By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Virtual Console Coming in the Future

Viper1 said:
I suspect it can't because the Wii Virtual Console is actually an emulator which naturally never had any Wii U functionality in mind when it was designed. It also seems that all Wii functions are sandboxed away from the higher Wii U level systems to prevent older Wii exploits. It's also probably a lot easier to enable Wii features in their own software environment rather than try to fully integrate it directly into the Wii U software environment.

That's the way I understand it from what I've read.  We'll have to wait for WiiU's own VC to play classics on the Gamepad screen.  The good news is that they will include GC games, and I'd love to be able to play Wind Waker, Viewtiful Joe, etc in that way.

For that very reason, I'll likely keep my Wii VC games on my Wii rather than performing a system transfer to WiiU.  There's just something really cool about having a small little box that contains almost 100 classics that I can easily move to any TV and enjoy while my WiiU remains connected to my big screen HDTV.

Around the Network

On one hand I'm relieved by this... on the other I'm afraid this could mean a trickle of 1-2 VC games a week again (basically Nintendo re-re-releasing the exact same games as "Wii U Virtual Consoles games" - see 3DS).

"And this week's update - Super Mario Bros. 2! Wow! It only took us 2 years to port this game over to the new VC! Isn't that exciting?"

I hope this isn't one of those things where it takes like six months for them to update things.

I don't see why they can't at least have a few Wii U Virtual Console titles this year. Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 64, Yoshi's Island, Punch-Out! (one game from each console) at least would be nice.

And yes, it's probably going to mean it will take forever for all the Wii VC stuff (Final Fantasy VI, Zelda: LttP, Super Mario World, Star Fox 64) to come to the Wii U VC as Nintendo will probably slow trickle it out.

Soundwave said:

I hope this isn't one of those things where it takes like six months for them to update things.

I don't see why they can't at least have a few Wii U Virtual Console titles this year. Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 64, Yoshi's Island, Punch-Out! (one game from each console) at least would be nice.

And yes, it's probably going to mean it will take forever for all the Wii VC stuff (Final Fantasy VI, Zelda: LttP, Super Mario World, Star Fox 64) to come to the Wii U VC as Nintendo will probably slow trickle it out.

Heck, we're still waiting for Yoshi's Island on the Wii VC...

Wait. I'm confused by this article. Iwata says he can't accomodate people who want to play VC on their gamepads. But an earlier line seems to imply that it will be possible after a system update. So... what? What's going on.

Around the Network
blackstarr said:
Wait. I'm confused by this article. Iwata says he can't accomodate people who want to play VC on their gamepads. But an earlier line seems to imply that it will be possible after a system update. So... what? What's going on.

They can't at the moment, but will in the future.

As long as we eventually get GameCube games, I'm happy.

+1000 points if Nintendo does an "HD Classics" line of games.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:

Indeed.  Being able to play Wind Waker, Metroid Prime and Rogue Leader in 720p widescreen would be pure bliss.

archbrix said:
F0X said:

Indeed.  Being able to play Wind Waker, Metroid Prime and Rogue Leader in 720p widescreen would be pure bliss.

Metroid Prime HD... Wouldn't that, like, break the awesomeness barrier or something?

WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

RolStoppable said:
F0X said:
archbrix said:
F0X said:

Metroid Prime HD... Wouldn't that, like, break the awesomeness barrier or something?

Nope, because the game is great as it is. By the way, I am never sure if I can respect gamers who are constantly asking for HD updates. It always seems to come with the stench of "I can't get myself to play this game again, unless it gets an update".

True. After all, I'm only saying this because I've played through the game many, many times, and I'm looking for any excuse to go play it again beyond my usual "well, I should at least play it once a year".

...on the other hand, I don't think there's anything with a graphical update as long as it brings some gameplay improvements to the table, like Ocarina of Time 3D. I can think of more than a few good uses of the GamePad for sure, not to mention the shoulder button which the GameCube didn't have.