By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 5. Is it racist?

The game is set in Africa. The only way it would have been racist if they decided to make all the enemies white!

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

yeah.. this discussion again...

There are people sensitive out there that doesnot understand that RE5 is only a game. And there is people tjat only wants to get noticed an appear on the media.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Wasn't aware of such issues. Just found out right now.

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

Unless the main character is black, the enemies shouldn't be black.

Wait... Then it might be considered gang violence and stereotyping the black populace.

Or, it could be a black guy killing white people.

Then, it would be considered overcompensating with a "let's get whitey" attitude.

Or maybe it could be the Lucky Charms leprechaun killing everybody and everything he sees.

Aw shit, there's a lawsuit from General Mills.

Aw, f*** it. Just give me zombies to kill. I don't care if they're zebras (though I would hate to insult any indigenous hoofed mammals from Africa who might be reading this forum).

Actually, if a zebra is reading this, props. Way to beat the opposable thumbs oppressors who refuse to make a keyboard that caters to your specific needs.

Political correctness FTW!

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Wouldn't it be racist if they had it set in Africa but had no black people?

My theory is this, it's a series on zombies zombies were created through stories of voodoo etc which originated in African culture. It's actually a fairly natural progression for the series to go and explore those roots if only as an excuse for more gore.. Now if you want to be honest, the black rights groups are racists for noticing something so trivial as the skin color of the people in the game. I didn't even think of the skin color it was a guy shooting zombies.(I'm dead serious I re-watched the trailer after I heard about the racism claims and I was like "Wow.. they are black!") If they really want to do us a favor maybe they should go after the guys who make Ninjabread man and other fine gems for their oppression against eyeballs and minds everywhere.

Around the Network

And welcome to six months ago.

rocketpig said:

Unless the main character is black, the enemies shouldn't be black.

Wait... Then it might be considered gang violence and stereotyping the black populace.

Or, it could be a black guy killing white people.

Then, it would be considered overcompensating with a "let's get whitey" attitude.

Or maybe it could be the Lucky Charms leprechaun killing everybody and everything he sees.

Aw shit, there's a lawsuit from General Mills.

Aw, f*** it. Just give me zombies to kill. I don't care if they're zebras (though I would hate to insult any indigenous hoofed mammals from Africa who might be reading this forum).

Actually, if a zebra is reading this, props. Way to beat the opposable thumbs oppressors who refuse to make a keyboard that caters to your specific needs.

Political correctness FTW!

Truly excellent post, rocketpig. :)

I highly doubt Resident Evil 5 is racist, mainly because it is an inanimate object that is not capable of thoughts or emotions. As Yahtzee said there is little to worry until the zombies start walking around with fried chicken.

Proud owner of the following gaming devices:

PC, XBox 360, Wii, PS2, DS, PS3

Actually if Zebras were the zombies than that would be bring in the animal rights activists.

I'm black and I don't find it racist. Actually I have been wondering if there ever would be black zombies. Anyone who thinks it is racist just doesn't know enough about the series and only see a white man killing a bunch of black people.

~Now Playing~
PC: Max Payne 3, World of Warcraft

X360: MW3, Skyrim

PS2: Persona 4

Last Purchase(s): Max Payne 3, WoW Game Time Next Purchase(s): None at the moment... 

Gamertag: InfernoTrell