4 million seller, DQX is probably going to be a 500k seller, so big difference).

Also Japan doesn't care as much about high end graphics, they have a full year head start over Sony.

The system should do well. The only big concern I see is that post-January lineup for Japan does not look very good.
DQX is OK, but being a MMORPG really limits its appeal, and Pikmin was never a big seller in Japan.

They could really use a Mario Kart for next March-April, but it probably won't be ready until fall at the earliest.

Wii Fit may be one of those things that people have had their fill of, like Nintendogs and Brain Training declining massively on the 3DS. 

So that's worrisome they need something stronger from Jan-June next year. 

EDIT: My memory is a bit hazy but I remember the N64 having a huge launch in Japan, like close to 500k sold, but the system dropped like a rock after that with no games but Super Mario 64/Pilotwings/and a Mah Jong game for a long time. 

Around the Network
TeddostheFireKing said:
Very good sales for the WiiU, any idea on sell through? :)

The Wii U would have likely sold more if it wasn’t for limited availability

spurgeonryan said:
In just two days! The Wii was for the entire week. Lets hope that the Wii U can be a bit higher. Some of those games should be a bit higher as well. so I can loosen my collar!!!

N-Magic said:
TeddostheFireKing said:

I was looking for a percentage tbh, any sources?

TeddostheFireKing said:
N-Magic said:
TeddostheFireKing said:

Nope you won't get percentages until Media Create/Famitsu most likely. 

The "word on the street" is that you can still find a Wii U in Japan if you really look for one, but supply is fairly scarce. So it's not a hard sell-out like the DS, PS2, was, but it's not a "definitely not sold out" like the 3DS (impacted by the Japanese earthquake), GameCube, PS3, etc. were. 

Around the Network

These numbers don't really mean anything....just look at the Vita launch, its was pretty good but look how its doing now.

Anyway Japan shows the same trends as USA and EU....3rd party isn't selling.

Soundwave said:
TeddostheFireKing said:
N-Magic said:
TeddostheFireKing said:

Nope you won't get percentages until Media Create/Famitsu most likely. 

The "word on the street" is that you can still find a Wii U in Japan if you really look for one, but supply is fairly scarce. So it's not a hard sell-out like the DS, PS2, was, but it's not a "definitely not sold out" like the 3DS (impacted by the Japanese earthquake), GameCube, PS3, etc. were. 

I was hoping for some early leaks really :P

Thanks for the reply :)

N-Magic said:
I have a great feeling that Nintendo is going to meet their 5 million mark and even topple Vita sales over this holiday period alone.

Worldwide? Unlikely. Europe launch was horrible.

I'd say it has a chance to pass USA Vita sales though. Maybe in Japan too...it really depends on 2nd week sales though. Too early too tell.

VGKing said:
These numbers don't really mean anything....just look at the Vita launch, its was pretty good but look how its doing now.

Anyway Japan shows the same trends as USA and EU....3rd party isn't selling.

I dunno I'd say that Monster Hunter attach rate is pretty good, given that it's basically just an up-resed 3DS game slapped together for launch. Basically just free money for Capcom. 

Things like Tekken are just dying franchises unfortunately, they bombed on the PS3 in Japan, and the Wii U wasn't going to save them with a newborn sized userbase. 

retroking1981 said:

Pretty sure I remember the N64 opening huge (300,000+) in Japan and just fading rapidly after that.

Soundwave said:

EDIT: My memory is a bit hazy but I remember the N64 having a huge launch in Japan, like close to 500k sold, but the system dropped like a rock after that with no games but Super Mario 64/Pilotwings/and a Mah Jong game for a long time. 

They shipped 300k for the launch but added a further 200k for the reminder of the June launch month.

The rEVOLution is not being televised