By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Vita Doom & Gloom talk with stop once the price is dropped

I just don't think you're going to convince anyone over the age of 16 outside a handful of enthusiast gamers (who make a lot of noise on message boards but in actuality are a tiny, small niche crowd) to carry around a large game-centric handheld anymore.

The world of consumer electronics has changed too much. In the age of skinny jeans and iPhones and Samsung Galaxies, the game handheld is a dying dinosaur. 

I think next year will be even worse in some ways for Vita because a lot of the attention is going to shift to the shiny new PS4/720 consoles for hardcore players (and there goes the "close to console quality graphics" card out the window). How much attention is the Vita likely to get at E3 2013 for example? Will be completely trampled by the PS4. 

Around the Network

the gloom talk will never stop just like it never stops for Nintendo even though they always making money lol.

Cobretti2 said:
the gloom talk will never stop just like it never stops for Nintendo even though they always making money lol.

Nintendo's actually proven something though. Vita has not. It's not like the PSP as a whole was doing great in the West post-2008 anyway. Sony handhelds have been largely irrelevant for the last 4-5 years in the West to be honest (no one cares about Monster Hunter here), the Vita has just found a lower level of irrelevance than the PSP ever did, that's all. 

Seeing a PSP game chart in the top 10 of the NPD was extremely rare. 

richardhutnik said:
dexterlablab1 said:

This is a person's take on all the negative articles on the Playstation Vita

http://www.bubblews.com/news/58245-playstation-vita-doom-amp-gloom-talk-with-stop-once-the-price-is-dropped

If more expensive iPads outsell the Vita, what would that say about price then?  I see it as people aren't buying for price point reasons, so slashing prices doesn't really help.

Not really. Apple products sell no matter the value of the product because of the brand. No other device can sell that great and be that overpriced. The 3ds is a perfect example.

Soundwave said:
Cobretti2 said:

Nintendo's actually proven something though. Vita has not. It's not like the PSP as a whole was doing great in the West post-2008 anyway. Sony handhelds have been largely irrelevant for the last 4-5 years in the West to be honest (no one cares about Monster Hunter here), the Vita has just found a lower level of irrelevance than the PSP ever did, that's all. 

Seeing a PSP game chart in the top 10 of the NPD was extremely rare. 

NPD= America = world or the West

70 million consoles is hardly irrelevant. It's not like it sold 60m in Japan, and 5 in the US and 5 in Europe. And I'm sure it didn't stop selling after 2008. Irrelevant is by all means an exaggeration.

Around the Network

It likely won't.
developers have their own analysts and predictions and if they havent been announcing games, it's because they don't see a lot happening.
Sony needs to prove them wrong. I think sony can do it. They just need to expand their lineup with some hit games.

Soleron said:
Well this thread proves that people only post their own canned opinion on Vita and don't read the thread first.

It makes me LOL so much.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

ps3-sales! said:
Soleron said:
Well this thread proves that people only post their own canned opinion on Vita and don't read the thread first.

It makes me LOL so much.

aye to be fair tho this is just a thread by a guy pointing to a post he made on another site, most of which seems to be just missinformation based on what people have quoted here, I've not gone there myself as I don't feel like giving another site hits really to read junk.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

kain_kusanagi said:
Who wrote this article? Is this even a real website?

The first poster wrote it and is pretending someone else did. He's done so with all four of the pieces he's written and made threads for on VGC.

And the mods continue to let him do, even after reporting.

Chark said:
Trunkin said:
If the Vita gets a price cut, all the trolls will come dashing out from under their bridges screeching, "OMG OMG SONY M@KiNG 1 LAST DESPERIT MOVE 2 TRY 2 SAVE CR@PY VITA!!!1 DIS PROVES IT DED!!! NOT LONG BEFORE DISCONTINU!"

It wouldn't change a damn thing.

Erm, also, what software features does the Vita have that the 3DS doesn't? They both support Digital/physical games, videos, music, Netflix, etc. right? Or is this article specifically referring to hardware features.

I can't say much for 3DS but Vita has Music Unlimited, Near, Treasure Park, Welcome Park, Paint Park, Colors!, music player, video player, camera/camcorder, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Flickr, foursquare, Netflix, niconico, Google Maps, and Email. Vita also has PlayStation Mobile, which will become Sony's version of the Android and iOS app stores once it picks up some pace. Aside from that there is the already well developed PSN, the Vita's more capable and customizable OS user interface with a built in message board for every icon, and a much better web browser.

When I can make folders on my Vita screen, then tell me it's more customisable. I love my vita and it's definately getting a lot more play time RECENTLY, but in terms of softward features I'd call it a dead heat. Sure the Vita is better at internet browsing and such but Streetpass is far superior to Near. PSM is nothing yet, but I'll be happy when it is. PSN is great, but it's only really "better" than the 3DS's (for me at least) because the hardware needs it (due to not being able to play physical PSP games). The 3DS wins in the Camera department and being able to play DS games and run off SD cards is a massive +.