By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii u completely in stock at gamestop

osed125 said:
Soundwave said:

I don't know if Nintendo really has shipped more Wii U's than Wiis.

It's just that there isn't the same crazed demand this time out. Wii was completely new and different from anything most people had seen before in 2006, Wii U is not the same thing.

Nintendo has forecast 3.5 million Wii Us through next March, that's actually less than Wii I think, so they likely don't have many more systems to allocate here than they did in 2006. The difference is demand is at a more reasonable level.

The system will do OK through the holidays, I think the challenge for Nintendo is going to be selling a $300-$350 piece of hardware next year though. I suspect you'll see a $50 price cut by next summer. I think Jan-April in particular are going to be tough for the Wii U. 

Actually Nintendo forecast 5.5 million units by March.

Yup typo on my part, this is still lower than the Wii forecast through March 2007 which was 6 million I believe (GameCube was also at 6 million through March 2002, but they failed to hit that). 

6 million-ish is basically what Nintendo likes to hit with a new console through its first March (fiscal year end). If Wii U is easier to find, it's because demand is lower, not because Nintendo is shipping more systems. Shipments for Wii U are probably about the same as the Wii in 2006. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
osed125 said:
Soundwave said:

It's just that there isn't the same crazed demand this time out. Wii was completely new and different from anything most people had seen before in 2006, Wii U is not the same thing.

Nintendo has forecast 3.5 million Wii Us through next March, that's actually less than Wii I think, so they likely don't have many more systems to allocate here than they did in 2006. The difference is demand is at a more reasonable level.

The system will do OK through the holidays, I think the challenge for Nintendo is going to be selling a $300-$350 piece of hardware next year though. I suspect you'll see a $50 price cut by next summer. I think Jan-April in particular are going to be tough for the Wii U. 

Yup typo on my part, this is still lower than the Wii forecast through March 2007 which was 6 million I believe (GameCube was also at 6 million through March 2002, but they failed to hit that). 

6 million-ish is basically what Nintendo likes to hit with a new console through its first March (fiscal year end). If Wii U is easier to find, it's because demand is lower, not because Nintendo is shipping more systems. Shipments for Wii U are probably about the same as the Wii in 2006. 

But we do not know the size of the initial shipments though. It could make a big difference if they were able to ship more than the wii for the initial month or two.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
Soundwave said:
osed125 said:
Soundwave said:

But we do not know the size of the initial shipments though. It could make a big difference if they were able to ship more than the wii for the initial month or two.

EDIT: Mis-read what you were saying.

The initial shipment for the Wii U appears to be about the same as the Wii in 2006. Wouldn't surprise me, Nintendo is very much a "it worked last time, lets do the exact same thing again" type of company (ie: launching the 3DS with Nintendogs, because they probably figured that was the game that got the DS really going and the same thing would happen again). 

The thing with the original Wii was Nintendo really probably could've sold 2-3x what they shipped without a problem. That was insane, I remember even in December, there would be lineups and stores would run raffles/lotteries every time they got new Wii shipments. I even recall the biggest radio station in my city having people call in and announce if there were any Wiis in stock anywhere in town. 

Soundwave said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

Pretty sure most shipments are for November/December. Jan-Feb are very slow months for retail, they're not going to be holding stock for those months. 

The initial shipment for the Wii U appears to be about the same as the Wii in 2006. Wouldn't surprise me, Nintendo is very much a "it worked last time, lets do the exact same thing again" type of company (ie: launching the 3DS with Nintendogs, because they probably figured that was the game that got the DS really going and the same thing would happen again). 

well i heard that nintendo are doing a much better job this time with the supply side of things for wiiu (anectodal of course but still). I guess time will help us get a better understanding

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
Soundwave said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

Pretty sure most shipments are for November/December. Jan-Feb are very slow months for retail, they're not going to be holding stock for those months. 

well i heard that nintendo are doing a much better job this time with the supply side of things for wiiu (anectodal of course but still). I guess time will help us get a better understanding

Nintendo was shipping the original Wii at regular intervals too. The difference was that new systems would be sold out as soon as the store got them. 

I remember a lot of stores didn't even bother to put them on store shelves, but would run raffles for any new inventory they got. 

The demand for the original Wii was just insane, that's the big difference. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Nintendo was shipping the original Wii at regular intervals too. The difference was that new systems would be sold out as soon as the store got them. 

I remember a lot of stores didn't even bother to put them on store shelves, but would run raffles for any new inventory they got. 

I agree with you on the demand difference. I partly blame the marketing campaign. It's no where near as good as the wii would like to play ones back in the day. Been reading a lot of scalpers are getting the short end of the stick now. But who knows maybe with the xmas coming up they will have better luck. 

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

I have 2 Game Stops within 5 miles of each other and they have both versions in stock.

M.U.G.E.N said:
Soundwave said:

I agree with you on the demand difference. I partly blame the marketing campaign. It's no where near as good as the wii would like to play ones back in the day. Been reading a lot of scalpers are getting the short end of the stick now. But who knows maybe with the xmas coming up they will have better luck. 

I haven't seen any Wii U commercials until last night, there was a Batman Arkham City one during the basketball game. 

I think Nintendo markets mostly on kids networks (Nickeldeon and Cartoon Network and what not), because when I was over at my friends place, their daughter keeps the TV on Cartoon Network most of the time and I saw more 3DS commercials in like 2 hours than I've seen on regular TV in 2 years, lol. 

Soundwave said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Soundwave said:

I haven't seen any Wii U commercials until last night, there was a Batman Arkham City one during the basketball game. 

I think Nintendo markets mostly on kids networks (Nickeldeon and Cartoon Network and what not), because when I was over at my friends place, their daughter keeps the TV on Cartoon Network most of the time and I saw more 3DS commercials in like 2 hours than I've seen on regular TV in 2 years, lol. 

I don't really watch much tv but they were advertising a lot on comedy central (online). Was watching daily show and every commercial break was about the wiiu.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

Deluxe sets are already sold out.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M