By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

shogia said:
Michael-5 said:

48. An under-appreciated SRPG which tells the story of a war from the perspective on honest fighters on both sides of the war.
Incorrect Guesses: Valkyria Chronicles

46. A precursor to CoD, one of the best online shooting franchises. This game was ported to consoles after a fair bit of time on PC.
Incorrect Guesses: Day of Deateat, Medal of Honor

43. Often regarded as one of the best games of all time, the main character is an iconic trademark which almost saw exclusivity on an opposing platform.
Incorrect Guesses: Final Fantasy VII

40. One of the first true 3D games on a Nintendo cartridge, also the last on this system.
Incorrect Guesses: Starfox

39. Of a team of 6, nobody makes it out alive. Prequel to #43.

38. This game almost wasn't localized outside of Japan because Nintendo thought no one would be interested. Good thing NoA changed their mind.
Incorrect Guesses: XenoBlade Chronicles

36. I specifically like the expansion, but this game was the last of the series before it was ruined by becoming a MMO.

35. Because of this game, Fire Emblem was localized outside of Japan

34. First platform game in the franchise after an 8 year gap. Made a story where the previous game concluded the series.

33. Most people see me debate why this game is inferior to one higher on my list. Many think I dislike this game.

32. This game also, almost didn't see localization, but when European branches of this publisher gave this game the green lights for localization, the Western branch followed suit.

35. Super Smash Bros. Melee

and I'm glutton for punishment so

32. Xenoblade Chronicles?

YES to both!

P.S. Hyped for FFXIII-III?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:

YES to both!

P.S. Hyped for FFXIII-III?

You bet, more messing with time!

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

#15 - Syphon Filter 2 (PS1)

As guessed by Player2!

The first Syphon Filter was a bit of a revelation for me at the time it released.  The blend of action gameplay with stealth, intriguing plotline and fantastic set pieces made it like an interactive action film as opposed to a videogame.  Fast forward a year and the sequel is already out (they sure could be churned out fast in those days) which basically improved on the original in every way.

I like Syphon Filter 2 to being like a series of 24.  There's a terrorist threat; some high odds; some diverse locations and tonnes of action.  Really, the game is just superb.   You'll be parachuting into the mountains, blowing up bridges, shooting out a nightclub, sniping people in Russian streets and - most impressively - chasing down terrorists on the roof of a train (which was where my hint to Uncharted 2 linked).  All this back on the PS1.  Throw in an awesome array of weapons (including the ever-trusty taser) and a splattering of story (introducing my favourite SF character - Teresa) and you've just got a masterpiece that - surprisingly - still holds up very well to this day (although as you can tell from the screenshot below, the graphics are pretty hard to get past these days.  Which makes it all the more impressive when you dip into the gameplay and it's as tight as ever!)

Clue for my #14 - Best selling PC game of all time. If that wasn't clue enough - numerical prequel to one of the games in my 'currently playing' list.

Kresnik said:
Clue for my #14 - Best selling PC game of all time. If that wasn't clue enough - numerical prequel to one of the games in my 'currently playing' list.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Kresnik said:

Get.  Out.

(I weep that The Sims has come to this)

Kresnik said:

If it's not Sims 3 Kate Perry Edition, then Sim 2?

I don't think it's the best selling PC game of all time, just the best selling hardcopy PC game. Who knows how many sales Half-Life is at with digital downloads and what counts as a sale for World of Warcraft? (Current subscribers don't tell us the total number of subscribers).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
Kresnik said:

If it's not Sims 3 Kate Perry Edition, then Sim 2?

I don't think it's the best selling PC game of all time, just the best selling hardcopy PC game. Who knows how many sales Half-Life is at with digital downloads and what counts as a sale for World of Warcraft? (Current subscribers don't tell us the total number of subscribers).

Yep, The Sims 2.

And that's all true.  But it's the only thing we have figures for.  So based on the information we have, it's the best selling PC game of all time.  Until we get digital sales numbers of World of Warcraft/ Half life / Team Fortress / anything else you want to list, it's all we have to go on.  Otherwise we could just speculate endlessly about "X game may have sold Y copies digitally, which would give it bigger numbers".

Metroid Prime

Of the big three Nintendo franchises, Metroid was the last to receive a three-dimensional treatment. Unlike Mario and Zelda however, which retained their tradition third-person perspective in the leap to three dimensions, Metroid adopted an entirely new first-person perspective in its remarkably smooth transition from 2D to 3D. The result: Metroid Prime, a game that featured the elements that made its predecessors so popular but which gave players new glimpses into the Metroid mythology. Crucial to success in Metroid Prime is its heads-up display -- which features information vital to Samus -- and a system of exchangeable visors though which she can pick up heat signatures, use x-rays, and scan objects and enemies, collecting useful information from both.

Clue for #14:

This game has beautiful European box art reminiscent of Salvador Dali, but it's North American box art is rather ugly.