By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

green_sky said:

7)  Shadow of the Colossus (PS3) - Guessed by AlphaCielago. I played this game in its hd iteration and years later than it first came out. Not much has lost or surpassed the kind of overwhelming feeling you get as approach each othe colossi. The game level design takes minimalistic approach by stripping of random generic enemies and this gives the player of loneliness in a vast mysterious world. The character design is some of best. The different emotive expressions on each of the colossi is something which is hard to forget. It truly is a masterpiece and a game to be played every once in a while. 

6) Jade Empire (XBOX) - Guessed by Mr. Khan. Microsoft pretty much gave up on the original xbox after they rushed and released Halo 2. I felt abandoned that my year old purchase would go to waste. Thankfully the master storytellers at Bioware came to the rescue with a accessible action RPG. I loved the easy to follow and yet deep combat, the ancient china inspired setting and the colourful characters in this semi choose your adventure game. One of the few games i played twice in my life. It really was a great experience.

5) COD: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3) - Guessed by Mr. Khan. I was not really familiar with COD franchise or games before i bought this game out of sheer hype exploding on the internetz. So this was my first call of duty and modern warfare game. I did went back to play its prequel later to understand where the hype came from. The story was bit of a mess and i had to read up on it to even understand what was going on. The gameplay is where this game shines. This is barely anything that felt this smooth and it looked mightly good too. To this day it looks better to my eyes than Black Ops 1 and MW3 but that could just be because my eyes were getting its initial dose of HD. Also it became my first serious multiplayer game as i logged in over 600 hours into its multiplayer. I doubt that feat is going to be matched any time soon. 

Hints:

4) Turn of the century tale of a cowboy in an open ended world.

3) The pioneer of the 2d platformers and launch game of the most famous character ever.

2) Any mention of this game's developer leads to people asking for this game's sequel. 

1) Highest rated playstation exclusive this generation.

4.) Read Dead Redemption

3.) Super Mario Bros.

2.) Half-Life 2?

1.) Uncharted 2?

Around the Network
KHlover said:
green_sky said:

Hints:

4) Turn of the century tale of a cowboy in an open ended world.

3) The pioneer of the 2d platformers and launch game of the most famous character ever.

2) Any mention of this game's developer leads to people asking for this game's sequel. 

1) Highest rated playstation exclusive this generation.

4.) Read Dead Redemption

3.) Super Mario Bros.

2.) Half-Life 2?

1.) Uncharted 2?

My hints are always too easy. Yes to all sir

4. Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II, GC/XB (2002) Sega/Sonic Team

I'm really not sure why i was so eager to buy this game, but i was. And it was one hell of an investment, needing to buy a GC Modem and plunk $15 a month in subscription fees, and later i invested in a keyboard as well. But it was all worth it, as i played this game a great hell of a lot, and it helped me develop a lot of the patience to play RPGs (though due to all the cheating that went on in the game, not all the patience was needed). It was a simple enough game: get together with up to four people and take on the reasonably short main story: Four areas, 10 levels for Episode I and four areas, 10 levels for episode II. Add in lots and lots (and lots and lots) of different weapons, a panoply of spells if you chose a caster type, and lots of worthwhile sidequests, you had a game that inspired infinite playability in a manner similar to Monster Hunter (and part of the reason i love Monster Hunter so much, but this game got there first, so will likely always have this higher position).

One of the fun-but-naughty things you could do to troll other users was acquire one of the music CDs, and then play them right when a lengthy boss-fight was starting, getting people stuck in the song of your choice.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

In number 3 a certain type of player preferred to play on this bare-bones stage, which shared a name with a fate-based horror movie franchise

Mr Khan said:
In number 3 a certain type of player preferred to play on this bare-bones stage, which shared a name with a fate-based horror movie franchise

Which one? Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl feature "Final Destination" as a playable stage, unless number 3 actually is the rank of the game AND the number of the game in the series this hint isn't clear enough^^

Around the Network
KHlover said:
Mr Khan said:

Which one? Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl feature "Final Destination" as a playable stage, unless number 3 actually is the rank of the game AND the number of the game in the series this hint isn't clear enough^^

True, had forgotten about that. Tis Melee. Should've said "the first game in which a certain type of player preferred to play"

4. Super Smash Bros. Melee (2001)

Up from 6th, no other multiplayer game has consumed as much of my time as Melee has.  While it lacks some of the features of its sequel, it simply has a better feel to the gameplay that made it far more addictive.  The characters were unbalanced at times but never so much that it really mattered except at the highest levels of play.  There were a number of features tailored to groups larger than the number of controllers available that allowed you to rotate people into the game without figuring out whose turn it is to sit out.  One of my favorite arts of Melee was that you almost never felt like the characters weren't doing what you had wanted them to.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

#4 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is the best 2D platform game ever made. Easily. The level design in this game is utter genious. It's graphics and music; superb. The music is perfectly attuned to the style of the game, arguably it is one of the best soundtracks, if not the best soundtrack ever made in a video game. I cannot give enough praise to this game. Like my #5 entry (Link's Awakening), I feel this game is heavily underrated. Yes, most people agree that this game, is a good game, but people should be agreeing that this game blows it's predecessor out of the water! If you'd ask me, it is no contest. Sadly, the popularity of this game never came close to Mario World. It is likely due to the childish graphics. They are however amazing, and pushes the SNES's capability to it's limits. It also includes very advanced graphical effects for it's time. Despite it's looks, the game is by no means a push-over. Most levels can be extremely challenging to say the least. Though I've been playing this game since shortly after it came out, it wasn't until the GBA port that I started to appreciate it's brilliance. This game had confirmed and solidified to me, all the moral things other games in my top 10 had taught me.

Finally, we have arrived at the top 3.

These games hold a crown unattainable by all other games. Kings amongst games. Before we count down the final three games, I'd like to mention 20 games that didn't make my top 50, but deserve to be mentioned as they are either great games or have meant something special to my gaming carreer (as in my list in the official thread, release date is PAL year):

Age of Empires (PC, 1997), Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery (US)) + exp. (PC, 2009), Blast Corps (N64, 1997), Diablo + exp. (PC, 1997), Empire: Total War (PC, 2009), The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (PS3, 2007), Jet Set Radio (Jet Grind Radio (US)) (DC, 2000), The Legend of Zelda (NES, 1987), Prince of Persia (MAC, 1990/1992), SimCity 2000 (MAC, 1994), SimTower (MAC, 1994), Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II (PC, 1997), Star Wars: Rebel Assault II - The Hidden Empire (MAC, 1995), Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (N64, 1997), Super Mario Kart (SNES, 1993), Tetris (GB, 1990), Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (MDRIVE (GEN), 1995), Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3, 2007), Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos + exp. (PC, 2003), #14: Gunfighter (G7000 (ODY2), 1977).

For those who don't know that last one, here it is. It is the first game I've ever played. On a console from my mother's youth, way older than me:

And then finally the hint for #3:

#3 - ?

You invite this guy to you with a certain piece of pastry, then some other guy ruins your nice dinner!

10. Kingdom Hearts

9. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

8. Paper Mario

7. Roller Coaster Tycoon

6. World of Warcraft

5. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

4. Warcraft 3

3. ?

2. ?

1. ?

Resident Evil 4

Before Resident Evil 4, the Resident Evil franchise had been one of the great video game series, and certainly the definitive survival horror series. With Resident Evil 4, it achieved new levels of greatness. Set in a rural village somewhere in Europe, RE4 follows Leon S. Kennedy (one of two heroes from Resident Evil 2) in his search for the missing daughter of the American president. Capcom removed the fixed camera angles that had haunted previous installments, and allowed the camera to follow Leon wherever he went. Thus RE4 became something of a survival-horror and third-person shooter hybrid, with some RPG elements thrown in for good measure. The game is thrilling, terrifying, and addictive, all at once. Action set pieces and cinematic cut-scenes are brilliant.