By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Quarter 3, 2012 Sales Update (VGC Exclusive Special)

Nice thread; interesting to see just how well the 3DS is doing in Japan...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Great tread.

I'm happy to see the Action/Adventure is bigger on PS3 then shooters.

Wow nice thread. I like how you broke down each systems genres. I wonder how long Nintendo will keep the DSi around. They should try and seek out neglected markets with a cheap alternative to the current hand helds. Perhaps market the Wii and DSi both more heavily in neglected markets. With that being said I am not too sure if the DS can pass the PS2. Also, on the rocks about the Wii passing the PS1.

That is a lot of work! Good stuff, great reference, should be stickied?

Tease.

Most interesting. I skimmed a bit of it so maybe it's there somewhere. Do you have the quarterly and ltd shipment data for all the current gen hw? A pity we don't get reliable shipment data for games, and of course no digital sales either. I get the feeling next gen game sales are going to become almost meaningless as more and more people choose digital sales. It'll become like pc sales now.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Most interesting. I skimmed a bit of it so maybe it's there somewhere. Do you have the quarterly and ltd shipment data for all the current gen hw? A pity we don't get reliable shipment data for games, and of course no digital sales either. I get the feeling next gen game sales are going to become almost meaningless as more and more people choose digital sales. It'll become like pc sales now.

The other side is F2P games which screw up the analysis. How do you measure sales of something given away for free? Downloads? Averaged users?

Tease.

binary solo said:

I could probably find shipment data, it's not too hard, but I only made my own system calculations for PS2 since VGC stopped.

and yes, no digital sales, but this is the limit of VGC and myself. In 10 years, maybe even 5 I'm sure this type of analysis will be useless.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

sethnintendo said:
Wow nice thread. I like how you broke down each systems genres. I wonder how long Nintendo will keep the DSi around. They should try and seek out neglected markets with a cheap alternative to the current hand helds. Perhaps market the Wii and DSi both more heavily in neglected markets. With that being said I am not too sure if the DS can pass the PS2. Also, on the rocks about the Wii passing the PS1.

I agree, I mean PS2 is basically dead in Japan (software is 100 units or so a week), and only selling 1,000 units or so a week in Japan (which is double the DS, and 10x the software, so it's probably people replacing broken systems and stuff), and it's dead in Europe and North America. It's South America and Africa where PS2 is still selling well, and it's mainly because of the high taxes on video games in countries like Brazil. Nintendo should market the DS more in Brazil, the profit margin will be small, but it could be enough to put DS on top.

Also Wii should top PS1, Wii sales will pick up in the holidays, I'm fairly certain it will break 99 million by years end. 5 million more isn't too much to expect in whatever lifetime it has left, especially when it's likely to sell 5-6 million total this year. The Just Dance 4 Wii Bundle should help.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

O.O so much data

ethomaz said:
Great tread.

I'm happy to see the Action/Adventure is bigger on PS3 then shooters.

It's interesting to see that the Shooter to Action/Adventure ratio is nearly flipped on PS3 vs. 360 for games selling above 3 million. PS3 does have a bit more diversity though as RPG's are 3rd on 360, where PS3 has a split between RPG's, Sports Games, and Racing Games.

It's also interesting to see PS3 having more racing games despite there being only 1 Gran Turismo game, and what 3 main Forza's.