By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - You Don't Necessarily Owe God Anything

DaRev said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
DaRev said:

Yeah, more religious discussions!

I never really understood how the mistakes made by two human beings supposedly could mess with the fate of all future humans. I mean, what if only one of them would have decided to eat fruit from the tree? Let's say that Adam never accepted Eve's fruit, would that mean only all future women were banned from the Garden of Eden? It just doesn't make any sense.

Bottom line being that it would make more sense to let us all begin our lives in the Garden of Eden and choose whether we wanted to eat from the apple or not. No one should be punished for action committed by somebody else.

The mistakes of Adam and Eve, I believe, are a representation of all of us. Meaning that if either of us were the first humans on earth, we also would disobey God EVENTUALLY.  So you and I or anyone else are no different than Adam or Eve. If you were put into the garden, you also would sin EVENTUALLY and we all would be in the same mess – or do you think you’re PERFECT and would NEVER break ANY of God’s rules?

Also, Christian philosophy I think teaches that the contract was with Adam, not Eve, so it was Adam’s sin, not necessarily Eve’s, that cause the whole world into Sin. But that is another whole barrel of fish that we don’t want to get into here, some real deep stuff.

But then a new problem arises: Why put anyone in the Garden of Eden if God knew that all humans would end up being kicked out anyway? Why punish humans for being human? If all humans are sinners by nature, I would find it rather cruel to punish us simply for being human. I mean, what if I would breed birds, give them free will and then punished them more intensively the more they chose to fly even after I have told them not to? Wouldn't that be rather cruel?

Around the Network
pokoko said:
DaRev said:

I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense at all to me.  God supposedly made man, designed him to fail, then punished all of mankind for that initial failure?  Then said, hey, I FORGIVE you (for doing exactly what I intended you to do) and love you anyway?  Logic says that god is the one at fault.  If you build a skyscraper, KNOWING that it will crumble and fall, you don't get to blame the skyscraper when it does exactly that.  If all of what you say is true, then god screwed us.

If god is all-knowing, then this world is EXACTLY AND TOTALLY of god's making.

Now, if all of that was a set-up, and the goal was to create a race that would go its own way, then I'm cool with that, but if that's the case, then we owe god nothing.  We don't owe it our love, our worship, or our obediance.  God is like the biological father that we've never met and don't really consider our father.  If, on the other hand, god is still active in our lives, as a lot of people believe, and he's out there doing his "mysterious ways" deal, giving people cancer and multiple sclerosis, and enacting "god's plan", which apparantly involves genocide, famine, and war, then god is a pretentious jerkface that I wish would just go away.  

I don't think very highly of god as a person, to be honest.

This kind of thing always reminds me of one of my favorite songs, "Tomorrow, Wendy".  It's about a girl with AIDS who decides to take matters into her own hands.

"I told the priest
Don't count on any second coming
God got his *** kicked the first time
He came down here slumming.
He had the balls to come
The gall to die and then forgive us
No I don't wonder why I wonder what
He thought it would get us
Yeah, goodbye tomorrow Wendy is going to die.

Only God says jump
But I set the time
'cause if he ever saw it
It was through these eyes of mine
And if he ever suffered
It was me who did his crying
Yeah goodbye
Tomorrow Wendy is going to die."

Firstly, God designed MAN perfectly and without any flaws (and certainly not designed to fail), but with the freedom of CHOICE to love or not to love him, God who created man. If you’re saying that MAN’s freedom of choice to love is a flaw then, you don’t understand LOVE. I assume then the you would prefer that God created you without the FLAW of freedom of choice to love him or not?

Secondly, God doesn’t give people anything bad, like diseases. Bad things are a result of a world we live in because MAN decide to sin. The same way God does not get people fired from their job, or cause a plane crash – that is just the world we live in. God, however, is saying to us, look, if I leave you up to your own devices you will have a world of pain and misery aka SIN, but if you tell me that you want my help, then I will help you and give you a new life and a new world where there is no SIN.  

As for “Tomorrow, Wendy”, again that is the world we live in (and God did not give Wendy Aids). God however promises Wendy and every other person, that he will fix our bodies and our world by giving us new ones, but we first need to make the CHOICE to believe that he can and will do that. People, like Wendy always see themselves as victims (which migh be true) but they only see life from that perspective. God tries to get us as took at life from the perspective of us being his children as must as Jesus was. So not because you're child sins, or has aids or some other life problem means that God doesn't love them. Not everyone that has aids, for example, or a tough life wants to kill themselves or see themselves as a victim.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

Jay520 said:

Arguments consist of validating & invalidating premises, so my point is relevant. If there are people that do not believe life is the most wonderful thing, then that's proof that life is not objectively the most wonderful thing. Because people have different ideas of what's the most wonderful thing, life is subjectively (not objectively) the most wonderful thing, making your premise flawed, thus making your conclusion flawed as well.

I don't think that's a good analogy. Your basis for appreciating school is the fact that they could have a worse alternative - living in a third world country. They aren't in a third world country and they should be appreciative of that. That makes sense, however, this doesn't apply to life. Your basis for appreciating life is the fact that they could have a worse alternative- death. This does not make sense because the people that don't appreciate life WANT death. So why should they be appreciative of lacking something that they desire?

No, arguments don't. Well, not normally, anyway. I base my reasoning upon my premises and then you try to invalidate the reasoning, not the premise itself. Because, you see, life being a wonderful thing is obviously a subjective idea so we're obviously going to end up with different conclusions depending on whether you believe life to be wonderful or not. I'm arguing that, under the assumption that life is objectively wonderful, you should appreciate it. If you disagree with my first assumption, then there's really no need for any discussion.

I'm surprised you're not getting my analogy. If we go by your logic, then the schoolkids who don't like school and prefer the alternative - not going to school - needn't appreciate what they're getting. It's not that they should be appreciative of not being in a third world country, (honestly, I shouldn't have mentioned that since it seems to be distracting from my actual point) it's that they should be appreciative of getting the opportunity to go to school. Sure, they WANT to not go to school just like some people WANT death, but society as a whole knows that it is much better for them to go to school and that they should be appreciative that they get this opportunity.

Actually, my analogy seems to be working in another way that I didn't notice; while schoolkids think that school is horrible and don't want to go to it, they only think this because they don't realize how horrible their lives will be if they don't go to school. They simply don't understand the extent of the horror of the alternative. In a similar way, people who want to die are simply ignorant of how much better living is than dying, which is why they make this "wrong" decision of wanting to die.

Oh, and it looks like we're getting awfully close to the whole euthanasia/suicide topic. I wonder if that was intended.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Superstition is silly.

Interesting theory, but i'm atheist so i don't believe in god, which means I owe him nothing! I have what I have because of my family or my actions, a so called god didn't gave me any fortune or misfortune, it's up to me.

Any problems in this world are created by the selfish act of other people, not a god's incompetence

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
DaRev said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
DaRev said:

I never really understood how the mistakes made by two human beings supposedly could mess with the fate of all future humans. I mean, what if only one of them would have decided to eat fruit from the tree? Let's say that Adam never accepted Eve's fruit, would that mean only all future women were banned from the Garden of Eden? It just doesn't make any sense.

Bottom line being that it would make more sense to let us all begin our lives in the Garden of Eden and choose whether we wanted to eat from the apple or not. No one should be punished for action committed by somebody else.

The mistakes of Adam and Eve, I believe, are a representation of all of us. Meaning that if either of us were the first humans on earth, we also would disobey God EVENTUALLY.  So you and I or anyone else are no different than Adam or Eve. If you were put into the garden, you also would sin EVENTUALLY and we all would be in the same mess – or do you think you’re PERFECT and would NEVER break ANY of God’s rules?

Also, Christian philosophy I think teaches that the contract was with Adam, not Eve, so it was Adam’s sin, not necessarily Eve’s, that cause the whole world into Sin. But that is another whole barrel of fish that we don’t want to get into here, some real deep stuff.

But then a new problem arises: Why put anyone in the Garden of Eden if God knew that all humans would end up being kicked out anyway? Why punish humans for being human? If all humans are sinners by nature, I would find it rather cruel to punish us simply for being human. I mean, what if I would breed birds, give them free will and then punished them more intensively the more they chose to fly even after I have told them not to? Wouldn't that be rather cruel?

Good questions, and I’m afraid that my answering them might TRIVIALIZE just how significant the correct answers to such questions are. Ultimately, my answer to you would be that you seek the answers though a study of the bible.

In any event I would say that that God punished man because he said that he would. So yes we are human, but we did know God’s rule and we chose to break it knowing the consequences. But again, we shouldn’t look at life as if we’re victims, but we should look at life as if we are Children and God is our father. Because as children even thought we did sin, God still loved and provided for Adam and Eve (Genesis 3:21-24).

Yes all humans are sinners by nature, but God still love us and provides a way through his son Jesus that we also would be Children by nature and not sinners (Romans 6). Again, it’s a matter of perspective. People see themselves as sinners so they act and behave that way. However, if you see yourself as a child that is loved by God then you would act differently. For example, in the bible there is much more evidence of God loving/helping man than there are instances of him punishing man – but we tend to only focus on the bad stuff.

the2real4mafol said:
Interesting theory, but i'm atheist so i don't believe in god, which means I owe him nothing! I have what I have because of my family or my actions, a so called god didn't gave me any fortune or misfortune, it's up to me.

Any problems in this world are created by the selfish act of other people, not a god's incompetence

Yours is an interesting theory as well. For if you believe that all you or anyone has is a result of some human action - then where did you and all other humans themselves come from being ale to create those actions to obtain stuff? Also, what about things like air and the sun which humans certainly did not create, where did they come from, logically?

DaRev said:
the2real4mafol said:

Yours is an interesting theory as well. For if you believe that all you or anyone has is a result of some human action - then where did you and all other humans themselves come from being able to create those actions to obtain stuff? Also, what about things like air and the sun which humans certainly did not create, where did they come from, logically?

You are right, we didn't create the sun or air or water, but neither did a god, we don't know where they came from, but we are lucky to have them. But I say we get stuff because of our own actions because we control what we do but also our lives are this way because of what people did in the past, people are willing to do things to get wealthier and advance the human race, which is nothing to do with a god. For example, medicine is much better than it ever was before, because people made it better and so more people live. 

But i see you like Nintendo, so i'll try to link to that. Say, if Miyamoto or anyone else didn't choose to expand Nintendo into gaming in the 1980's, great games like Mario or Zelda wouldn't of existed. That's my point

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

the2real4mafol said:

Yours is an interesting theory as well. For if you believe that all you or anyone has is a result of some human action - then where did you and all other humans themselves come from being ale to create those actions to obtain stuff? Also, what about things like air and the sun which humans certainly did not create, where did they come from, logically?

Immortal said:

No, arguments don't. Well, not normally, anyway. I base my reasoning upon my premises and then you try to invalidate the reasoning, not the premise itself. Because, you see, life being a wonderful thing is obviously a subjective idea so we're obviously going to end up with different conclusions depending on whether you believe life to be wonderful or not. I'm arguing that, under the assumption that life is objectively wonderful, you should appreciate it. If you disagree with my first assumption, then there's really no need for any discussion.

I'm surprised you're not getting my analogy. If we go by your logic, then the schoolkids who don't like school and prefer the alternative - not going to school - needn't appreciate what they're getting. It's not that they should be appreciative of not being in a third world country, (honestly, I shouldn't have mentioned that since it seems to be distracting from my actual point) it's that they should be appreciative of getting the opportunity to go to school. Sure, they WANT to not go to school just like some people WANT death, but society as a whole knows that it is much better for them to go to school and that they should be appreciative that they get this opportunity.

Actually, my analogy seems to be working in another way that I didn't notice; while schoolkids think that school is horrible and don't want to go to it, they only think this because they don't realize how horrible their lives will be if they don't go to school. They simply don't understand the extent of the horror of the alternative. In a similar way, people who want to die are simply ignorant of how much better living is than dying, which is why they make this "wrong" decision of wanting to die.

Oh, and it looks like we're getting awfully close to the whole euthanasia/suicide topic. I wonder if that was intended.

I don't think you know what arguments entirely consist of. But I see you're making a point based on assumptions that I and many others do not follow, so you're correct: Any further discussion is pointless.