By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - An unbiased review of the WiiU: A JayWood2010 review

I am loving it. The gampad is great. They have so much stuff going on and its only going to get better.

Around the Network

Here are my first impressions:

1) The experience doesn't really feel new enough (but I will admit, we were playing multiplayer games all of yesterday so any 1 person's time with the gamepad was small).

2) The load times between every single menu is aggravating. Hopefully future system updates make everything a quicker process

3) I love that almost all games are being offered through digital download!

4) Tablet is fun and works really well for the games we've tried it on (which actually only included Nintendo Land)

All in all I'm enjoying the experience, but I won't be super excited until we get a new Metroid/Zelda/etc.

kopstudent89 said:
Good review! I for one can't wait to get one. Also I didn't know Zombi U had bad reviews :| Better check that out

Thanks. Here is the reviews of ZombiU so far.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/zombiu

"It took me two hours to update. While this probably has a lot to do with my sluggish average internet providor but that seems to be about how long it takes me to update my PS3 as well."

First of all, it sounds like you have a serious problem somewhere, perhaps with your PS3. I have slow DSL and it has never taken me anywhere close to 2 hours to update. That's just crazy, there has to be something wrong somewhere. If you can't fix it, then I would definitely go with the USB update option.

As for the review, nice job, it sounded fair. The Wii U requiring you to pull the plug to power down is not good at all, though it's possible it was due to the abnormally large patch and might not happen again. The 15 feet isn't so hot, either. Perhaps there will eventually be an accessory that extends the range.

The TV control stuff sounds really nifty. I don't stream anything through my game consoles but it sounds great for those who do.

Would you care to elaborate on the gamepad? To me that is its key feature yet you barely mentioned it.

You're pretty chill Jay, pretty darn chill.

Around the Network

so you don't have to stop if you need a poo and the toilet is close enough,now that's hardcore

i assume you can turn the main tv off and the gamepad acts as a handheld so to speak which i think is a good option,what about downloads are there all games from the wiinetwork to download on the WiiU how many new games for theWiiU are there to download adn do you have cards like PSN cards for the WiiU to add funds,is it the same as the wii(sorry i don't know about the wii/360 online)

i'm not really bothered about updates as i am used to them but i guess it's quite annoying if it's not your thing,so the gamepad works as a remote for your tv and cable/internet that's pretty cool kind of like a multimedia hub then now

Above & Beyond

Nice review, mate! As for the ZombiU thing, might as well rent it, so you can judge for yourself...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
pokoko said:
"It took me two hours to update. While this probably has a lot to do with my sluggish average internet providor but that seems to be about how long it takes me to update my PS3 as well."

First of all, it sounds like you have a serious problem somewhere, perhaps with your PS3. I have slow DSL and it has never taken me anywhere close to 2 hours to update. That's just crazy, there has to be something wrong somewhere. If you can't fix it, then I would definitely go with the USB update option.

As for the review, nice job, it sounded fair. The Wii U requiring you to pull the plug to power down is not good at all, though it's possible it was due to the abnormally large patch and might not happen again. The 15 feet isn't so hot, either. Perhaps there will eventually be an accessory that extends the range.

The TV control stuff sounds really nifty. I don't stream anything through my game consoles but it sounds great for those who do.

It's not really streaming.  You don't have to turn your WiiU on at all to use the WiiU controller as a remote for your TV.  It has a TV button on it that you can press at any time wether it is on or off and then you can use it as a remote for your TV.  I should have probably mentioned that.  It does have streaming services on it though like Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.

As far as the update that is due to my internet which is why I have to compare it what the speed of the update is closest to.  For example if it takes you about 30 minutes to update your PS3 then likely that is about how long the WiiU will update.  I use to have fast internet but my new internet providor is just average, kind of slow for high speed.  

I also cant believe that some people think that because ports of games from 360 or ps3 run worse on the wii u they think its because the console is underpowered. No lazy ports from developers are the main reasons. This system is going to be great, I am just sick of most of these developers and the shoddy work they do with respect to Nintendo. EA is one such company. Ubisoft has been so much better.

I love reading people's WiiU impressions, it's the closest I'll be getting to the actual console for a looong time lol