By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Q2 FY2012 Earnings Announcement * $198m loss, 3.5m PS3 + PS2, 1.6m PSV + PSP *

Tagged games:

Turkish said:
Looks like Kaz at charge is really helping the company.

but at lost of 10,000 employee jobs

Around the Network
Naum said:
Heavenly_King said:
BluGamer23 said:
the end is nigh ... I wonder what this means for sony and its ps4... surely its going to be 10x more powerful than the wiiU right?.. right?..

I expect the leap from PS3 -> PS4 to be the same as PS2 -> PS3.  I would say PS4 will be 10x more powerful than the PS3, and about 5-6x more powerful than the WiiU spec wise.

The chances of that is slim to none I think.  that would probably mean a 600$ console yet again at launch.

i think sony's next console launches at $400

ZaneWane said:
Turkish said:
Looks like Kaz at charge is really helping the company.

but at lost of 10,000 employee jobs

It sucks, but it needed to be done. 

sales2099 said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
looks like it wont be too much longer until ps3 officialy passes 360 in shipments.

Well Nov-dec MS usually widens the gap so could take longer then you think.

I never saw this huge 360 vantage in Cristimans like everybody spits here... the biggest gap was last year and 2008... if I add Oct to sales the gap approaches zero.

In fact every full year PS3 shortens the gap.

* sold = Nov/Dec, shipped = Oct/Nov/Dec

2011 :: 360 == 6.65m (sold) / 8.2m (shipped)
2011 :: PS3 == 5.39m (sold) / 6.5m (shipped)

2010 :: 360 == 6.10m (sold) / 6.3m (shipped)
2010 :: PS3 == 5.40m (sold) / 6.3m (shipped)

2009 :: 360 == 4.31m (sold) / 5.2m (shipped)
2009 :: PS3 == 5.89m (sold) / 6.5m (shipped)

2008 :: 360 == 5.04m (sold) / 6.0m (shipped)
2008 :: PS3 == 3.40m (sold) / 4.5m (shipped)

2007 :: 360 == 3.37m (sold) / 4.3m (shipped)
2007 :: PS3 == 3.88m (sold) / 4.9m (shipped)

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
shanbcn said:
sales2099 said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
looks like it wont be too much longer until ps3 officialy passes 360 in shipments.

Well Nov-dec MS usually widens the gap so could take longer then you think.

No MS doesnt widen the gap usually, it did just last year and it turned out to be overshipping. I dont think retailers will again buy that many 360 especially without price cut. Because of that MS had to ship less and less in each quarter since that. Now tha gap is between 700k and 1 million, i expect this gap to stay the same in last quarter. But PS3 should overtake 360 next year.

360's holiday increase is greatly exaggerated here. its a myth. like you said yourself, it was only last year. in 2009 sony shipped more and in  2010 they shipped the same amount even with the new 360S and launch of kinect. so 360 ships more than ps3 for one holiday somehow means it will outsell ps3 every holiday!

Its exaggerated because VGC overtracked the 360 in 2010 and 2009. Thats why people say MS usually widens the gap... because initially that is what it looks like. But after we get shipment reports a couple months later it shows that wasn't the case and VGC adjusts the sales down.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Phones? Tiny market share.

Financial numbers? not terrible, not great.

Gaming? So so

Expect some negative reaction to Japanese tech stock when the markets open. Sharp have pretty much just admitted they are close to death.

Not true. They shipped 8.8m smartphones this quarter, that puts them third behind only Samsung and Apple. That is absolutely impressive imo, they are ahead of Nokia, RIM, HTC and ZTE.

Q2 results:

Samsung: 56.3m

Apple: 26.9m

Sony: 8.8M

RIM (Blackberry): 7.7m

Nokia: 6.3

Sony Mobile are doing a great job with their smartphones since the acquisition of Ericsson, check their latest Xperia line, you'd be surprised. They have yet to make their smartphone business profitable though, there is a great potential here no doubt.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
Naum said:
Heavenly_King said:
BluGamer23 said:
the end is nigh ... I wonder what this means for sony and its ps4... surely its going to be 10x more powerful than the wiiU right?.. right?..

I expect the leap from PS3 -> PS4 to be the same as PS2 -> PS3.  I would say PS4 will be 10x more powerful than the PS3, and about 5-6x more powerful than the WiiU spec wise.

The chances of that is slim to none I think.  that would probably mean a 600$ console yet again at launch.

i think sony's next console launches at $400

I think the same too.   The wiiU costs 350 bucks because of that damn controller.

Naum said:
Heavenly_King said:
BluGamer23 said:

The WiiU costs 350 because of that controller.

Heavenly_King said:
BluGamer23 said:

Xxpectations are born from something. Where do yours come from? The nice tech advance that allowed the large tech jump from PS2 - PS3, is that even possible currently? Not just technology but financially? SONY could handle PS3 as they dominating back then. Now they are far from it. 10x more powerful sounds more like a pipe dream than a realistic xxpectation. More like 3x more powerful which would be fine.

Hmmm not as bad as I was expecting. SCE in the black is something positive anyways.