By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

Veknoid_Outcast said:
TruckOSaurus said:
#23 Hint: Is Retro the new Rare?

The answer is yes :) Although I don't think anyone can ever recreate what Rare did from 1994 to 2001.

Donkey Kong Country Returns?

10 pts for you!

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Clue for 23: "It was too easy, Alec."

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Clue for #23:

The origin of cloud gaming?

Was wondering how long it was gonna be before this game would start sneaking into people's lists :P.

23 seems quite low actually.

(Just kidding!)

P.S. Thanks for introducing me to this gif, Smeags!

Kresnik said:

P.S. Thanks for introducing me to this gif, Smeags!

Y-your welcome.

#25: New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009)
Last Year: 21

While the New Super Mario Bros. games have never proven to be the freshest of gaming series, they have always provided something far more important: fun. While the graphics and (especially) the music have never truly excelled (Bah bah!), the level design and controls have always done so. New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the second of the NSMB series (now out of four, and continued by the wonderful NSMBU... who couldn't make it because of scheduling conflicts) also provided the first true Mario multiplayer experience, where up to four players could play the main game at a time (although while frantic fun, four players caused more chaos than a bunch of Sumo Bros. in a china shop). And with a final boss battle and even the credits providing that sense of greatness few games have accomplished, what's not to love? Some amazing and fun moments to be had with this one.

Around the Network

#24: Batman: Arkham City (2011)
Last Year: 30

Just like Batman: Arkham Asylum, Arkham City not only proved to be an amazing comic book game, but it was an amazing game in general. Not only that, Arkham City managed to outclass its predecessor in nearly every way (You punched a shark in the face!). While Asylym's level design was influenced by Metroid, City was influenced by The Legend of Zelda series (which is, once again... never, ever a bad thing!). The actual "city" served as the open Hyrule Field and was dotted by "dungeons" with clever puzzles to solve and great foes to defeat. Arkham City also provided one of the best main quest I've ever played, with the story hitting a fever pitch and never letting go. The climax is one of the best I've ever been a part of, and the ending. I'm still shocked over a year later. All in all, Arkham City is one of my favorite games of the generation and I can't wait to play it again once I get it for my Wii U this Christmas. ^_^

Hint for #23:

Whew, those Tea-Cups sure made me dizzy... okay sweetie! Turn around and say cheese!

Ugh, hold on. This blasted camera is giving me trouble!

Smeags said:

Hint for #23:

Whew, those Tea-Cups sure made me dizzy... okay sweetie! Turn around and say cheese!

Epic Mickey

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Smeags said:

Hint for #23:

Epic Mickey

Curses!

24. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (2003)

Down from 19th is my introduction to the Final Fantasy Tactics series.  This game really shined because of the variety of classes available to use, and I don't think I even managed to use half of them on a regular basis.  The ability to build your own world map makes it so every game can be a little bit different and moving around becomes somewhat interesting.  Similar to Fire Emblem, adding special characters to the cast provides extra incentive to try to complete as much of the missions as possible.  The law system forces you to use a little more than a basic set of allies for most of the game (until you get Cid later on) and can make what seemed like it would be an easy battle a bit harder.  There are plenty of missions to complete and items to obtain which mix together well to get somewhat of an open world feel to the game.  The variety in available moves provides a large number of viable strategies although high damage moves work a little too well at times.  Setting up your attacks so you don't hit your allies with a spell keeps the battles from becoming too clustered.  Overall the story keeps from getting too dull and offers a second ending for a more complete playthrough.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think.