By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Japan save Nintendo and the Wii U like they did with the 3DS?

I doubt it will sell like hotcakes in Japan. 10 million maybe but Japan is all handheld these days.

Oh and why are we having that supply / demand discussion again? Console makers always promise a huge first shipment and then fail to meet their goal. Always. And how do people know the console did or did not sell out? Did you... read it on the internet? *gasp*

Around the Network
UncleScrooge said:
I doubt it will sell like hotcakes in Japan. 10 million maybe but Japan is all handheld these days.

Oh and why are we having that supply / demand discussion again? Console makers always promise a huge first shipment and then fail to meet their goal. Always. And how do people know the console did or did not sell out? Did you... read it on the internet? *gasp*

I remember reading an article saying that most middle class in Japan only have 1 TV at home, thus the reason why handhelds are so popular. With the Gamepad you can play almost all games on the controller without turning the TV or when someone wants to watch it. I believe this could be huge in Japan for that reason alone.

Nintendo and PC gamer

UncleScrooge said:

The only thing that people have to really go off of is Nintendo... And they probably aren't 100% trustworthy all the time either. So we have (almost) no clue what's going on with stock.

osed125 said:
UncleScrooge said:

I remember reading an article saying that most middle class in Japan only have 1 TV at home, thus why handheld are so popular. With the Gamepad you can play almost all games on the controller without turning the TV or when someone wants to watch it. I believe this could be huge in Japan for that reason alone.

I think the actual reason for Japan's fixation on handhelds is simply the break out success of the original DS - after that developers heavily shifted their resources towards handhelds. It's a self fulfilling prophecy to some extend. Interesting fact about the number of TV's, though. That's surely a plus point for the console.

This Thread makes me lol
The Wii U is doing fine, It's a Brand new system give it time people. I bought one, My 2 nephews bought 1 each and my co worker bought one. It's selling around my friends and family lol

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
UncleScrooge said:

The only thing that people have to really go off of is Nintendo... And they probably aren't 100% trustworthy all the time either. So we have (almost) no clue what's going on with stock.

You sir, are wise beyond your years. All we have is historical data and that tells us that Wii, PS3 and 360 didn't sell better than the Wii U in the US at launch.

Kuramakun said:
This Thread makes me lol
The Wii U is doing fine, It's a Brand new system give it time people. I bought one, My 2 nephews bought 1 each and my co worker bought one. It's selling around my friends and family lol

No offense, but your definition of fine is messed up. It's not really doing fine. If it was it wouldn't have gone down on its second week that much.

Now, I'm not saying its doing horrible, but it sure could do better.

UncleScrooge said:
NintendoPie said:

You sir, are wise beyond your years. All we have is historical data and that tells us that Wii, PS3 and 360 didn't sell better than the Wii U in the US at launch.

Thanks!

Didnt the Wii sell better FW in USA though?

NintendoPie said:
UncleScrooge said:
NintendoPie said:

Thanks!

Didnt the Wii sell better FW in USA though?

Not a huge difference at all according to VGC USA numbers:

Wii first week - 463,466

WiiU first week - 411,850

Second week USA:

Wii - 153,381

WiiU - 130,733

While the Wii certainly enjoyed a higher demand and could've moved even more units had they been available, WiiU is priced $50/$100 more in a worse economy.

The Wii moved almost 3m units worldwide by the end of its launch year. Let's see how WiiU fares at the end of 2012.

the wiiu will be fine it selling well here around my area

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3