By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RUMOR: Playstation 4 not much better than WiiU

http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/rumor-behind-the-scenes-with-first-party-hardware-and-third-party-softwear-next-gen/

Sony is near the middle end part of their Project Orbis, their next generation PS4. It will not be called Playstation 4, teams have started to call the final name as Omni. Omni will reflect their new hardware and content delivery philosophy. Omni will be “very capable” of doing modern day graphics compared to a Direct X 11 level of technology like Unreal Engine 4 and Frostbite 2. Compared to Wii U, it is better, but not the biggest leap in the world according to developer friends of mine. The key is the Omniviewer, a thin, lite and slick head mounted autosteroptic display that can track the users head and presents a 360 image view with semi transparent AMOLED screens. This can turn any TV into a 3D TV, as well as add extra augmented reality information outside of the TV screen. One application from an entertainment perspective seeing movies in 2k, 4k or IMAX resolutions as their original size where you have to move your head to look at the full picture being displayed. Can also synch with the Vita. The new controllers weather it’s the Duo-Moves or the Classic DuoShock will have pulse sensors in the grips for biofeedback gameplay. Plans are a Basic Unit with 160 gigs and just the system with controller at $350-$399 and one with the Omniviewer and a pack-in game for $450-$499. Aims are for a September 2013 launch.

– Omni is also part of their philosophy with the new OmniCloud, the new version of Gaktai. This service will not only cloud stream PS1, PS2 and select PS3 games to Playstation Certified devices but will also allow every digital and retail purchase to have access to a copy on the cloud. Basically, you buy one game, you can use it on any Plyastation device. Direct hardware Backwards Compatibility will be available by a $70 – $99 dongle that is plugged into the Omni that contains a PS3 on a chip with Cell to run games.

------------------------------------

If you want to focus on the GOOD bits of the article I suggest go here:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=150674

Hower this is about the underlined bolded statements.

1) Power - If true so dissapointing. I mean like the PS4 is meant to be like the hugest leap ever over WiiU.

2) Backwards compadibility - I wonder how big this dongle will be considering how big the current PS3 model is.

AND LIKE OMG!!! SONY RIPPING ME OFF!!! THEY WANT EXTRA MONEY FOR A FEATURE THAT SHOULD BE STANDARD WITH  NEXT GEN SYSTEM!!!!!

Around the Network

So its the PS3 with a tablet? Maybe

Seriously, the console will be able to transmit 4k display, that's a huge leap to me

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

You're too late with this thread.

1) That would ensure Sony can launch a profitable console and stay in the hardware business.

2) Backwards compatibility dongle would be completely optional. BC isn't a requirement to begin with, only a convenient luxury.

Also, if rumors are true, Sony is going with a CPU different from the CELL, so a CELL would have to be on board or adapted for BC, hence the dongle.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Turkish said:

No i am not. The other thread clearly focuses only on the GOOD bits. I wanted to highlight all the CONCERNING bits of information.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

Hower this is about the underlined bolded statements.

1) Power - If true so dissapointing. I mean like the PS4 is meant to be like the hugest leap ever over WiiU.

2) Backwards compadibility - I wonder how big this dongle will be considering how big the current PS3 model is.

AND LIKE OMG!!! SONY RIPPING ME OFF!!! THEY WANT EXTRA MONEY FOR A FEATURE THAT SHOULD BE STANDARD WITH  NEXT GEN SYSTEM!!!!!

In response to these points:

1)  Did you really, honestly think the PS4 was going to be lightyears more powerful than the Wii U or current gen consoles?  You know Sony has to start making money sometime, right?

2)  Being that the PS4 is rumored to be using an entirely different architecture than what is currently in the PS3 (no CELL, AMD based CPU/GPU as opposed to the Nvidia-based GPU in the PS3 etc.), it would at a pretty significant cost to the console if they were to make it fully backwards-compatible with the PS3 right out of the box.  Do you want to spend $500-$600 on a console again just so it can play games that your existing console does already?  Plus I doubt Sony is going to discontinue the PS3 anytime soon since it's finally becoming profitable, so making the PS4 b/c right out of the box would defeat the purpose of continuing their planned 10-year life cycle for the PS3.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Cobretti2 said:
Turkish said:

No i am not. The other thread clearly focuses only on the GOOD bits. I wanted to highlight all the CONCERNING bits of information.

In the end its the same bit of rumor with a different thread title. And we don't need 2 different threads for the same rumor.

NightDragon83 said:

In response to these points:

1)  Did you really, honestly think the PS4 was going to be lightyears more powerful than the Wii U or current gen consoles?  You know Sony has to start making money sometime, right?

2)  Being that the PS4 is rumored to be using an entirely different architecture than what is currently in the PS3 (no CELL, AMD based CPU/GPU as opposed to the Nvidia-based GPU in the PS3 etc.), it would at a pretty significant cost to the console if they were to make it fully backwards-compatible with the PS3 right out of the box.  Do you want to spend $500-$600 on a console again just so it can play games that your existing console does already?  Plus I doubt Sony is going to discontinue the PS3 anytime soon since it's finally becoming profitable, so making the PS4 b/c right out of the box would defeat the purpose of continuing their planned 10-year life cycle for the PS3.

1) Not at all. I am mearly dissapointed based on the feedback we have received from hardcore playsation fans, who claimed the console would be significanlt powerful.

2) BUT BUT LIKE SERIOUSLY COMMON it is nextgen, it should be a standard feature,

Turkish said:
Cobretti2 said:
Turkish said:

In the end its the same bit of rumor with a different thread title. And we don't need 2 different threads for the same rumor.

That is your opinion.

I thought it was very relevant considering the other thread didn't touch on it and everyone was only focusing on the good parts. So what would be the point of brining it up in there when clearly people in that thread would simply skip over my concerns.

lol ok I have to say this...at this point it's more wishful thinking from Nintendo fans than anything else. Would be entertaining around next E3 I think

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!