By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 Biggest Flops of 2012: Let's discuss

For a game that flopped I actually enjoyed RE 6 quiet a bit it not nearly as bad as some of its terrible reviews.

Around the Network
Roselber said:
crissindahouse said:
Roselber said:
What about Dragon Ball Z for Kinect?

i don't think anyone really expected higher sales or higher ratings so i would put that in the "as expected" category and not as one of the biggest flops (even if it was a flop financially)

Well but some DBZ/Kinect fans had high hopes and were saying "Yeeeyy finally we can throw Kamehamehas at the speed of light, it's gonna be awesomeee!!!", "Well done Goku, we beat Freezer!", or "it's gonna be the best DBZ game everrr"

But it's OK.

Well that game was expected to fail.

The DBZ games overall have been trash after Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

BasilZero said:

I thought to be considered a flop it would have to had bad sales not bad reviews.

In that case, RE6 shouldnt be on that list, everything else seems fine.

The sales didn't live up to expectations. 

Definitely not Twisted Metal. Not only is the metacritic higher then most Twisted Metals, the sales should catch up as well to one of them. Starhawk was a huge flop comparatively.

Another thing is how to define flop? As I asked in the other Jay's thread. Based on 1st week sales? 10 week sales? LTD sales? YTD sales?

Also Dead or Alive 5 is under tracked a lot on the 360. So its total sales are a lot higher then 270K.

Around the Network

I do not get how DoA 5 would be considered disappointing in terms of quality. It is the arguably the best entry in the series and solid evolution of the game mechanics in most regards. To me, it and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 were both solid fighters that did exactly what I expected. Neither lit up the charts, but then again Persona 4 Arena (the big surprise for me) did not either so maybe so many fighting games just meant sales were divvied up more?

BasilZero said:

I thought to be considered a flop it would have to had bad sales not bad reviews.

In that case, RE6 shouldnt be on that list, everything else seems fine.

I should have explained a little better. Resident Evil 6 was picked strictly because it is one of the biggest franchises of all time and they huirt there brand name severely with releasing a poor product, hence the metacritic

Labeling a game a flop means taking into consideration 3 things:

1)sales
2)reviews (critics and gamers)
3)production size/company expectations

Which would have to lead the company to lose money and hurt the brand.

Tekmo does not consider Dead or Alive to be a flop last time i checked

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/29/hold-on-to-your-cowboy-hats-dead-or-alive-5-sells-over-500000-units/

And I am optimistic about LBP karting. It has had no hype or promotion but it could turn out to be a moderate slow seller...and I do want to play it at some point. Keep the third point in mind: it does NOT look like a hyper expensive production to consider it a flop. And of course we are not talking about some harcore title that everyone would rush to buy on release day but a casual one.

JayWood2010 said:

I should have explained a little better. Resident Evil 6 was picked strictly because it is one of the biggest franchises of all time and they huirt there brand name severely with releasing a poor product, hence the metacritic

Wrong, they did not release a poor product. They consciously released a very mainstream-ish action version of an once horror game with the intention of having a wider appeal.

Over 3 m in the first two months is not a flop. You could broaden your vocabulary with terms such as "underperform*" instead of using the dramatic "flop" for the sake of some big flaming discussion. I am not playing with words since it performed non the less. And the "hurt brand name" or in less drama queen terms, the transition from horror to action, already kinda happaned with RE 5.

*in regards to the company's very vocal expectations

It's too bad that, despite the negative reception, RE6 is a huge financial success for Crapcom. As a result, I'm not expecting RE7 to be any different.

Yo Jay you still waiting on vg to update the GB

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share