By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Recession - Thank you America.

SleepWaking said:
hoerenkind? haha gelukkig hebben we geen nederlandse mods hier.

You completely read my mind.

Around the Network

Americans have been living on borrowed money for so long, both publicaly and privately and now its coming back to bite them.

And HappySqurriel is right, you can make good money in recessions, in fact fortunes were made during the depression, i'd invest heavily in Nintendo, they will benefit greatly from the recession, entertainment always does well and Nitnendo is close to a mass market price and has high appeal

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Lingyis said:
seems like people like to blame america when something goes wrong and rarely gives america credit when things do actually go right.

What exactly have they contributed to the rest of the world that is important in the last 10 years?

I can name a few bad things:

1) Not trying to reach the standards set by the KYOTO-protocol because of presure by Oil-corporations.

2) Iraq war.

3) Whining about Iraq having a nuke, invading them, and finding out they didn't have one... Whilst Israel isn't allowed to have one either but you don't here people complain about that because America backs them

4) American Kapitalism taking World Economy down.

5) Bush spreading hate throughout the Middle-East against the Western World (That includes Europe).

6) Depending on oil so much, not willing to invest on long term in environemental-friendly energyresources, pumping more then 50% of the World's CO2 into the air whilst only having about 1-15th of the Worlds population.

etc...etc...etc... 

THE NETHERLANDS

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Americans have been living on borrowed money for so long, both publicaly and privately and now its coming back to bite them.

And HappySqurriel is right, you can make good money in recessions, in fact fortunes were made during the depression, i'd invest heavily in Nintendo, they will benefit greatly from the recession, entertainment always does well and Nitnendo is close to a mass market price and has high appeal

no better big financial compagnies those are much more affected

mike_intellivision said:
If Europe's economy is larger than the US, why is the US throwing Europe into a recession?

The Europe's economy can throw the US also into a recession.

If you need each other you can't improve when the other one is in a recession or it would make it more diffuicult to improve.

Around the Network
hoerenkind said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

no better big financial compagnies those are much more affected

Maybe, depends, right now even with the foreign bailouts i'm a little concerned about some of the steps they are taking, all the losses they are writing off and the fact that not all of the subprime loans have come due yet, I would be a little hesitant to invest at this particular moment, since I expect one of the big investment banks to go under in the next year

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

insomniac17 said:
akuma587 said:
Americans are stupid, trust me, I am one. We know less foreign languages than the rest of the world's citizens, our high school students perform less well measured by objective criteria than many foreign countries, and we elected someone like George Bush to office, TWICE.

I think we are getting smarter, but we are pretty damn dumb, especially the South (I live in the South).

We haven't had a good president since Reagan. and I'm not very impressed with ANY of the current candidates. and this is the year I can finally vote in a presidential election too...

I have to say in response that I honestly think this is one of the best presidential fields in 20 years, at least.  I like at least 4 of the candidates, that is counting Democrats and Republicans, enough to be fine with them as president.

Obama, Hillary, McCain, and Guiliani are all pretty good.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Entroper said:
StarcraftManiac said:
Entroper said:
Yes, America is to blame for everything. We suck. We all get it.

I'm sorry to say but yes... It all started because of the American banks and the way a lot of American's can't keep their hands of cash whilst they can't repay their debts... So yep, all your fault... Just like how America screwed the Palestinians over Israel and their nukes (which they aren't allowed to have but with America backing them no-ones complaining) and just how they totally focked up Iraq and Afghanistan...

Off-topic: Btw, why is America whining about Iran 'supposedly' having a nuke?... Israel has one, and that country isn't allowed to have on either... I don't here the American Government about that... Maybe because of the Jewish lobbies in America?... Or the fact that America needs Israel to have a strong military presence in the Middle-East?... I sense bias...

Sure, you and everyone else like to throw blame at us when things go wrong, but the fact is, the only reason that this is negatively affecting your markets is because we have positively affected your markets so much in the past.  If you didn't benefit from our growth, you wouldn't have had anything to lose in the first place.  So deal with it.

And the growth of the European markets also beniffited the US market before so what is your point?

Entroper said:
StarcraftManiac said:
Entroper said:
Yes, America is to blame for everything. We suck. We all get it.

I'm sorry to say but yes... It all started because of the American banks and the way a lot of American's can't keep their hands of cash whilst they can't repay their debts... So yep, all your fault... Just like how America screwed the Palestinians over Israel and their nukes (which they aren't allowed to have but with America backing them no-ones complaining) and just how they totally focked up Iraq and Afghanistan...

Off-topic: Btw, why is America whining about Iran 'supposedly' having a nuke?... Israel has one, and that country isn't allowed to have on either... I don't here the American Government about that... Maybe because of the Jewish lobbies in America?... Or the fact that America needs Israel to have a strong military presence in the Middle-East?... I sense bias...

Sure, you and everyone else like to throw blame at us when things go wrong, but the fact is, the only reason that this is negatively affecting your markets is because we have positively affected your markets so much in the past. If you didn't benefit from our growth, you wouldn't have had anything to lose in the first place. So deal with it.

Read Avinash_Tyagi's post. He says what i have to say to you:

Avinash_Tyagi said: 'Maybe, depends, right now even with the foreign bailouts i'm a little concerned about some of the steps they are taking, all the losses they are writing off and the fact that not all of the subprime loans have come due yet, I would be a little hesitant to invest at this particular moment, since I expect one of the big investment banks to go under in the next year'.

Btw, we were already a mighty economical power before the US even was a country. So what the hell are you talking about? It IS America's fault... You deal with it! 

THE NETHERLANDS

akuma587 said:
insomniac17 said:
akuma587 said:
Americans are stupid, trust me, I am one. We know less foreign languages than the rest of the world's citizens, our high school students perform less well measured by objective criteria than many foreign countries, and we elected someone like George Bush to office, TWICE.

I think we are getting smarter, but we are pretty damn dumb, especially the South (I live in the South).

We haven't had a good president since Reagan. and I'm not very impressed with ANY of the current candidates. and this is the year I can finally vote in a presidential election too...

I have to say in response that I honestly think this is one of the best presidential fields in 20 years, at least. I like at least 4 of the candidates, that is counting Democrats and Republicans, enough to be fine with them as president.

Obama, Hillary, McCain, and Guiliani are all pretty good.

Well, to each his own, I suppose. I guess I'm just not easily impressed... or maybe I like to find too much wrong with them all.