By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

milkyjoe said:

15. Mario Kart 64 (N64)

MK64 is something of a divisive game within the franchise. Many MK fans don't like, and many do. You can probably guess that I'm one of those that do, given it's placed at 15 in my list. In fact it's my favourite MK game, and is the one that I've spent the most time playing (it even gets played every now and then to this day, whereas I've long since given up on some other MK games).

Clue for 14. A spectacular high point in a world where such games are usually complete trash.

What is Goldeneye 007? For $500, Alex.

My 14 started on a console, grew famous on handhelds, and with this game, jumped ship to another manufacturer, who helped promote the game in the West.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

I can see the logic, but that was my number 21...

VGChartz

milkyjoe said:
Mr Khan said:

lol, whoops.

Wii Sports?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
S.Peelman said:
(..)
15 - ?
Sometime after release, the popularity of this game shot up to impossible heights and became a world-wide phenomenon when it's concept was introduced in another media.

Pokemon Red and Blue

Correct of course. I didn't expect otherwise! Blue is my entry .

Michael-5 said:
Mr Khan said:
S.Peelman said:

#16 - Super Mario Galaxy

15 - ?
Sometime after release, the popularity of this game shot up to impossible heights and became a world-wide phenomenon when it's concept was introduced in another media.

Pokemon Red and Blue

I agree, and the other media I will say is Pokemon Cards/Movies/Cartoon.

Agree, the cards in particular were almost an epidemic over here !

@ your hints:

40: Super Mario RPG?

39: gonna say something wierd; Famicom Grand Prix? Or F-Zero?

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
milkyjoe said:
Mr Khan said:

lol, whoops.

Wii Sports?

0 for 2. We've not hit the correct genre or console yet.

VGChartz

milkyjoe said:
Mr Khan said:
milkyjoe said:
Mr Khan said:

lol, whoops.

Wii Sports?

0 for 2. We've not hit the correct genre or console yet.

SimCity for SNES?

Mr Khan said:
15. Super Metroid, SNES/VC (1994/2007) Nintendo

The Last Metroid is in Captivity... With these haunting words was this tremendous game launched into the pinnacle of 2D Metroid-dom (though not the pinnacle of Metroid), a game that, despite being a retread of the original Metroid, created a perfect balance of mood, bosses and secrets. This game gives you so many reasons to love it, whether you're into art, gameplay, speedruns, precision, exploration, or just dicking around.

I don't consider Super Metroid to be a retread of Metroid. The only common locations I can think of are the ruins of the original game's fight with Mother Brain and the morph ball / first missile location on Brinstar but I think including them was a brillant way of showing Samus is returning to Zebes where she previously wrecked havock.

Signature goes here!

#15. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES, VC)

The best NES game ever. Impeccable platforming, incredible level design, a great difficulty curve, fun power ups, exciting and varied worlds all this combined make for an awesome game. The levels were short but there was plenty of them to go around and as you progressed through the worlds the higher difficulty made some short levels very long to get through.

It was the first time Mario got to fly which is why Raccoon Mario is one of my all-time favorite power up ( I also always wondered how they wound up choosing a raccoon's tail when they brainstormed for a way to make Mario fly).

Another great addition to the Mario universe was Bowser's extended family making end of world boss fight much more interesting than in the original.

Signature goes here!

#14 Hint: This series started on NES but wasn't as popular until they added one word at the end of the title and released the gem on PlayStation.

Signature goes here!