By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Q2 FY2012 Earnings Announcement * $198m loss, 3.5m PS3 + PS2, 1.6m PSV + PSP *

Tagged games:

pezus said:
VXIII said:
kowenicki said:
Phones? Tiny market share.

Financial numbers? not terrible, not great.

Gaming? So so

Expect some negative reaction to Japanese tech stock when the markets open. Sharp have pretty much just admitted they are close to death.

Not true. They shipped 8.8m smartphones this quarter, that puts them third behind only Samsung and Apple. That is absolutely impressive imo, they are ahead of Nokia, RIM, HTC and ZTE.

Q2 results:

Samsung: 56.3m

Apple: 26.9m

Sony: 8.8M

RIM (Blackberry): 7.7m

Nokia: 6.3

Sony Mobile are doing a great job with their smartphones since the acquisition of Ericsson, check their latest Xperia line, you'd be surprised. They have yet to make their smartphone business profitable though, there is a great potential here no doubt.

Wow, I wasn't aware they were ahead of Nokia :O. Samsung dominate this as everything else though

GO SONY!!!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Chark said:
RolStoppable said:

I guess the breakdown for this quarter is 0.5m PSVs and 1.1m PSPs which brings the PSV LTD shipments to 2.7m.

I think VGC has it pinned at 5.5 million. July through September correct?

5.5 million?

The reported quarter is July through September, but I have no idea how your number fits into this.

oops, sorry .55 million or 550k

This is what VGC has for Vita. Didn't mean to confuse.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

pezus said:
VXIII said:
kowenicki said:
Phones? Tiny market share.

Financial numbers? not terrible, not great.

Gaming? So so

Expect some negative reaction to Japanese tech stock when the markets open. Sharp have pretty much just admitted they are close to death.

Not true. They shipped 8.8m smartphones this quarter, that puts them third behind only Samsung and Apple. That is absolutely impressive imo, they are ahead of Nokia, RIM, HTC and ZTE.

Q2 results:

Samsung: 56.3m

Apple: 26.9m

Sony: 8.8M

RIM (Blackberry): 7.7m

Nokia: 6.3

Sony Mobile are doing a great job with their smartphones since the acquisition of Ericsson, check their latest Xperia line, you'd be surprised. They have yet to make their smartphone business profitable though, there is a great potential here no doubt.

Wow, I wasn't aware they were ahead of Nokia :O. Samsung dominate this as everything else though

Keep in mind we are talking about smartphones only, Nokia sells tons of non-smart phones every quarter.

What are the companies that carry plans for Sony's smartphone?

Xxain said:
Heavenly_King said:
BluGamer23 said:
the end is nigh ... I wonder what this means for sony and its ps4... surely its going to be 10x more powerful than the wiiU right?.. right?..

I expect the leap from PS3 -> PS4 to be the same as PS2 -> PS3.  I would say PS4 will be 10x more powerful than the PS3, and about 5-6x more powerful than the WiiU spec wise.

Xxpectations are born from something. Where do yours come from? The nice tech advance that allowed the large tech jump from PS2 - PS3, is that even possible currently? Not just technology but financially? SONY could handle PS3 as they dominating back then. Now they are far from it. 10x more powerful sounds more like a pipe dream that a realistic xxpectation. More like 3x more powerful which would be fine.

This. and its not like its going to be a bad thing that its only 3x as powerful. I don't think huge power upgrades are worth it anymore.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:

At&t and Vodafone in the U.S

Not sure about UK.

VXIII said:

Not sure about UK.

Never heard of Vodafone... and blah at AT&T

kowenicki said:

Only smartphones exist?

the non smartphone market is huge. 

Sony have about 3% mobile phone market share. Samsung have 26%, Nokia 23%.

I made that clear a few posts later. Yes, the non smartphone market is still huge.

VXIII said:

Not sure about UK.

Never heard of Vodafone... and blah at AT&T

Well yeah, Vodafone is in UK , my bad xD

Vodafone is pretty much Verizon Wireless (owns half) here in the US, but most Sony phones go on GSM networks, so ATT and Tmobile here in the US