By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - SCEE ship 1.2M PS3s in Europe during final 5 weeks of 2007.

Even the man himself now doubts this bullish projection:

We haven't made any conclusion whether we have to give it up,'' Hirai said, referring to this fiscal year's 11 million shipment target. ``It depends on how aggressively dealers buy our PS3 inventory.''

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network

11 million is not really all that bullish... They were think it would take off... they got cocky like Nintendo did(like I said earlier) with the 64. They thought that whatever they put out there will sell...

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

"so vgc overtracked?
by maybe 300-500k?
(I doupt the PS3 is sold out in UK and France and Germany, the three biggest markets... maybe in Spain, Greece, and Italy)"

This makes no sense, we can't tell if it's over-tracked or under-tracked from this data. We don't know how many were sold in those 5 weeks that had been shipped prior, and we don't know how many shipped in those 5 weeks weren't sold until after that period.

Besides, after watching the actual interview it's not actually clear if these are sold or shipped.

tokilamockingbrd said:
11 million is not really all that bullish... They were think it would take off... they got cocky like Nintendo did(like I said earlier) with the 64. They thought that whatever they put out there will sell...

11 million was a bullish estimate to stick with, they really should have reduced it a while ago.

outlawauron said:
Here PS3 sales the last 5 weeks according to VGC......

Dec. 02
176,465 2,544,495
Dec. 09
227,402 2,771,897
Dec. 16
276,288 3,048,185
Dec. 23
340,306 3,388,491
Dec. 30
238,490 3,626,981

Total: 1,258,951 sold
Shipped: 1,200,000

Not bad. Sony shipped 1:1 with what they sold.

According to this VGC has almost 300k more sold than Sony shipped.... granted the number sony gave began dec 1, and Outlawauron's start Nov 25 or so... So still About 150k more sold according to VGC than sony says they shipped... could be off by as much as 500k depending on shortages and how much retailers stocked up out there...

psn- tokila

Around the Network

"11 million was a bullish estimate to stick with, they really should have reduced it a while ago."

Agreed, especially with MGS & GTA getting pushed back to the next fiscal year.

tokilamockingbrd,

He gives a total of just over 1.2M, which ends up at just under 1.2M when deducting non SCEE countries. Sony's figure was also 1.2M, I can't see where you're finding a 300K-500K discrepancy.

I guess I am assuming the numbers they gave were shipped not sold, and rounded up... Sony never rounds down...

psn- tokila

dolemit3 said:
Even the man himself now doubts this bullish projection:

We haven't made any conclusion whether we have to give it up,'' Hirai said, referring to this fiscal year's 11 million shipment target. ``It depends on how aggressively dealers buy our PS3 inventory.''

Considering how many reports we keep reading of "huge piles of PS3s" in various stores, I'm guessing the answer will be "not very fast".

It makes sense that shipped = (approx) sold for this time of year

(its even possible for sold to exceed shipped - but not by very much) 

8m for the fiscal year sounds perfectly reasonable to me - I think they will do a little more than that (around 8.5-9m). But I could be wrong. Europe sales for this week are down 10% from last week, and they will continue to fall for a while yet.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I still don't understand, how can they round up 300K-500K to 1.2M? That's just not possible.