By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo should exit console making and create a channel instead!

Jazz2K said:
Flanneryaug said:
Nintendo are not leaving the console business anytime soon, they have no debt and billions of dollars in the bank. If you want to play their games, buy their console. Stop hoping that they fail so that you don't have to buy an extra console.

Like having billions in bank wil prevent you from failing... ask that to Sony...

Whether you like it or not games will go the movie route and be available on every devices. Let's see MS do this with XBLive soon enough.

Nintendo and Sony are differen't. Nintendo is a much smaller company, so having billions in the bank means a lot. Games will be available on multiple devices, but mainly just 3rd party games. 1st party games wont end up on multiple devices because they are what sells the systems.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Around the Network
Jazz2K said:
kowenicki said:
So MS and Sony shouldn't do this because they make slightly less powerful PC's in console clothing (this is apparently pushing innovation) but Ninty should because they don't innovate.

I think you are confused and I'm speaking as a 360 and PS3 guy before Wii.

I think Sony should do this because they are skint and they are morphing into a software company anyway (games, Music, Movies). May as well just get on with it.

Oh... I'm sorry. This IS a comedy thread... isnt it?

I never said they don't innovate... in fact I think they are the only ones that find all kinds of ways to play games. I respect them a lot for what they do and bring to the videogaming space but I can clearly see that they are in their own world and it's not enough to just cater to your business only. Third parties are very important in this business and I feel like with the Wii/WiiU they kind of lost it. Sure their games sell a lot and they have a strong fanbase. But why not have their games available to all? 

I mainly say this because Nintendo is trying to catch up with MS and Sony in an area where they are rather new just in order to stay in the competition. What they do best is making games. Now they create a controller in order to appeal to third parties, they put apps on their consoles to catch up with MS and Sony... in fact I could see them converging more and more towards MS and Sony models. Why do this? People will still get Nintendo games mainly on their consoles and leave shoddy ports resulting in less third party support than ever. Wii got away with it but I don't think WiiU will.

@1st Bolded: Nintendo actually CREATED the 3rd party modell you know... And with the Wii U they've worked very closely with 3rd parties, so they know hoe important it is.

@2nd Bolded: False. What they do best is innovate and then applying it to games. Just take a look at the D-pad. Industry standard. Who created it? Nintendo. And take a look at the XYAB-button lay out and shoulder buttons. Nintendo. And the analog stick? Nintendo.

THIS is why the industry NEEDS Nintendo. They innovate. Tell me something Sony has done that became industry standard that didn't come from Nintendo first. Or MS as well for that matter (<--- daaaamn I hope SEGA was first with online capabilities :D)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Jazz2K said:
DanneSandin said:
This is a terrible idea since they made the most money this past gen. Even GC made them shit loads of money. Imagine if they made a console that got good/great 3rd party support AND had their 1st party games... Sony and MS would go out of business ;P

And as for Nintendo going 3rd party... That's such a bad idea I don't even know where to begin describing how bad it is. I'll say this: 3rd party games don't sell on Nintendo console because of their games (apparently). Noe, imagine Nintendo games on any other console. This would mean that no one would buy any games other than Nintendo's and 1st party games wouldn't sell at all.

So there's no room for a 3rd party Nintendo since no one else would be able to sell any games at all. THAT'S the next video game crash!!

Third party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles because they are bad ports or they are just thrown there for a quick cash. Of course in comparison Nintendo games are way better because they take their time to develop for their platform. Thirs parties take their time and invest more on Xbox and PS because they can both support the same engines and control scheme. The same happens with Kinect, too different to allow too much budget on it so a lot of shovleware are made for it.

Unless both PS4 and 720 sport a tablet like controller and a not too powerful hardware compared to WiiU, the same thing will happen again. Unreal Engine 4 will shine on both of them but will be mediocre at best on Wii U... shoddy ports all over again? Nintendo games will sell well but not third's.

Hey, you're old enough to remember NES, SNES and the likes. It's ONE gen where Nintendo got fucked up ports.

I honestly think that at least PS4 will be on par with Wii U, or slighlty more powerful, but not enough so that Wii U can't get GOOD ports from PS4. And if WiiStation is similar in power, that's where 3rd party support will lie.

And regarding your UE4 comment... It will even look better on a PC, so that argument isn't valid anyway. If graphics were all that mattered everyone would play PC.

RolStoppable said:
The simplest solution for having all the best games on one single platform is this: Third parties should make proper games for the Nintendo system.

hear hear!!

Jazz2K said:

You won't see me badmouthing Nintendo as I don't see the point of doing this. Maybe I'm biased but it's an Idea I came up with. I see all these threads agains't WiiU and it's controller tablet. I see all these Nintendo is kiddy and gets all the shovleware and bad ports threads on a lot of forums. Maybe Nintendo hardware is made so only Nintendo can come up with great games? 

Nothing would prevent Nintendo from releasing some sort of peripheral like they did with balance board to allow gamers to experience Nintendo's ways of playing. They're good at doing this anyway. Of course I would push them to change their business model, instead of investing in doing things that are not gaming related.

No worries. Your point about the internet isn't a good one because the internet likes to make a lot of noise. It has absolutely no relevance to what the outside world wants. Look at vita. Journalists, gamefaqs and neogaf were writing their opinions about how sony has the handheld to own. The price is affordable and I even saw people saying it had the best launch lineup ever. Now we get trolls who are saying to drop the price or "vita has no games". There are people writing doom and gloom. Seems they are wrong considering preorders.

You say it yourself. The problem isn't "third parties don't sell on nintendo". The problem is the users who choose to ignore the games because of whatever reason they have. I don't believe wii u will meet the same fate as wii for a second. Touch screen has been proven to be accepted by core gamers. Ds, 3ds and vita prove this. It doesn't effect the 'core' nature of the game. Also they have a pro controller for those who just can't accept wii u. They have done everything they possibly can to fix the complaints from those people.

I might not like that microsoft and sony's systems are (my view here) pretty much the same but with the first party being the only difference, but that doesn't mean I want them to go. The choice is there for those that want it. Also, people are comparing wii u to ps3 and 360. They aren't comparing it to the new consoles.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:
The simplest solution for having all the best games on one single platform is this: Third parties should make proper games for the Nintendo system.

We're trying to make realistic proposals here, Rol.

Sorry about that. I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote that post.

You weren't thinking about the poor executives of MGS and SCE. Where would they go when that happened?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

DanneSandin said:
Jazz2K said:
kowenicki said:
So MS and Sony shouldn't do this because they make slightly less powerful PC's in console clothing (this is apparently pushing innovation) but Ninty should because they don't innovate.

I think Sony should do this because they are skint and they are morphing into a software company anyway (games, Music, Movies). May as well just get on with it.

I never said they don't innovate... in fact I think they are the only ones that find all kinds of ways to play games. I respect them a lot for what they do and bring to the videogaming space but I can clearly see that they are in their own world and it's not enough to just cater to your business only. Third parties are very important in this business and I feel like with the Wii/WiiU they kind of lost it. Sure their games sell a lot and they have a strong fanbase. But why not have their games available to all? 

I mainly say this because Nintendo is trying to catch up with MS and Sony in an area where they are rather new just in order to stay in the competition. What they do best is making games. Now they create a controller in order to appeal to third parties, they put apps on their consoles to catch up with MS and Sony... in fact I could see them converging more and more towards MS and Sony models. Why do this? People will still get Nintendo games mainly on their consoles and leave shoddy ports resulting in less third party support than ever. Wii got away with it but I don't think WiiU will.

@1st Bolded: Nintendo actually CREATED the 3rd party modell you know... And with the Wii U they've worked very closely with 3rd parties, so they know hoe important it is.

@2nd Bolded: False. What they do best is innovate and then applying it to games. Just take a look at the D-pad. Industry standard. Who created it? Nintendo. And take a look at the XYAB-button lay out and shoulder buttons. Nintendo. And the analog stick? Nintendo.

THIS is why the industry NEEDS Nintendo. They innovate. Tell me something Sony has done that became industry standard that didn't come from Nintendo first. Or MS as well for that matter (<--- daaaamn I hope SEGA was first with online capabilities :D)

Yes I know they created third parties. Did they think about the third parties in the 64 era? Cartridges when the industry was going to CDs? Did they cared about third parties with Gamecube? A controller with less buttons and functionalities than the other two? Where were all those third parties during the Wii era when the console was underpowered compared to the competition? And now with the WiiU? I mean... c'mon, they don't care much about third parties anymore.

They set industry standards yes and kept this with Wii by making motion gaming mainstream. I hope they do well next gen... but I wouldn't count on it.

Wii balance board proved that they could come up with ideas of their own without the need of a specific console. New Mario game needs this controller? It would still sell gangbuster if they pack said controller with the game, people love Mario...

But maybe I don't get it... I rarely see people talk about third party games that are not exclusive to Nintendo consoles mainly because these games are way better on other consoles. People that talk about Nintendo consoles most of the time they talk about Nintendo games and it's normal seeing how bad other games are. We could blame third parties all we want... but just like Sony is getting all the flack for making a hard to develop console, Nintendo doesn't care about third parties, all they want is to sell their games... but they don't need a console to do so.

noname2200 said:
bananaking21 said:
noname2200 said:
Meh, sounds too complicated. They should just do what their investors want, and go iOS from now on. Clean, simple, and above all, guaranteed to be extremely profitable.

and make unplayable or barley playable, stupid, short and extremely shallow games as well. doesnt that describe touch screen gaming?

Too many game journalists disagree for me to say that's true.

what game journalist has ever said that iOS games have depth, tight gameplay and tight controls like console games? also what iOS games have the length of games like skyrim or the replaiblity of games like CoD or battlefield?

Jazz2K said:
DanneSandin said:
Jazz2K said:
kowenicki said:

Yes I know they created third parties. Did they think about the third parties in the 64 era? Cartridges when the industry was going to CDs? Did they cared about third parties with Gamecube? A controller with less buttons and functionalities than the other two? Where were all those third parties during the Wii era when the console was underpowered compared to the competition? And now with the WiiU? I mean... c'mon, they don't care much about third parties anymore.

Well, them not getting 3rd party support in the mid 90's is partly due to cartridges, but mostly becuase they ass raped 3rd parties for 2 gens - which is never good :P And this has affected them ever since. Going in to this gen that might change. IF Wii U is slightly less powerful than PS720 they will still get 3rd party games, and THEN we'll see how things evolve from there.

They set industry standards yes and kept this with Wii by making motion gaming mainstream. I hope they do well next gen... but I wouldn't count on it.

Wii balance board proved that they could come up with ideas of their own without the need of a specific console. New Mario game needs this controller? It would still sell gangbuster if they pack said controller with the game, people love Mario...

But maybe I don't get it... I rarely see people talk about third party games that are not exclusive to Nintendo consoles mainly because these games are way better on other consoles. People that talk about Nintendo consoles most of the time they talk about Nintendo games and it's normal seeing how bad other games are. We could blame third parties all we want... but just like Sony is getting all the flack for making a hard to develop console, Nintendo doesn't care about third parties, all they want is to sell their games... but they don't need a console to do so.

You're still missing the point; they ARE in fact working hard to get 3rd party support this gen. They saw how it hurted them with the Wii, and now they're trying to correct this. They revived Baoynetta 2 and will publish this. That's a 3rd party hard core game right there.

CCFanboy said:
Jazz2K said:

You won't see me badmouthing Nintendo as I don't see the point of doing this. Maybe I'm biased but it's an Idea I came up with. I see all these threads agains't WiiU and it's controller tablet. I see all these Nintendo is kiddy and gets all the shovleware and bad ports threads on a lot of forums. Maybe Nintendo hardware is made so only Nintendo can come up with great games? 

Nothing would prevent Nintendo from releasing some sort of peripheral like they did with balance board to allow gamers to experience Nintendo's ways of playing. They're good at doing this anyway. Of course I would push them to change their business model, instead of investing in doing things that are not gaming related.

No worries. Your point about the internet isn't a good one because the internet likes to make a lot of noise. It has absolutely no relevance to what the outside world wants. Look at vita. Journalists, gamefaqs and neogaf were writing their opinions about how sony has the handheld to own. The price is affordable and I even saw people saying it had the best launch lineup ever. Now we get trolls who are saying to drop the price or "vita has no games". There are people writing doom and gloom. Seems they are wrong considering preorders.

You say it yourself. The problem isn't "third parties don't sell on nintendo". The problem is the users who choose to ignore the games because of whatever reason they have. I don't believe wii u will meet the same fate as wii for a second. Touch screen has been proven to be accepted by core gamers. Ds, 3ds and vita prove this. It doesn't effect the 'core' nature of the game. Also they have a pro controller for those who just can't accept wii u. They have done everything they possibly can to fix the complaints from those people.

I might not like that microsoft and sony's systems are (my view here) pretty much the same but with the first party being the only difference, but that doesn't mean I want them to go. The choice is there for those that want it. Also, people are comparing wii u to ps3 and 360. They aren't comparing it to the new consoles.

I hope the other two are more powerful than the WiiU. I don't need a console that is barely more powerful than the currents. Third parties are very strong this gen and they sell more games than ever. Sony makes more first party games than MS yes but most of the appeal come from third party games. Of course some key 1st party games makes people want more one than the other (Halo/Uncharted) but overall COD, Mass Effect, Skyrim, GTA etc are the star of gaming these days. If your console can't properly play those... maybe all you care about are 1st party games hence why I think they should release all of their games on every devices possible.