By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

#21 - Mario Kart: Double Dash! (GC)

As guessed by no-one (seriously, all these Nintendo fans in this thread and not one of you picked up on this!)  Anyhow, MKDD is the second best local multi-player game I've ever played and for that reason alone deserves such a high spot in my list.  Add in a mix of great and memorable tracks, really interesting double-kart mechanic and that traditional-but-still-great Mario Kart gameplay and you've got yourself a winner.  Definitely the best in the series.

Clue for my #20 - JRPG with a very 'western' (hint: not what you'd first think) design.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
S.Peelman said:
(..)

#21 - ?
This current (7th) gen franchise was arguably influenced by a very famous movie series and a gaming franchise which is about to be rebooted. I am talking about the game which gets off to a chilly start!

Uncharted 2

Correct. I thought this one would be an easy guess .

21. GoldenEye 007 (N64)

Once you see it, you can't unsee it... Only a few short years after the likes of Doom changed everything in shooters, along came GoldenEye to change it all again. Rather than just trying to get from Point A to Point B while shooting anything that moves as you go, mission objectives were added to the single player mode, and that greatly added to the experience. It was more famous for its local multiplayer mode though, and it's that game mode where I spent most of my time with the game. I would probably say that I heard some of the more creative combinations of curse words whilst playing the game with my friends, specifically when any team killing started, or when someone held on to the golden gun for an extended period of time.

20 is a rough diamond.

VGChartz

21. Kirby 64, N64 (2000) Nintendo/HAL Labs (20 last year)

Similar to Bomberman 64, despite the fact that this is a rather off-beat game in its franchise (what with the "combine copy abilities" and all) it endures in my memory longer. Like both Bomberman 64 and Goldeneye, the music of this game often comes to me at random intervals. My favorite ability was dynamite, because of the adorable little hardhat Kirby got with it

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Kresnik said:

#21 - Mario Kart: Double Dash! (GC)

As guessed by no-one (seriously, all these Nintendo fans in this thread and not one of you picked up on this!)  Anyhow, MKDD is the second best local multi-player game I've ever played and for that reason alone deserves such a high spot in my list.  Add in a mix of great and memorable tracks, really interesting double-kart mechanic and that traditional-but-still-great Mario Kart gameplay and you've got yourself a winner.  Definitely the best in the series.

Clue for my #20 - JRPG with a very 'western' (hint: not what you'd first think) design.

Wild Arms?

Edit: #20, A lot of FUD surrounding this game early on contended that it was just a DS Port, but it was definitely its own beast on a console.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

Wild Arms?

Edit: #20, A lot of FUD surrounding this game early on contended that it was just a DS Port, but it was definitely its own beast on a console.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Signature goes here!

Mr Khan said:

Wild Arms?

Wild Arms 3!  :) good job.

TruckOSaurus said:
Mr Khan said:

Wild Arms?

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

You're correct.

#21: Pokemon Black/White (2011)
Last Year: 20

If there's one thing the Pokemon franchise gets criticised for, it's that it hasn't deviated from it's tried and true formula enough. Get your starter Pokemon, defeat the 8 Gym Leaders along the way, encounter Zubats in caves, defeat some sinister Pokemon gang, and then defeat the Elite Four (and the Champion) to become the Champion yourself. Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire, and Diamond/Pearl abided by this formula... and there were some grumblings. And while Pokemon Black/White doesn't deviate too much from the tried and true way of doing things (and honestly, when a formula such as Pokemon's works so well, you don't really need to change that much!), it does a lot to make the game a fresh experience. You'll never encounter an older Pokemon while playing through B/W's initial adventure, and that does so much to make the world of Unova an entirely new and exciting world to explore. Game Freak also added extra emphasis to the story, and how this time, it directly impacts the adventure you're on (to the point where the entire ending sequence was quite a surprise!). Add to this the always wonderfully addictive Pokemon gameplay and plethora of content (you still have half the world to explore when you "finish" the main quest), Pokemon Black/White becomes one of the best in the series. I can't wait to see where they go next.

Alright guys... we're headed into our top 20 games. Here's the part where the list really shows what games have made us into the gamers we are today. ^_^

Clue for game #20: When he wins... he catches the PIGGIES!