By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Half-Life 2 is the game of the DECADE!

For the last 10 years I've been playing the Halo series over and over and have only played through Half-Life 2 once. It's a great game, but I haven't yet felt the need to replay it like I have the Halo games. I even prefer the Portal series to Half-Life.

Around the Network
pezus said:
Boutros said:

He has a point though.

Half-Life 2 has since been at least equalled in terms of quality (although it's still the best for it's time) but WoW is still easily the best MMORPG out there and it doesn't look like anything can dethrone it. Even Guild Wars 2 did not have a big enough impact and it was the one having the highest odds.

Personally I'd say no FPS has topped HL2 since it came out as a single player experience.

Some people could say Bioshock for it's story and atmosphere or Call of Duty 4 for it's gameplay and cinematic action but the thing is Half-Life 2 has both so I guess it depends on what you prefer from a FPS.

Scoobes said:
Boutros said:

He has a point though.

Half-Life 2 has since been at least equalled in terms of quality (although it's still the best for it's time) but WoW is still easily the best MMORPG out there and it doesn't look like anything can dethrone it. Even Guild Wars 2 did not have a big enough impact and it was the one having the highest odds.

The best or simply the most popular? At this stage, it doesn't matter what the quality is, people are invested in the game & expansions.

The best.

pezus said:
wsnnwa said:
Half-life 2 deserved it, it revolutionized the FPS and story telling abilities when it launched in 2004. Add Counter-Strike: Source to that and you have the best online FPS experienced created until COD. No other game changed the industry as much as Half-Life 2 did back in 2004, hence game of the decade.

Of course all these console kiddies didn't play the port until 2007, so they wouldn't know or understand what I am talking about.

Don't compare to console games from 2007+, it officially launched in 2004 and development began in 1998. No game touched its quality from 2000 - 2007, at least arguably.

I even played it in 2008 or 2009 for the first time and could immediately appreciate its greatness. The episodes only added to that

I played it when It launched, I was 13 in 2004 and I remember getting a new graphics card and power supply with errand money I had saved up. It was amazing, the story, the AI interations, the emotions, the soundtrack, it was a near perfect game when it came out. I also played CS:Source for many years and I even participated in tournaments (CAL,CEVO, etc.)

It revolutionized the gaming world, the best DX9 graphics for its time, much better AI than anything before it and even for the next couple of years. CS:Source gave an unparralelled competitive FPS experience too. 

Ahhhh memory lane.......

Boutros said:
Scoobes said:
Boutros said:

He has a point though.

The best or simply the most popular? At this stage, it doesn't matter what the quality is, people are invested in the game & expansions.

The best.

I played WoW when it launched and a couple of times afterwards, vanilla was horrible. It got way better over time, but unfortunatly I have grown bored of it. 

Around the Network

I have no problem with Half-Life 2 winning. It's had a monumental influence on the gaming industry.

I also would not have had a problem with World of Warcraft winning. That game was absolutely groundbreaking when it was first released. The size and scale of the game are unmatched and the moments it provides are unforgettable. I will never, ever forget the first I fought Ragnaros or Onyxia. The resources they put into WoW blow most other "blockbuster" games away. If it's not GotD, it still deserves a place in the top 5.

Still, SotC would have been my first pick, though I admit it was less influential than the other two.

Half-Life is still unmatched in single-player experience.

BasilZero said:
pezus said:
BasilZero said:
pezus said:
BasilZero said:
I still need to get the first game and this game, will be doing so hopefully.

I have the option to try out Black Mesa though...hmmm.

Play Black Mesa instead of HL1 Vanilla. 

Isnt Black Mesa a bit shorter and doesnt have all of the levels? o.O

Yeah, they're still working on it. Just put it on hold and finish other games while you're waiting ;o

Oh I didnt know it was still in development o.O. Thanks for the info!

Maybe Black Mesa?

That was a joke, ha ha, fat chance.

pokoko said:
BasilZero said:
pezus said:
BasilZero said:
pezus said:
BasilZero said:
I still need to get the first game and this game, will be doing so hopefully.

I have the option to try out Black Mesa though...hmmm.

Play Black Mesa instead of HL1 Vanilla. 

Isnt Black Mesa a bit shorter and doesnt have all of the levels? o.O

Yeah, they're still working on it. Just put it on hold and finish other games while you're waiting ;o

Oh I didnt know it was still in development o.O. Thanks for the info!

Maybe Black Mesa?

With just that you have become my favorite user on this site.

Nintendo and PC gamer

BasilZero said:

pokoko said:

Maybe Black Mesa?

????? What do you mean o.O?

Oops, sorry.  Part of my brain just assumes everyone knows the lyrics to 'Still Alive', the closing song of Portal.

"Go ahead and leave me...
I think I'd prefer to stay inside...
Maybe you'll find someone else
to help you?
Maybe Black Mesa?
That was a joke Haha! Fat Chance!"