By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Skyward Sword story inconsistencies (SPOILERS!)

(This thread is meant to contain spoilers, so don't blame me if you read this and come across a part of the story you haven't reached yet)

I know this thread is a little late, considering we're approaching the 1 year mark of Skyward Sword. I stopped playing after the first temple with a distaste in the game, but only recently I've came back to it, and it's really grown on me. My favourite part is the return of the physical incarnation of the Triforce, and being able to actually acquire it. Must just be my obsession of treasures shaped like golden triangles. However, this is what baffles me (and it's probably already been discussed before). I want to get this off my chest, but my friends are even further behind in the game than I am.

The Triforce has always signified the ultimate power in the Zelda series. Only in three games I can count have wishes been granted from the Triforce (as a whole). In The Adventure of Link, the united Triforce awakens Zelda from her eternal slumber and reigns in an era of peace for Hyrule (and by most timeline theories, signals the end of the Zelda timeline). Same with Link to the Past. Not only did Ganon get a wish which turned the Golden Land into The Dark World, Link's wishes at the end bring people back from the dead. The third game is Skyward Sword, in where a wish is granted before the end of the game

So Link collects the pieces of the Triforce, unites them and makes the wish to destroy Demise. All good so far...but, shouldn't this signify the end of the game? Link is in posession of the ultimate power, and he lets Zelda get captured and sent into the past where Demise still resides. Surely if the Temple of Time resides, it's not outside the power of the Triforce to go back into the past and wish for Demise to be destroyed there, as well.

On a side note, the game focuses around the creation of the Master Sword, yet the Triforce is referred to as the ultimate power from "the old gods". Wouldn't they be (considering this would be a game for the start of the Zelda timeline) classed as more "newer" gods earlier in the timeline than say Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past? 

Around the Network

Wind Waker also had a wish granted. You're right, the whole point is that the united Triforce has the power of the gods. Consistency for these kind of things in fantasy worlds is very important, and really the only solution is to have everyone on the staff play the whole series so far good and bad.

U make a good point! But link did not foresee that girahim will use the temple to travel back in time to awaken demise.
Btw wind waker uses the triforce. The king of hyrule used it to flood hyrule

Bet with ninjablade:

Ninjablade wins if the next 5 multiplat on the wii u are inferior to the 360 version.

I win if one of the 5 mulitplats are on par or superior on the Wii U.

Soleron said:
Wind Waker also had a wish granted. You're right, the whole point is that the united Triforce has the power of the gods.

You're right. I forgot that whole scene with the king at the end. 

gronk-bonk said:
U make a good point! But link did not foresee that girahim will use the temple to travel back in time to awaken demise.
Btw wind waker uses the triforce. The king of hyrule used it to flood hyrule

Now the ultimate power sits waaaay up on the Godess statue, and link was careless and jumped down. Now he can't reach it! Foiled!

Around the Network

The Zelda timeline is not even an actual timeline to begin with. It's really a Zelda multiverse in which Nintendo's writers can get away with anything and everything.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

You forget The WindWaker, where the King's wish drowns the land of Hyrule forever.

The Triforce's wishing power seems to operate under a rule-set similar to the Dragonballs, dispersing after the wish so that they can't just be endlessly abused, otherwise the climax of WindWaker would have gone

Daphneus Hyrule: Drown Hyrule
Ganondorf: Don't drown Hyrule
Daphneus: Do it!
Ganondorf: No!
Daphneus: Yah huh!
Ganondorf: Nuh-huh!

et al.

Link wished to destroy Demise in the present.

The inconsistency in Skyward Sword seems to be in how they treat Time Travel. The revelation that Zelda had to go back in time to take the place of the Goddess to seal away Demise (and eventually be awakened by Link in the present again) implies a stable time-loop theory of time-travel, whereby traveling through time was required to create the status quo, similar to the story of the first Terminator film.
However, the finale of the game has Ghirahim go back in time with Zelda to revive Demise early on, and Link go back in time to kill Demise, which he did, in the past. That dicks with the whole thing, because if Demise was revived but then killed, he's never around to set the events of the game in motion in the first place, and there we have time paradox. Unless Link's victory created another split timeline, but that's a whole separate kettle of fish

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
You forget The WindWaker, where the King's wish drowns the land of Hyrule forever.

The Triforce's wishing power seems to operate under a rule-set similar to the Dragonballs, dispersing after the wish so that they can't just be endlessly abused, otherwise the climax of WindWaker would have gone

et al.

The inconsistency in Skyward Sword seems to be in how they treat Time Travel. The revelation that Zelda had to go back in time to take the place of the Goddess to seal away Demise (and eventually be awakened by Link in the present again) implies a stable time-loop theory of time-travel, whereby traveling through time was required to create the status quo, similar to the story of the first Terminator film.
However, the finale of the game has Ghirahim go back in time with Zelda to revive Demise early on, and Link go back in time to kill Demise, which he did, in the past. That dicks with the whole thing, because if Demise was revived but then killed, he's never around to set the events of the game in motion in the first place, and there we have time paradox. Unless Link's victory created another split timeline, but that's a whole separate kettle of fish

Official: Skyward Sword is ripe for multiple, aestetically different sequels.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:
The Zelda timeline is not even an actual timeline to begin with. It's really a Zelda multiverse in which Nintendo's writers can get away with anything and everything.

It's semi-timeline based. There ARE some connections (Zelda 2 is definitely based on the aftermath of Zelda 1, and all of the Cel shaded, toon based Zeldas seem to be related), but you're right. Plenty of inconsistencies, which is why lots tend to justify it based on splitting the timeline in Ocarina of Time.

Mr Khan said:

et al.

Yeah I thought about the whole Dragonballs similarity. there are some places where a lot of wishes are granted at once, like Link to the Past. I guess it could either be taken as one big wish of how Link wished to see Hyrule, or perhaps the wishes were granted over a period of time.

And by the way, the King sounds even more evil than Ganondorf in that scene. Surely he could have just purged Hyrule of evil and let the water subside...