By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - $299-$399 ps3 price point a crucial factor

No Leo, price isn't the reason. Perception is.

Wii is perceived as the trendy console, the fun console, the console to get this generation. The PS3 isn't perceived as this.
The reason may originally have been the price of the PS3 being too high but now its image is wrecked by a year and a bit of being in third place. I don't know if it is reparable by any measure.

Around the Network

Just wait ONE week. =))
Then we will see, who is not going to make 15-16 mln. in 2008. =)))
yeah, yeah, it`s x360. =]]

Anyway, we ave 2 weeks numbers to get, interesting, how ps3 price cut will effect other console sales. =)
we will see that only after 3 weeks.. =]

Moreover, if ps3 gets 299$, it`s a price of PS2 on it`s sceond year. I wonder what will be demand. Shortages anyone? =))

By the way, i think they want to rid of old models, and to offer one`s with dualshock 3. =)
That would be logical moove.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Mars said:
leo-j said:
@Mars

Consumers will go wii no matter what, even if the ps3 has every AAA title out now.

The reason is its price.

Your dreaming or simply dont know much about anything.

Go with that feeling.

OT: Yes, a $299 PS3 would be very attractive in fighting for marketshare against the 360. 

there is no way the ps3 is going to drop that fast. I mean the whole point is to try to make a profit off the system. Sony won't be making a profit if they keep doing price cuts. But let's say that they do drop the price that much, Microsoft would just drop it even lower since they will probably take a smaller hit for each console sold and they have better software sales for now.

If i was the president of the game division in one of these 3 companies, i would actually rather come in a respectable 3rd place and make a profit than come in 1st and lose money the whole generation.

I can't help but notice that the exact same people who believed that the 80GB PS3 was going to outsell both the Wii and XBox 360, and believed that the $400 PS3 was going to outsell the Wii and XBox 360, now believe that a $300 PS3 would outsell both the Wii and XBox 360 ...

Any price reduction in the near future is only going to look desperate, and could potentially hurt sales ...

Around the Network

I'm kinda hoping the PS3 does drop to $300 or even better $250. Then maybe when sales improve but still stay below the Wii leo-j and others will finally quit complaining that the only reason ppl buy Wiis is the price.

Of course if that happens Wii Bingo would need to be adjusted accordingly.....

Has anyone taken a look at the Yen-Dollar relationship lately. Sony and Nintendo are making less money in the US market and even the Euro is starting to lose value versus the Yen. EVERYTHING, not just video games, that Sony and Nintendo sells is priced 10% lower in yen just because of this. Now you want them to make more price cuts at a time they are going to bleed money from US sales?

leo-j said:
@Mars

Consumers will go wii no matter what, even if the ps3 has every AAA title out now.

The reason is its price.

Because the gamecubes cheap pricepoint made it sell just as well as the wii is selling now. Far out, think about what your saying!

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

Probably before december the ps3 will drop $50

^_^

I think a price cut and many AAA titles will drive sales close to 360 so both would be good moves IMO.