By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

Michael-5 said:

Okay, I'm super far behind, but let's play catch up.

50. Maintaining Sanity is just as important as staying alive in this game, which almost never released. However who could blaime the protagonists after what they saw. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem?

46. A precursor to CoD, one of the best online shooting franchises. Day of Defeat?

45. Often Regarded the best game ever made. Ocarina of Time?

43. Often regarded as one of the best games of all time, the main character is an iconic trademark which almost saw exclusivity on an opposing platform. Final Fantasy VII?

42. You only have 3 days left. The World Ends With You?

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:

Okay, I'm super far behind, but let's play catch up.

49. One of the first games, by a newly merged company, this was a violent game which involved the slaying of hundreds by sword or dragon. Had multiple endings, all of which are viewable on a single playthrough, each of which getting more bizzare with an ending representing a different outcome. One of the main Villains was actually your best friend who gets corrupt with jealousy over your Dragon and links with his own. Drakengard?

41. This marks the first Major spinoff off a traditional iconic series. Final Fantasy Tactics?

#16 - Jak 3 (PS2)

Naughty Dog - whos Crash Bandicoot series had always played second fiddle to Insomniac's Spyro in my heart in the fifth generation - blew my mind with the original Jak and Daxter.  Such a beautiful, seamlessly connected world seemed like a revolution.  They blew my mind even further with the GTA-inspired Jak 2, but Jak 3 proved they still had some tricks up their sleeve for the final part of this trilogy.

Changing the whole motif of the game from the dark and murky Haven City (which isn't completely forgotten in this game) and shifting it up to the deserted wastelands on the edge of the world provided a huge new sandbox (literally!) for you to mess around in.  The same open-ended approach was taken with the game but this time you'd be bombing around the desert in buggies; exploring the nooks and crannies of a settlement for precusor orbs etc.  Add in a much more focused and improved story with a sweet payoff, some still-beautiful graphics and the great platforming that made the first two games in the series such a hit and it's easy to see why Jak 3 is a signature-worthy game!

Clue for my #15 - Often compared to Metal Gear solid at the time of release, this stealth-action sequel contained very similar setpieces to those that made Uncharted 2 famous (but 9 full years before!).

green_sky said:

Just updated a whole bunch of games and caught up

• 41) COD: Modern Warfare (PS3) - Really fun and intense single player. Multiplayer that rewrote the rules of the trade. 
  • 40) Need for Speed: Underground (XBOX) - Loved the customization and semi story based single player. 
  • 39) Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (GCN) - My first Metal Gear game and it rocked my socks off with its over the top cutscenes and gameplay. 
  • 38) The Walking Dead (PC) - Set the bar for story based games in the medium. Brought me to brink of tears many a times. 
  • 37) Wii Sports (Wii) - It puzzled me when i saw it but than i played it and had one of the most fun. Simple and puts a smile on ones face.
  • 36) New Super Mario Bros DS (NDS) - One of the favourite games of all time born again on DS with oh so pretty colours. 
  • 35) Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GCN) - The only metroid i've played and it was an amazing experience. The music, the visuals and puzzles were oh so fun. 
  • 34) Heavenly Sword (PS3) - Probably the first PS3 game i played and it took a while to beat the emotion captured on character's faces. 
  • 33) Alan Wake (PC) - Made my Remedy. The atmosphere is simply amazing. Not too scary but just right. The writing is so good. Enter the twilight zone. 
  • 32) Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 (XBOX) - Found this game really hard and really rewarding. Strategic first person shooter. Very grim and very good. 
  • 31) Yoshi's Island (SNES) - One of the best level designs in video games. Plus Yoshi Rocks. 
  • 30) Burnout Takedown (XBOX) - The speed and exitement of arcade driving games brought down to the very core. 
  • 29) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (NDS) - This game was so simple and funny. Really had a lot of fun. 
  • 28) Left4Dead (PC) - Valve's take on zombies. Really fun game to play with friends. 
  • 27) Aladdin (NES) - Loved this game as a kid. Played the hell out of it. Throwing apples at enemies like a mexican apple thief. So awesome. 
  • 26) GTA: San Andreas (PC) - Took me a while to finish this but a ride it was full of colourful cracters with their own agendas. Gameplay was great too. 
  • 25) Road Fighter (NES) - Spent so much of pocket money in arcades. Beats most modern games with speeds upto 400 kms or was it miles. :D
  • 24) Elite Beat Agents (NDS)- One of the most bizzare and fun games i've played on DS. Just cheers you up. 
  • 23) Resident Evil 4 (GCN) - This game creeped me but the shooting was so well done at the time that i had to rent it again and finish it. 
  • 22) Contra (NES) - Another one of those childhood gems. I hardly could beat the game with 3 lives but beat it multiple times with a bit of konami code help. 
  • 21) AC 2 (PS3) - The gameplay is simple but the fact that i could travel back to the cities of the past and experience them like a beautiful dream was great.
  • 20) Max Payne (PC) - The bullet time blew my mind. Matrix games should have learnt a bit or two. The dark humour is still great to this day.
  • 19) God of War (PS2) - This game is just insanely fun. Makes you feel like a complete bad ass and constantly adds new gameplay elements. 
  • 18) Journey (PS3) - One of the most beautiful games i've ever played. Bit over 2 hours in length but the emotions it induces are priceless. 

Some excellent choices!

Around the Network
Kresnik said:

Some excellent choices!

Thanks

Kresnik said:
Clue for my #15 - Often compared to Metal Gear solid at the time of release, this stealth-action sequel contained very similar setpieces to those that made Uncharted 2 famous (but 9 full years before!).

Syphon Filter 2.

Kresnik said:

Splinter Cell? I tried Chaos Theory but i had the patience of a sugared up kid and just ran like an idiot

Super Mario World

Bundled with the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in 1991, Super Mario World was proof of the advanced processing power of the newest Nintendo console system and an important check to the growing power and influence of Sega’s 16-bit project. Like its immediate predecessors on the NES, Super Mario World is a platform game that demands its players jump, run, duck, and swim to survive hazards and enemies in each level. It retains the overland map of Super Mario Bros. 3, but makes the game world and the levels within that world much larger, more graphically detailed, and more diverse: ghost houses, fortresses, and castles dot the landscape. Super Mario World marks the first appearance of Yoshi, who would become one of Nintendo’s most famous mascots.

Clue for #15:

According to Metacritic this game is the best title on its system, something angry fans would never have expected.