By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo defence thread

Can the OP change the thread title from "Defence" to "Defense". The enemy will never take us seriously like this.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
RolStoppable said:
ps3-sales! said:
Once you got past super smash bros, mario games, and twighlight princess the wii had no core games.

You already got warned today, so this post of yours is baffling.

Let's not get reactionary, let's try to actually untie his logic.

He didn't mention Metroid Prime. No ties can save him from my wrath.

d21lewis said:
Can the OP change the thread title from "Defence" to "Defense". The enemy will never take us seriously like this.

lol I actually never even noticed that.  Perhaps because I have drank a few brews.  Defence = Defense right?  Just a US - England difference.  Just like color/colour, flavor/flavour (our - or), etc.  Have you ever heard a British person pronounce Aluminum?   Wait a sec... I don't think Defence is even a word in England...

DanneSandin said:

I just think that the definition of "core" games is silly. What matter is that a game is fun, right? At least, that's what SHOULD matter. What IS a core game?

I understand what you are saying, but I personally want games that go beyond just being fun. Games with great story, sound, art style, etc. When all of those things are combine in a single package then it becomes a "core" game imo. Games like Zelda, Metroid and the like give me those type of experiences. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

it doesn't matter what the defenders say. the trolls know things already they just like to complain, that's what trolls do complain for the sake of complaining. usually they cal themselves hardcore, you know the cool dudes

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
d21lewis said:

lol I actually never even noticed that.  Perhaps because I have drank a few brews.  Defence = Defense right?  Just a US - England difference.  Just like color/colour, flavor/flavour (our - or), etc.  Have you ever heard a British person pronounce Aluminum?   Wait a sec... I don't think Defence is even a word in England...

I really want to hear a British person pronounc "Aluminum", now.  If it's half as funny in real life as it is in my head, it's going to be awesome!

Record music with Vocaroo >>

d21lewis said:
sethnintendo said:
d21lewis said:

I really want to hear a British person pronounc "Aluminum", now.  If it's half as funny in real life as it is in my head, it's going to be awesome!

Record music with Vocaroo >>

Sounds more like this

BasilZero said:
DanneSandin said:
happydolphin said:
DanneSandin said:
ps3-sales! said:
Once you got past super smash bros, mario games, and twighlight princess the wii had no core games.

Who cares about "core" games? I wanna play fun games! Games I enjoy, games I can spend hours with... Wii did that very well! I've never laughed as mush while playing as I did this gen.

But he cares. That's what I'm trying to say guys, what are the goalposts? If he cares about core games, then he does.

If he's the only one, then that's something you can say. But if there's an audience like him, that should matter because then some people do care. And if they care and the criticism is false, then we should have a reason for that.

I just think that the definition of "core" games is silly. What matter is that a game is fun, right? At least, that's what SHOULD matter. What IS a core game?

There are no "Core" games unless you count the main big named titles/franchises like Super Mario, Final Fantasy, GTA, Resident Evil, Halo, etc. Its a just term coined in the internet to piss off the weak hearted fanboys in all circles and forms.

Also imo, the definition (or it should be) of a hardcore gamer is a gamer who plays video games without having a one sided preference of a brand/corporation/developer/etc. Most people confused hardcore with violence/blood, although most of the big franchises have those themes, not all of them are like that.

Yeah, the term of "core game" is ridiculous!!! And I totally agree with you regarding "hard core gamer"; if you are core you don't care about which console is the best; you play games for the sake of games!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

osed125 said:
DanneSandin said:

I understand what you are saying, but I personally want games that go beyond just being fun. Games with great story, sound, art style, etc. When all of those things are combine in a single package then it becomes a "core" game imo. Games like Zelda, Metroid and the like give me those type of experiences. 

What I meant is that I wanna have a fun experience while playing - and that doesn't mean "core" game. If a game has a great story it's all the more fun to play it. If it has great game play; more fun. It all contributes to the experience. That's what I mean with "fun game".

RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

You can make a clearcut definition for "core games", if you divide the market into "core" and "expanded audience".

"Core" will refer to any type of game that has been present and successful in the previous generation. In other words, the "core" is the bread and butter of the industry, the games that are known to sell, the market that can be analyzed because it already exists. For example, it's established that FPS sell, so new FPS IPs are automatically "core" games as well.

"Expanded audience" refers to any type of game that opens up a new market and, well, expands the video game population. In the following generation, "expanded audience" games will be absorbed by the "core", because they are now also known to sell. For example, Wii Fit was a new thing to the market in the seventh generation, but in the eighth generation fitness games shall be considered "core" as they are now a known market and it will remain "core" as long as they keep being made and keep selling.

There's actually a third category and that would be "core" games that stop being made for a generation or more, but then return. A good example of this would be New Super Mario Bros. Wii which can be considered an "expanded audience" game, but is now moving back into the "core" category for good with NSMBU.

However, most people use a "hardcore" and "casual" context which simply describes games they like and games they don't like.

Thanks for taking your time and explaining all this, but I think I'll stick with the term "fun game" :P But I much prefer YOUR explanation of "core" and "casual"/"expanded audience" because it makes sense within the context of gaming.