By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does sony have a franchise that will sell the PS4 out of the gate

CGI-Quality said:
fauzman said:
Sony doesnt have great-selling titles.

Why people seem to leave out Gran Turismo, still!

Again, the only company with extreme selling franchises is Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft are basically tied, but Sony has more IPs that sell moderate-good.

I tend to agree with you a lot but XBOX actually has probably just as many exclusive Console titles with multi million sales.  Halo and gears being the two biggest they have.  There is others like fable, forza, L4D, Crackdown, Alan Wake, Perfect dark, mass effect, Dead or Alive 3, Viva Pinata, etc etc.  The reason people forget a lot of this is because xbox exclusives came out early in the gen where sony's has came out later. 

Sony has a bigger first party but Miscrosoft is more aggressive and buys exclusives wether for a short time or permanate 

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
KeptoKnight said:

Gran turismo is like FiFa. It doesn't seem like it will sell but it does. For some reason I still feel like its not that big of a title. Its just receiving some lucky charms.lol

Then it received those "lucky charms" quite a bit, since it's been selling 9.3-14.89 million since it first launched in the 90s. The truth is Gran Turismo is a very large franchise, it just seems like many on this site don't realize that.

I feel like betting that the sequel (GT 6) will sell less than 8.1 million =X

JayWood2010 said:
Normando said:
I don't know I actually think Sony might be in a better spot than Microsoft. Not only does Sony have more 1st party franchises which gives them the ability to have a larger library at launch. But most of Microsofts big names have games that either just came out or are coming out soon. How long will they have to wait to launch the neXtbox with a Halo and GOW game?

Sorry, I was never intending for people to think Sony was going to fail.  I meant will it come out of the gate with a huge crowd following it or will it be a few years like the PS3 for it to gain a crowd. Ill be buying PS4 and the neXbox when they come out most likely.  Well I'm sure I will with the NeXbox because I know they're making Halo for it.  But then I thought about all the exclusives for the PS3 but none of them are really established beyond Uncharted, GT, and God of War.  God of War and Uncharted sell really well but not massive either, plus we dont even know if they will be continueing them.  So that's why I thought I'd ask

And I haven't read all the comments, so I can only imagine what that was like O.O  I stopped somewhere around the FF vs GT debate

Sorry it didn't post my text...pretty much I said I think Sony needs two things at or near launch.

1. GT6
2. a high profile shooter

Oh, and to the person who said Forza is getting really popular. Not really. The sales of 4 have been well off of what they were at the same time for 3. I'm not confident a Forza game will ever see sales like 3 has again.

JayWood2010 said:
CGI-Quality said:
fauzman said:
Sony doesnt have great-selling titles.

Why people seem to leave out Gran Turismo, still!

Again, the only company with extreme selling franchises is Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft are basically tied, but Sony has more IPs that sell moderate-good.

I tend to agree with you a lot but XBOX actually has probably just as many exclusive Console titles with multi million sales.  Halo and gears being the two biggest they have.  There is others like fable, forza, L4D, Crackdown, Alan Wake, Perfect dark, mass effect, Dead or Alive 3, Viva Pinata, etc etc.  The reason people forget a lot of this is because xbox exclusives came out early in the gen where sony's has came out later. 

Sony has a bigger first party but Miscrosoft is more aggressive and buys exclusives wether for a short time or permanate

But will we see the same strategy next gen?  Because, to be honest, I don't think all the one year exclusives Microsoft bought at the beginning of this gen really ended up in their best interest, as Sony enforced the rule that they would only take a later release if it contained added content and was the definitive version.  I think it ended up being a long-term negative, which is why Microsoft abandoned that strategy and went with negotiating for timed exclusive DLC.  I'm pretty sure they're more pleased with that.

Even in Japan, where Microsoft spent a ton of money on exclusive games, are they likely to continue throwing cash down a well?  It basically did nothing for them there.  Will they give up on the Japanese market entirely?

I'm not so sure that we're going to see as many exclusive titles for the 720 from outside developers as we did for the 360.  I think most developers realize that the money is with going multi-platform.  Microsoft would have to spend a LOT to convince them otherwise and I'm not even sure they have enough money to accomplish that, not with a market that now includes THREE platforms.

Which brings up the question of Epic and Gears of War.  Imagine the size that IP could reach if expanded across the PS4 and Wii U.  Those are some serious dollar signs floating around for them to think about.

Around the Network

Sony has the best frist party games. So killzone will sell out the ps4

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

A single franchise? No.

They need more than one franchise to sell the PS4, and they have got it. I somehow doubt that they will want to release several great franchises at launch though. People don't want to experience a drought after release. (An issue that Nintendo counters by simply not releasing all finished games at once.)

All in all, I would say the PS4's success is mainly depending on Sony's ability to make new IP's and maintain their third party support. Their current big IP's alone are not sufficient.

superchunk said:
Jay520 said:

How can you say GT isn't comparable to Halo when GT sells only a tiny bit lower?

Was GT5 the turning point for PS3? Does it prove a jump in PS3 sales that carry forward similar to NSMBWii or Wii Fit?

Its a big title and I did say it was Sony's largest, but its not a Halo or Mario title. Its still a niche genre.

It a niche? It sales as well as Halo. it certainly is a halo. Racing is way bigger then you realise, there are million dedicated to sim racing and pay for sites like iracing, and many other titles show this.

pokoko said:

Seriously, though, really strange thread for me.  I buy consoles for their library, not for one game.  It's different for some people, I know, but I think there are enough people who feel the same way I do that Sony should be just fine next generation.  After all, even this year, which has been a down year for Sony exlusives, a year when Microsoft launched one of its biggest games ever, and the PS4 will still probably out-sell the 360 or come very close.

Doesn't that tell us that this question is probably inconsequential?

Yeah it's weird how people can buy a console just for ONE game... When I went to pick up my Zelda SS I saw dudes buying the Wii and Zelda... Why, why do that? I'm not buying a system until there's a few titles on the console I want.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I think combining all exclusive system sellers (big and small) Sony takes this fight. They got GT, UC, GoW, LBP and more while Microsoft has Halo, GeoW (but that could go multiplat next gen) and... Fable? Going by 1st party games Sony easily wins.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.