By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

Player2 said:
S.Peelman said:

So I'm a day behind. This means I'll post two hints and post them later tonight (well, tonight over here anyway). But first things first:

#10 - Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 and it's two expansions 'Wacky Worlds' and 'Time Twister', has given me hours upon hours of creative moments. I've built so many theme-parks with this game, it's uncountable. Some I finished, some I didn't. Some were simple, others I went all out with the decoration objects. That's the best thing about this game, you can build everything. Everything you have in your mind, you can build. Sure, it's a fairly old game, so you have to have a little imagination, but no game has ever come closer to realizing my own imagination as this game has. Gameplay is so unbelievably simple, anyone can pick this up and play. That's why I still play this game regularly to this day. While almost all other games have been reduced to memory, this game lives on. Reminding me that 'gameplay' really is the be-all and end-all.

#9 - ?

This old game looks way different, improved, than the first game in this series. It is also still a very well known game and often goes head to head with another game in the series (it's successor) in the discussion 'which is the best?'.

#8 - ?

In this 3D game, most objects, including the characters, are actually 2D cardboard cut-outs! But this system was supposed to be the first system to do full 3D graphics!

8 - PaRappa the Rapper.

Ah, I see it now.

But that was incorrect. I admit I may have made a mistake in the clue though . Though I don't remember the PS1 to be advertised as a true 3D gaming system while the N64 was. But, could be wrong though. Sorry about the bad clue .

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

Ah, I see it now.

But that was incorrect. I admit I may have made a mistake in the clue though . Though I don't remember the PS1 to be advertised as a true 3D gaming system while the N64 was. But, could be wrong though. Sorry about the bad clue .

It looks like I was too literal about the cardboard part

S.Peelman said:

#8 - ?

In this 3D game, most objects, including the characters, are actually 2D cardboard cut-outs! But this system was supposed to be the first system to do full 3D graphics!

Probably Wolfenstein 3D?

Edit: Either that or one of the Ultima games might have done it first... Ultima Underworld?

Scoobes said:
S.Peelman said:

#8 - ?

Probably Wolfenstein 3D?

Edit: Either that or one of the Ultima games might have done it first... Ultima Underworld?

I already posted it . And the fact that I was probably wrong in my clue. I know, should've fact checked some more. Anyway, the 3D graphics part was applicable to the system, not the game.

Wolfenstein 3D however is in one way not a bad guess for my #7 hint .

Mr Khan said:
Number 7 had a few unique elements. First, enemy damage could not kill you. Secondly, doing absolutely nothing at the very beginning of the first stage was the only way to discover one of the story-paths.

One of the Wario Land games... I don't know which one :D

Around the Network
Player2 said:
Mr Khan said:
Number 7 had a few unique elements. First, enemy damage could not kill you. Secondly, doing absolutely nothing at the very beginning of the first stage was the only way to discover one of the story-paths.

One of the Wario Land games... I don't know which one :D

Close enough. It's Wario Land II. The only way to get the second set of levels in Wario's Castle was to sleep in at the very beginning of the game, rather than waking Wario up to do the first level.

Although that was only available if you had beaten some other line before then.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

#07 - WipEout HD Fury (PS3)

As guessed by Player2 :)

I would hope I don't need to explain this one too much!  Centre-of-signature-worthy WipEout has always been one of my favourite videogame series of all time, and WipEout HD Fury is the culmination of 15 years of fantastic game design.

Oddly, unlike other games in my list, I can exactly put my finger on what makes HD Fury so special.  WipEout has always maintained a completely unique blend of racing which just works perfectly.  It's sort of like Gran Turismo - in that racing requires a precise racing line, perfect cornering and lots of skill.  It's sort of like Mario Kart in that there's weapons to blow other racers to shit with.  It's sort of like F-Zero in that it gives you an insanely fast sense of speed which is completely unrivaled by other racing games.

As I mentioned earlier, HD Fury is the full package.  Aside from the normal races, everything else you could possibly want is included in this package.  Including my personal favourite - zones mode - where you have to race for as long as possible without touching the walls while the speed of your ship slowly increases.   There's also eliminator, which gives you crazy Destruction Derby-style racers with weapons, and detonator - which is WipEout meets Tempest X.  Honestly, whatever your style of racing is, there's something here for everyone.

Throw in some absolutely beautiful visuals at 1080p 60fps, the largest selection of customisable ships yet, some absolutely sublime track design and an absolutely killer soundtrack and I'd say it's easy to see why HD Fury ranks so highly up my list :)

(Sorry about posting #07 kinda early, probably won't be on very much tomorrow).

Clue for my #06 - In my opinion, the face of gaming's finest hour, which I'm sure will be featuring on many other people's lists :P

Alright, I've got a lot of catching up to do, so I'll post up through the days I've missed 'til now, at least. 

35: Bioshock (Xbox 360)

34. Super Paper Mario (Wii)

33. Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA)

32. LEGO Racers (PC, might be an odd one to have on here, but I adored this game back in the day, and all the hidden boss cars were really sweet. Also, thanks to this game, my parents bought us a joystick for the PC, which, all things considered, was pretty sweet).

31. Radiant HIstoria (DS, Was drawn in by the art and CD at first, but came away just blown away. Still haven't unlocked the perfect ending in this, but hopefully I'll get a chance to once I've returned home next summer).

30. Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (DS, Say what you will, this is my favorite handheld Kingdom Hearts. Loved the fleshing out of Roxas, Axel, and Xion. Actually, thanks to this game, I came to like all three of them more than Sora, Riku, and Kairi. Hope they make a proper return some day.)

29. Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360, Such an awesome rpg! The dream sequences are what really did it for me though. Really, such brilliant writing, wish there'd been even more of them! Hope this someday gets a sequel of some sort...).

28. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC, If you didn't think the Chao Garden was one of the most amazing things ever, you aren't human).

27. 1080 Snowboarding (N64, one of the few sports games I ever played constantly growing up. I loved the environments of this game especially. I really need to get this on the virtual console...).

26. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (Xbox 360, Such a great game, too! Really wish it'd done better... Gonna post a picture so it actually gets a little notice in this wall of text :P).

25. Mario Kart 64 (N64, Seen plenty of people post this already, so need to say more, really).

24. Diddy Kong Racing (N64, along with Super Mario 64, my first game ever!).

23. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC)

22. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (DS, Cing, why'd you have to leave?!?!?!?!).

21. Kingdom Hearts II (PS2, Have to admit, I was really obsessed with this series for awhile, and Kingdom Hearts II was a fantastic sequel. Now about number three...).

I'll add the rest in a separate post, just in case. 

Hmm

Moving on...

20. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (GC, one of my first rpg's for the gamecube. Outside of Pokemon and Paper Mario, I hadn't really played many at the time of receiving this. As it is, I fell in love with it, tinny voice acting and all. It really did have a fantastic plot, and the setting was absolutely fantastic! The prequel was pretty good, too, but it just didn't live up to this one, in my opinion).

19. Guild Wars: Nightfall (PC)

18. Yoshi's Story (N64, looking back, it always makes me a little sad that this one didn't do a little better critically, but ah well. I still had a ton of fun playing it, so I suppose it doesn't really matter).

17. Super Mario Sunshine (GC, I know this game gets quite a bit of flak now, but I really did like it... Ah well, to each his own, eh?).

16. The Sims (PC)

15. Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble (GBC, Seriously, this game was great. I hadn't thought the GBC could ever be used in such a way at the time, and the word itself was incredibly addicting. I've never liked a Kirby game as much as this one).

14. Kingdom Hearts (PS2)

13. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC)

12. Animal Crossing (GC)

11. Super Smash Bros. (N64)

10. Pokemon: Yellow Version (GBC)

9. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

8. Donkey Kong 64 (N64)

Hmm