By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 UP YOY in USA with NO big exclusives. What gives?

Why was the PS3 up YOY in USA during BF week?

Great bundle deals and discounts 198 45.41%

New exclusive games (All ... 21 4.82%

More PS3 advertising 15 3.44%

A combination of multiple factors 136 31.19%

Other 16 3.67%

See results 48 11.01%

Total:434
VGKing said:
slowmo said:
So ultimately despite all the talk in here it still has been massively outsold by the 360 and will not sell more than it for the entire holiday season despite having a new model available and loads of Bundles?

We could do the favourite thing of Sony fans and do launch alignment sales in the US but that makes it look even worse as it means the 360 sold 100% more then, strange how that's not brought up in these threads.

I would say the reason it is up is due to the new model and aggressive bundling and pricing by Sony for BF. I expect sales to be back down yoy as the deals expire imo

don't be a hypocrite. MS had a $50 price cut on bundles for weeks now yet it was still massively down YoY. 

Reported.  I never said anything about Microsoft strategy so don't see how I'm a hypocrite.

Around the Network

Did anyone say/think that the PS3 would outsell the 360 in NA, in the last 3 Years?

Ever?

RaiderMX said:
CGI-Quality said:
RaiderMX said:
CGI-Quality said:
RaiderMX said:

I'm aware of that. But still, what happened that Sony sold less the last year? I don't remember any big game for 360. 

Hmmm...

Gears of war 3

Gears of War 3? It sold less than Gears 2 as far as I know, and I don't think Gears is a console-seller. Is more like the next game you have to buy once you already have the console...

You asked what big game they had and it didn't sell that much less than Gears 2 either.

Ok, I'll give you that. Since is more the fact that Gears never was too atractive for me. But, I think I remember (I have a very bad memory) that PS3 did have many great exclusive games in 2011...

Killzone 3, LBP2, Infamous 2, Resistance 3, and Uncharted 3 were all incredible (although I don't particularly care for Killzone).  However 3 of those were released in the first half and a combination of horrible marketing (KB riding a horse) and the bad taste from R2 led to R3 doing poorly despite being, imo, the best single player FPS since Half-life 2.  Infamous should have released later in the year with more publicity and LBP2 should have released October or November 2010 to help that year's holiday sales.  You've got all the pieces Sony.  Just time things better now!  R3 particulary pisses me off how they handled it because I love the game and Insomniac really put their heart into it.  It didn't sell well partially due to their own crappy previous entry and partly due to Sony's sucky ass ads and now they think they have to make party, DLC multiplayer focused, or multiplat games to be successful.  It's sad to think R3 might be Insomniac's last great work since R&C is my favorite game series of all time.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

It Only Does Everything except Cross Game Chat :(

I'm not sure how Sony is marketing PS Plus in the US, specifically the instant game collection. But if it is pushing it well and making people aware of the value then i think its quite a big factor.It's a particularly good deal for new PS3 owners.

Not to mention that this year's 199USD bundle is much better value for money considering the 4 free games that comes with it.

Bottom line: There's never been a better time to buy a PS3.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
michael_stutzer said:
Do we have any source other than Sony? I fully believe that Xbox 360 will be the best seller of 2012 worldwide with ease.

I don't see how anything has much of a chance against a 360 plus halo and COD in the states this holiday.

1. Sony is the only source right now, just like Nintendo and MS are the only sources for their numbers.

2. So you think MS will shrink the gap by over 1.5m from now until the end of the year? This year it doesn't even look like MS will match Sony in shipments (for the whole year), unlike last year. 

3. You've already seen that Halo+Cod was not enough to keep 360 from being ~25-30% down from last year, while PS3 was up around 10-15% in hardware sales. Last year, 360 gained around 500k during BF week alone. This year, it's looking more like 150k.

Yes, PS3 will finish this year in top probably, but please cut the bs. What is your prediction for how much down the PS3 and 360 will finish the year?   

I say the gap (for the year) may shrink another 300k so PS3 will be up 1 million for this year and the gap will be 2.2 million

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Didnt ask me but...

360 at ~74 Million
PS3 at ~72 Million

Give or take 500k.

Random guess without looking over anything. Probably gonna be quite a bit off.

kowenicki said:

.. but please cut the bs. What is your prediction for how much down the PS3 and 360 will finish the year?   

"cut the bs"?? He answered with three points everybody agrees on here. You should really behave, Kovenicki. Everybody that reads your posts knows you absolutely hate anything positive Sony does, but your answer is not warranted at all. Don't change the subject, either (as we all see how frustrated you are).

(Yes I know I get banned everytime for critisizing Kowenicki, but so be it).

pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
michael_stutzer said:
Do we have any source other than Sony? I fully believe that Xbox 360 will be the best seller of 2012 worldwide with ease.

I don't see how anything has much of a chance against a 360 plus halo and COD in the states this holiday.

1. Sony is the only source right now, just like Nintendo and MS are the only sources for their numbers.

2. So you think MS will shrink the gap by over 1.5m from now until the end of the year? This year it doesn't even look like MS will match Sony in shipments (for the whole year), unlike last year. 

3. You've already seen that Halo+Cod was not enough to keep 360 from being ~25-30% down from last year, while PS3 was up around 10-15% in hardware sales. Last year, 360 gained around 500k during BF week alone. This year, it's looking more like 150k.

Yes, PS3 will finish this year in top probably, but please cut the bs. What is your prediction for how much down the PS3 and 360 will finish the year?   YOY changes for the full year.

Excuse me, what part of my post was bullshit? Are you talking about USA only or WW numbers?

Funny that you would tell me to cut the bullshit when the one I was replying to said "I fully believe that 360 will be the best seller of 2012 worldwide with ease".

oh hey thanks for your profile pic.  I just put it on my facebook for the holidays :)

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

kowenicki said:

I dealt with that in the first part of the sentence.  I said PS3 will finish top.

bringing up a sales blip for one week in a year when it is down by 20% is pretty pointless imo. 

The whole thread is ridiculous tbh.  The PS3 will finish they year down 20% ish and have a worst 6th year performance than the 360 did.

How about you give it a rest eh Kowen?  Just for once, don't bother with the negativity and do something else.  Spend some time with your family, go outside and get some air, have another drink and watch a film or something.  Then come back and think "Does it really matter whether people in this thread are pleased with the Black Friday sales in the grand scheme of things?"  Hopefully the answer would be no.

I can tell you're upset/annoyed/disappointed/would rather talk about something else, but there's plenty of other threads on VGChartz.  You could make your own saying exactly what you said there about PS3 being more down YoY in it's 6th than 360 if you want.  But Pezus made this thread about Black Friday's sales and you're veering it tremendously off topic with year-long sales, just stop.  Go do something else.  Take a breather and reassess.