By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 8 / Kinect 2 To Feature Improved Interaction Between Gamer and Avatar

Wow, it sounds like it will need some powerful hardware. Still it is very exciting, and I think goes along with some of my predictions/wants.

So, does that mean it will not have a red light pointing at us? And will it still work in dark and dim rooms?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

While I love my Xbox devices,... lol gtfo Kinect 2, only want you for navigation purposes and stuff like head panning.

trunkswd said:
SvennoJ said:

Using Kinect 2, when a gamer is using a controller, Xbox 8 will be capable of displaying the user's Avatar in-game mimicing the actual gestures of the controller input.  If the gamer presses the A button to perform a kick, the Avatar will mimic that kick rather than require a gamer to physically kick.

Sorry I couldn't resist. Press a button to kick, what a great idea!

I love my Xbox, but I thought the exact same thing. Mind = Blown!

I realize it's not a major point, but its coming.  I think the point of it is simply to allow the gamer to remain emersed, as well provide a similar experience for both controller-free and controlled gaming experiences.

JoeTheBro said:
What I got from this is the avatar your friends see on your profile mimics what your character in the game is doing. If that is indeed the correct way to read this, then dev teams will HATE it! Either they will have to use Microsoft supplied software to rig the character armatures or else they will have to port their armature system into Microsoft's software. That would have loads of issues.

Alternatively it could not be 1 to 1. XBOX8 would already have thousands of avatar animations pre made so the game only needs to tell the system "car driving" or "reload pistol type weapon." This would be much more realistic yet downgrade this to a boring feature.

I don't understand what's so special about calculating speaker location unless XBOX8 is trying to replace the receiver. If that is the case they will need tons of models or else people like me wouldn't be able to use that ability.

The Xbox 360 in multi-player is peer to peer, so this would be a peer to peer exchange of positioning data.  Since these are Avatar-based games using the Avatar system incorporated with the Xbox 360, it would stand to reason they're using Microsoft software.  You can't use Kinect on the Xbox 360 without using Microsoft software, so I would assume the same is true in Xbox 8/Kinect 2.

It is possible that they may use a short-hand rather than a 1:1 representation.  I'll verify that though.

Wi-Fi speakers?  Better noise cancelling?  Dynamic volume adjustment?

Zappykins said:
Wow, it sounds like it will need some powerful hardware. Still it is very exciting, and I think goes along with some of my predictions/wants.

So, does that mean it will not have a red light pointing at us? And will it still work in dark and dim rooms?

It doesn't really require powerful hardware.  A dedicated hardware thread will likely provided sufficient CPU processing power for the Avatar stuff.

No.  Interms of darkness it won't be much different than the current Kinect.  The major difference is the use of Time of Flight depth sensing and filters to actively filter out anything but the frequency of light Kinect 2 is emitting. 

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Trunkin said:

Well, unless I'm totally misunderstanding something, it means that Kinect 2.0 will support button inputs(I.E a "normal" controller" while simultaneously continuing to track your movements. Isn't this what everyone's been asking for? Kinect will finally become viable for actual videogames...maybe.

Like Steel battalion and Ryse?

http://123kinect.com/ryse-game-playable-controller-kinect/19980/

No need for Kinect 2.0 for that, although Ryse might become a 720 launch game.

It currently is an Xbox 8 title, no longer an Xbox 360 title.

dahuman said:

Please tell me you made up this post with no source of any kind, because it's making me want to cry. So far I got, press a button and your character does something, stereo mic, and proximity voice chat. WHY ARE THOSE FEATURES EXCITING!?!?!?!?

No.  All sourced.

What I've provided so far is not a list of major advancements but evolution of features.  They are things that will work better or features that have been improved upon.  Nothing seriously ground breaking.  Just features being added to Xbox 8/Kinect 2.

One of the interesting "possible" new features will be the ability to automatically dim the lights in the room.  However, it'll require a computer and an add-on accessory.  So when you go to play a game or watch a movie, the console will signal the computer via the network, it'll activiate the accessory, which will dim the lights.  The computer could be eliminated, I think, but it's meant to retain data on usage patterns and such.  This would also be possible by using a tablet or smartphone.  Using an app, you could turn on or dim lights remotely, or while walking into a room by accessing an app rather than fumbling for a switch. 

Since the consumer product hasn't been announced or even hinted at, let alone Xbox 8 integration, I won't say more.  However, it seems Xbox 8 integration would be logical considering you're sitting on the couch, playing a movie, it'd be nice that as soon as you hit Play the lights dim to 10% or turn off altogether.   

Adinnieken said:
dahuman said:

Please tell me you made up this post with no source of any kind, because it's making me want to cry. So far I got, press a button and your character does something, stereo mic, and proximity voice chat. WHY ARE THOSE FEATURES EXCITING!?!?!?!?

No.  All sourced.

What I've provided so far is not a list of major advancements but evolution of features.  They are things that will work better or features that have been improved upon.  Nothing seriously ground breaking.  Just features being added to Xbox 8/Kinect 2.

One of the interesting "possible" new features will be the ability to automatically dim the lights in the room.  However, it'll require a computer and an add-on accessory.  So when you go to play a game or watch a movie, the console will signal the computer via the network, it'll activiate the accessory, which will dim the lights.  The computer could be eliminated, I think, but it's meant to retain data on usage patterns and such.  This would also be possible by using a tablet or smartphone.  Using an app, you could turn on or dim lights remotely, or while walking into a room by accessing an app rather than fumbling for a switch. 

Since the consumer product hasn't been announced or even hinted at, let alone Xbox 8 integration, I won't say more.  However, it seems Xbox 8 integration would be logical considering you're sitting on the couch, playing a movie, it'd be nice that as soon as you hit Play the lights dim to 10% or turn off altogether.   

I just hope they will have all the fixes I listed in another thread to address the current problems, the rest are all gimmicky as hell. How much money does MS want it's consumers to shell out for all these things? It's getting a little ridiculous with them trying to act like Apple with the whole Windows 8 Eco System bullshit.

Like this?

brendude13 said:

Like this?

I think we'll see something along the lines of a Miiverse/Home available for Xbox 8, with some interestng features. 

But Kinect 2 will offer better depth/positional recognition.  Fewer dangling extremities.