By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii to WiiU transfer

Thank you all for giving tips and tricks.
It`s awesome that you get every information that you need here on this forum pages.

I will be updating my console to WiiU, because i can transfer all my games.

Thanks again:)

Around the Network

Still in process of re downloading my titles that couldn't make the transfer (I have a shitload of VC and WW titles). Looks like I might have this system set up completely by the end of tonight.

What are you all doing with your empty Wii carcasses after the transfer?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:

What are you all doing with your empty Wii carcasses after the transfer?

Put it in my roommates room and took the Roku box she was using over to my parents to let them use Netflix is they care.  Hopefully, she will practice her Wii bowling skills or something so I can game with her again.  I get too frustrated trying to explain simple game concepts to her so only the very basic games she is able to grasp.

superchunk said:
Good video but not sure why they put the transfer tool on the SD card...

It was a very simple process.
1) Put SD card (can be full of other crap, just needs 512MB free space) in WiiU
2) Go to Wii channel on WiiU and install transfer tool.
3) Run transfer tool to prep SD card.
4) Turn on Wii and put SD in Wii.
5) Install transfer tool on Wii.
6) Run transfer tool on Wii to copy all game saves, channels, and other data to SD card.
7) Put SD card back into WiiU
8) Continue transfer tool process to load all game saves, channels, and other data onto WiiU.
9) Re-Download various games not copied over because you had them on SD card already or simply not installed.

A) So this won't copy every channel, only those usable by WiiU.
B) This won't allow you to use games on SD card that were working on original Wii. You will have to wipe that SD card and re-download those games.
C) The WiiU forces a 512MB limit on Wii channel storage, so yes, you'll still have to use an SD card. (to me this was stupid and the only part I think Nintendo F'd up on)
D) Old Wii will now be a blank slate and will not be able to use or re-download any old games and such. You can now safely reformat the Wii memory to return it to factory settings if needed. (If you do this, make sure you remove your WiiShop settings first including Club Nintendo linkage)

Either Nintendo doesn't want to have to "build" a Wii emulator, or Nintendo's making absolutely damn sure that no-one can patch their way into the Wii U from Wii backwards compatibility.

What would be an interesting thing to see would be if late-term Wii jailbreaks allow the Homebrew Channel to be installed on Wii U bc.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
superchunk said:

6) Run transfer tool on Wii to copy all game saves, channels, and other data to SD card.
8) Continue transfer tool process to load all game saves, channels, and other data onto WiiU.
9) Re-Download various games not copied over because you had them on SD card already or simply not installed.

B) This won't allow you to use games on SD card that were working on original Wii. You will have to wipe that SD card and re-download those games.
C) The WiiU forces a 512MB limit on Wii channel storage, so yes, you'll still have to use an SD card. (to me this was stupid and the only part I think Nintendo F'd up on)
D) Old Wii will now be a blank slate and will not be able to use or re-download any old games and such. You can now safely reformat the Wii memory to return it to factory settings if needed. (If you do this, make sure you remove your WiiShop settings first including Club Nintendo linkage)

Will all my saves be erased?  I'm playing Radiant Dawn on Hard Mode and it's a BITCH - I'd hate to lose that progress; and I have a bunch of completed game saves too.  Will they be wiped off the Wii internal flash memory at all?

Kenology said:
superchunk said:

Will all my saves be erased?  I'm playing Radiant Dawn on Hard Mode and it's a BITCH - I'd hate to lose that progress; and I have a bunch of completed game saves too.  Will they be wiped off the Wii internal flash memory at all?

Yes. Everything is purged and moved to the other platform.

There are Homebrew solutions, but the one i was trying wasn't working, so i just said "ahh fuck it" and moved forward.

It did, however, move the save-files from my extra-regional games. It was amusing seeing all those Japanese characters scroll over the top of the screen as they announced which files were moving.

So I have about 61 VC and WW titles. I believe that I probably bought more than the average person. I'm still just using a 2 GB SD card and it has plenty of room. 8 - 32 (I believe this is the most supported) GB SD cards would be major overkill. I believe you probably could fit almost all the VC / WW titles onto a 8 or 16 GB card.  If someone had about 100-150 VC/WW titles it would probably take 4-5 hours at least to do the transfer and download the titles again that couldn't make the transfer.  Sucks that you couldn't just take the old SD card out and pop it into the Wii U.  You can it will recognize the games but when you try and load them it will give you an error message.  This was to close any loop holes but still makes the transfer a lot slower if you have to re download a lot of titles.

Surprised Lords of Thunder TG16 is over 200 blocks.  Doesn't surprise me Neo Geo games are around that space but I didn't think a TG16 would be that high.  Must be all those bad ass rock songs in the game.

sethnintendo said:

So I have about 61 VC and WW titles. I believe that I probably bought more than the average person. I'm still just using a 2 GB SD card and it has plenty of room. 8 - 32 (I believe this is the most supported) GB SD cards would be major overkill. I believe you probably could fit almost all the VC / WW titles onto a 8 or 16 GB card.  If someone had about 100-150 VC/WW titles it would probably take 4-5 hours at least to do the transfer and download the titles again that couldn't make the transfer.  Sucks that you couldn't just take the old SD card out and pop it into the Wii U.  You can it will recognize the games but when you try and load them it will give you an error message.  This was to close any loop holes but still makes the transfer a lot slower if you have to re download a lot of titles.

Surprised Lords of Thunder TG16 is over 200 blocks.  Doesn't surprise me Neo Geo games are around that space but I didn't think a TG16 would be that high.  Must be all those bad ass rock songs in the game.

Lords of Thunder was a PC-Engine CD game. Think Sonic CD.

Hell. So if I put all my saves on another SD card, I will be able to put them back on the Wii's flash memory no problem at all right?

I don't see why that wouldn't be the case but I just want to be sure.