By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 dev kit news has surfaced!

disolitude said:
JoeTheBro said:
disolitude said:
drkohler said:
disolitude said:
Sadly PS4 won't be able to do this as the 3D spec doesn't support 1080p anything over HDMI. 1080p @ 24fps for bluray is max it can do. Only connection allowing for 1080p 3D gaming is dual link DVI.

What the hell are you babbling here? Read the HDM I 1.3 specs and then read HDMI 1.4 specs to fully wake up..

You really wanna get in to a 3D argument with me?

I know that the HDMI 1.4a standard has support for 1080p@60 3D. To utilize this standard TV';s need have an HDMI chip that runs at 297 mhz. These chips aren't availabl in commercial TVs just yet. 4K TV's will use them as will possibly other high end 1080p TV's in the next few years but not a single TV sold today at your local Best buy supports 3D at 1080p@60hz

Dude, my TV supports 3D at 1080p at 120 hz. While I agree with you, you are at the same time wrong.

Would you mind giving me your TV's model number? I will politely prove you wrong...

lg 65lm6200

Passive glasses, half the resolution per eye ;)

Also 120 hz was added in a firmware update

Around the Network
FatalInertia said:
Sigh, cannot get past 1 page now without the SONY IS DOOMED police, its getting old. Can we just have 1 good thread about something?

Same can be said about all the WiiU threads on here.

It is jsut a battle between sides atm lol.

disolitude said:
JoeTheBro said:

Dude, my TV supports 3D at 1080p at 120 hz. While I agree with you, you are at the same time wrong.

Would you mind giving me your TV's model number? I will politely prove you wrong...

I don't think there are any TVs out that can do it. PS4 is supposedly coming out late dec 2013 (optimists) or sometimes in 2014 (pessimists). The rewuired HDMI chips are available, and maybe the HDMI consortium and the TV makers will figure it out by then...

JoeTheBro said:
disolitude said:
JoeTheBro said:
disolitude said:
drkohler said:
disolitude said:
Sadly PS4 won't be able to do this as the 3D spec doesn't support 1080p anything over HDMI. 1080p @ 24fps for bluray is max it can do. Only connection allowing for 1080p 3D gaming is dual link DVI.

What the hell are you babbling here? Read the HDM I 1.3 specs and then read HDMI 1.4 specs to fully wake up..

You really wanna get in to a 3D argument with me?

I know that the HDMI 1.4a standard has support for 1080p@60 3D. To utilize this standard TV';s need have an HDMI chip that runs at 297 mhz. These chips aren't availabl in commercial TVs just yet. 4K TV's will use them as will possibly other high end 1080p TV's in the next few years but not a single TV sold today at your local Best buy supports 3D at 1080p@60hz

lg 65lm6200

Passive glasses, half the resolution per eye ;)

Also 120 hz was added in a firmware update

Nice TV.

That TV is capable of refreshing it's screen at 120hz (many TVs are). However it can not take a 120 hz signal. Signal it takes through HDMI has to be 60 hz maximum. If you were to sendit 1080p @ 120hz, the TV would give you a black screen and a message "mode not supported" or similar.

If you go to theis page and download the manual and go to page 37 you will see it's vertical and horizontal refresh rate capabilities for HDMI.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-65LM6200#

Resolution Horizontal Frequency (kHz) Vertical Frequency (Hz)

1920X1080
33.72 33.75 26.97 27 33.716 33.75 67.43 67.5
59.94 60 23.97 24 29.976 30.00 59.94 60

There are a handful of displays that support 120hz input which is that you need for 1080p 3D @ 60hz. All of them do it using display port or dual link DVI.

90% of these displays are listed here - http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-displays.html

VGKing said:

I'm not that educated in GPU/CPU tech but these specs from earlier in the year sound more powerful than a Wii U. Specs have only been upgraded with each new leak.

This topic has already been discussed to death in another thread.

There really is no need for this whole thread, everything has been said in other threads.

Around the Network
drkohler said:
disolitude said:
JoeTheBro said:

I don't think there are any TVs out that can do it. PS4 is supposedly coming out late dec 2013 (optimists) or sometimes in 2014 (pessimists). The rewuired HDMI chips are available, and maybe the HDMI consortium and the TV makers will figure it out by then...

They probably will. I'm pretty sure they will have it ready for 4K TVs, but those are nowhere near being ready for retail.

Knowing these console manufacturers, and especially sony, they will boast 4K/1080p@60 3D  ready. While the only thing they will be doing at those resolutions is screenshots or something basic like that.

Even today 99% of 3D console games run at 1/2 720p @ 30 fps when doing 3D, with a crapload of upscalling to get them to 720p per eye resolution. Yet they all say that they are "HDMI 1.4 3D Ready". More like 1/2 HDMI 1.4 ready :)

Even if next gen is stuck at true 720p 3D@60, it will be a big jump from what we have today.

JayWood2010 said:

What I'm saying is relevant and I'm not even going to make comparisons, but if you think selling less than 3 million with almost a year on the market is a good thing? Mistake 1:  High Price point.  Mistake 2:  Console games will stay on home consoles. 3: Memory Cards.

Regardless of all that, what I'm saying is who knows if sony wont make the same mistake with the PS4 until we see it ourselves.  Unless you have some crystal ball you don't know.  They made the same mistakes with the Vita as they did with the PSP so who knows about the PS4

I'm not saying the Vita isn't having problems or that it has been selling well. I anticipated at least 8 millions sales by 2013 and it is well below that. The mistakes of the Vita are not the same as mistakes of the past. The environment is different. My list of mistakes is different than yours:

Mistake 1: Launch timing. This has more to do with their decisions after unpredictable market circumstances. The flooding, tsunami, and nuclear disaster put a huge strain on Japan and important manufacturing efforts for Sony. Their world wide December launch was now impossible but instead of refocusing they opted to stagger the launch by launching in Japan first, the country where their launch line up was the weakest, leaving them wide open to public backlash as sales plumetted in that region. While in February system fans provided a strong opening week world wide, the system entered straight into the down season and hit a second wave of low sales publicty. The way we communicate has dramatically changed over the last decade. The internet is the main medium, especially among the dominant age group of gamers. Rumor, negative recommendation, perception, are all far more effective than in any period of human history. It can make or break, mostly break, and Vita took a hit during this vital time.

Mistake 2: Still launching after 3DS repricing. Given they had very good reason to delay their launch already, continuing further after their direct competitor slashed their price far below the Vita's and witnessed a huge sales boost, it is a wonder why the continued to push their original launch window. The dedicated handheld market has two major players and it is not good to be the one $70 more than the other. To the average consumer, say someone purchasing a gift, the decision is heavily geared towards the lower price point. Especially true if the consumer knows very little of the system they are purchasing, namely the difficult concept of future potential. By delaying their launch they could have broke into the market after the 3DS upswing and as sales fell off. That mixed with the strength of a world wide release would have helped prevent the sales slump it created for itself.

Mistake 3: Future potential. There is just way too much of it. At launch the system only had so much going for it. A variety of features at launch would have helped the system, like PSone support and PS Mobile. These things would be more identifiable with the Vita had they been there in the first discussions of the system and helped pushed along its ability like a large collection of classics and a iOS/Android market store with apps and games. An instant talking point. Now, it is after the fact and will take recouping loss public perception. A missed opportunity.

As for addressing your idea of mistakes:

1. High price. no one is going to argue game consoles aren't expensive, Vita is no exception, but had the price not been undercut by the 3DS months before its perceived expense wouldn't be such a disparancy. A high price wouldn't be seen as a negative if the sales of the system were higher and while price is undoubtably part of the consumer decision process it is flexable and influenced heavily by perceived value and alternative option.

2. Games are games. Whether we are talking about bite sized ones to long epics the deciding factor is the consumer not the hardware. There is nothing about games that must be played on a large screen while sitting on a couch or a small screen in your hands sitting anywhere. A handheld system can be played at home and any game can be paused immediately, whether to stop gaming or to multi tasks with apps. Games "fit" for handhelds are on home consoles, games fit for "home consoles" are on handhelds. Home console franchises are among the biggest sellers on handheld systems and mobile games like Angry Birds sell pretty damn well on home consoles. The ability for a handheld to do what a home console can is a great thing. Not being able to do those things in the bad thing. Vita provides great ability, not just in graphics, or in engines, or in AI, but also in online functionality. Online multiplayer has distinquished this generation and the Vita can provide that seminal function. That is good. Plenty of home console franchises have already made it on Vita, Uncharted, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed. They did it last gen too, except this time the tech is better able to cater to the demands these games bring. A more accurate statement than yours would be "console games will move to handhelds and this time be better".

3. Memory cards. No doubt the cards are expensive. A cheaper SD option would have been nicer on the pockets, but Sony was worried about preventing piracy and increasing profit margins. Not all of it is profit gouging though, the new cards mean higher production costs. Anyway, having memory cards as compared to internal storage provides the consumer with more options and an ability to upgrade easily. People who don't buy the system complain about memory cards. This entire year it would be hard not to find a Vita with a memory card bundled in. From launch till now there has always been available bundles, the best being now since they contain games. Despite the small size of a 4gb it is entirely capable of handling the physical gamers needs and PSN allows you to redownload anything you purchase. A memory card is an afterthought to the initial purchase. If it prevents anyone from buying a Vita, they never planned on buying it in the first place. Either you get one in a bundle or you want a bigger card and therefore you want a Vita. So I find the memory card arguement not to hodl much weight to why the system isn't selling.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Bristow9091 said:
I hope it's the most powerful of the three next gen consoles, but at the same time, easier to code for, so we don't see shoddy ports again, lol.

It will be fine. They wont make the same mistake twice. They know what they need to do now. We'll all find out soon.

Yeah that's what they said about the Vita too....

So basically you're billing them for failure?

No, I'm not saying that.  I love sony but they have had horrible business plans for a while now so who knows with them.

They fucked up this gen, but managed to keep credibility and gained respect as a first party developer more than any of their competitors this gen. They also increased their online capabilities, which keep them as a hot commodity for initial core gamers who want to be early adopters. We've heard no peep out of Uncharted and we know the next game is being held back until next gen for sure. Lets see whether Sony starts with a bang shall we? They might have screwed up the Vita launch, but the PS3 was profitable for a reason and I think they've learned from the PS3's mistakes.

I agree about the first party for sure.  Uncharted though is another who knows though.  Looking at Naughty Dog they usually just do 3 games in a series.  I love Uncharted so I hope they at least make one more though.  Sony needs to stop giving Uncharted to other studios though because other studioes will ruin it. 

Bend Studios did a great job.

Roughly two years dev time for most games since a dev kit close enough to definitive HW is available, this should mean a Q4 2014 launch.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Roughly two years dev time for most games since a dev kit close enough to definitive HW is available, this should mean a Q4 2014 launch.

They've had the graphics card pinned for the PS4 a while now so they've been developing already. These new dev kits are additional clarification on final specs and branching out to more developers who may or may not be aiming for launch.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(