By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U has no ethernet port

runqvist said:

Editing your post was interesting...

I get 1ms almost all the time with pinging my router from the same room, 1-3ms from next room and 1-54(lol) from third room. That has been the case always, but when I play a game online, my ping is 20ms higher than on my wired connection. That is with my laptop on the same room and playing on the same server with ethernet connection.

It isn't just about online gaming, it is also about downloading games from internet and in few years maybe streaming 4k movies. How much bandwith would a decent quality 4k stream take?

Funny, I don't feel that my bandwith is going to waste but if you say so...

So the problem is the location of your router rather than Wi-Fi itself.   And how does your ping go from 1ms to X + 20ms (your ethernet connection plus 20ms) when gaming online?  how are you gettign an extra 20 ms in latency when gaming compared to a direct ping?  You've got some other kind of delay thing going on somehow.

And this entire debate is about online gaming.  Not downloading.  Downloading via Wi-Fi should have practically zero perceptible difference over a wired connection.    And we won't have 4k streams for a very long time.  If you think Wi-Fi tech will remain at current latency levels then you've ignored the advancements of the tech over the just the past 4-5 years.   Not to mention that any streaming will have buffering making latency a moot point anyway (unless it's just absolutely horrible which would not be the fault of the Wi-Fi tech itself).

For online gaming, it's a waste.  You'd have absolutely no difference in online gaming expirience with a 15 Mb connect.  Provided your latency is still the same which it should be given that latency is independent of bandwidth speed.  For downloading though...jealous by thy name.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

I just wonder -- given the avatars, sigs, comments, and profiles of posters -- how many people complaining here were going to buy WiiUs and how many are just trolling.

Personally, I hated having to roll out 25 feet of cable from my TV set to my Xbox when I tried XBox Live a few years back.

It probably was not included because most people were not going to use it and it could have an issue on production and design of the unit. There is a work around if you want it. Now relax.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

runqvist said:
Viper1 said:
runqvist said:
Wired > wifi. Wifi is too slow for my connection and the latency is at least 20ms higher than on wired connection. I would not play any online game on wifi.

If you are getting an extra 20ms of latency, you need to work on your Wi-Fi set up.

Try pinging your router.
Here's mine and I run 802.11 G.  
3ms

runqvist said:

21ms more latency and 150mbps less dl speed.

21 ms latency?  You have a problem with your set up.

And your download speed problem is irrelevant.   Not only do the overwhelming majroity of people have a download speed far, far slower than their Ethernet ports transfer speed but latency is by far the bigger factor in online gmaing.   You won't find an actual differnce in the online experience from an 8 Mb connect  with low latency and a 500 Mb with low latency.

runqvist said:

Because it is 2012 now. I have 350mbps connection now and pretty soon there is an option for faster connections here.

Absolute waste of bandwidth.  That's a fantastic download speed for just that, downloads.   For online gameplay, it's  50 times more than actually needed to sustain a solid connection.

I get 1ms almost all the time with pinging my router from the same room, 1-3ms from next room and 1-54(lol) from third room. That has been the case always, but when I play a game online, my ping is 20ms higher than on my wired connection. That is with my laptop on the same room and playing on the same server with ethernet connection.

It isn't just about online gaming, it is also about downloading games from internet and in few years maybe streaming 4k movies. How much bandwith would a decent quality 4k stream take?

Streaming 4k movies. ...

Two words -- data caps.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Connections and speed are so much more stable on my internet line when I use an ethernet cable, I only use Wifi for my personal laptop and would rather have my ps3 and gaming computer using and ethernet cable just for ease of mind.

Viper1 said:
runqvist said:

So the problem is the location of your router rather than Wi-Fi itself.   And how does your ping go from 1ms to X + 20ms (your ethernet connection plus 20ms) when gaming online?  how are you gettign an extra 20 ms in latency when gaming compared to a direct ping?  You've got some other kind of delay thing going on somehow.

And this entire debate is about online gaming.  Not downloading.  Downloading via Wi-Fi should have practically zero perceptible difference over a wired connection.    And we won't have 4k streams for a very long time.  If you think Wi-Fi tech will remain at current latency levels then you've ignored the advancements of the tech over the just the past 4-5 years.   Not to mention that any streaming will have buffering making latency a moot point anyway (unless it's just absolutely horrible which would not be the fault of the Wi-Fi tech itself).

For online gaming, it's a waste.  You'd have absolutely no difference in online gaming expirience with a 15 Mb connect.  Provided your latency is still the same which it should be given that latency is independent of bandwidth speed.  For downloading though...jealous by thy name.

If I would know why, I would fix it. It just is. Also the latency fluctuates more on wifi than with ethernet.

Where does it say it is only about online gaming? Why would I speak of download speeds if gaming was all that I cared for? It is a possibility that those 4k streams will be available before next gen is over. Does Wii U have upgradable wifi or why are you mumbling about future tech?

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
I just wonder -- given the avatars, sigs, comments, and profiles of posters -- how many people complaining here were going to buy WiiUs and how many are just trolling.

Personally, I hated having to roll out 25 feet of cable from my TV set to my Xbox when I tried XBox Live a few years back.

It probably was not included because most people were not going to use it and it could have an issue on production and design of the unit. There is a work around if you want it. Now relax.

Mike from Morgantown

I have preordered 5 Wii U:s, how many are you buying?

mike_intellivision said:
runqvist said:

Streaming 4k movies. ...

Two words -- data caps.

Mike from Morgantown

And what does those 2 words stand for?

runqvist said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

From what I remember you were selling them all online to make a profit.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

happydolphin said:
runqvist said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

From what I remember you were selling them all online to make a profit.

Well, the guy wondered if the people who complained were going to buy a Wii U. I guess I qualify.