By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's next handheld console.

Anymore dominance and there won't be no psp (any handheld), I think with ds they have a winner, just need to enhance its abilities. It has mic, touch screen, two displays. They don't need to take over the market, they have the market and just let psp be.

Just need to enhance those abilities, what else can you ask for in a handheld? Do you really need to see movies, take pictures, etc..? Should just stay as a gaming handheld.

Around the Network

Sony won't leave - I mean, the almost have a third of the market

I can't imagine the successor to the DS not having the DS' capabilities; it'd be pointless, backwards compatibility has been the highlight of Nintendo's handhelds. I can see them expanding upon them, though. Dual touchscreens seems more or less a given. Multi-point touchscreens are also a possibility, though we'll see how practical that is by the time they're planning a new handheld. And it would not surprise me in the least if they did add in accelerometers to the DS' successor.  And a portable Virtual Console for GB, GBC, GBA, GG, WS, etc. would also likely make an appearance.

As for when we can expect to see it, I'd say "not any time soon". The DS had a peak year last year, and while it probably will slow down a bit this year (following past market trends anyway), Nintendo doesn't usually fast-track a successor to a handheld until the previous iteration is a year or two from dropping off the market all but entirely.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:
I can't imagine the successor to the DS not having the DS' capabilities; it'd be pointless, backwards compatibility has been the highlight of Nintendo's handhelds. I can see them expanding upon them, though. Dual touchscreens seems more or less a given. Multi-point touchscreens are also a possibility, though we'll see how practical that is by the time they're planning a new handheld. And it would not surprise me in the least if they did add in accelerometers to the DS' successor.  And a portable Virtual Console for GB, GBC, GBA, GG, WS, etc. would also likely make an appearance.

As for when we can expect to see it, I'd say "not any time soon". The DS had a peak year last year, and while it probably will slow down a bit this year (following past market trends anyway), Nintendo doesn't usually fast-track a successor to a handheld until the previous iteration is a year or two from dropping off the market all but entirely.

They'll probably release a redesign of the DS first, see if that can bump sales back up to its peak

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Precisely. Even the most cynical anti-Nintendo sorts recognize that Nintendo's big on redesigns and new models. Just look at all the iterations of the GBA: GBA, GBA SP side-lit, GBA SP backlit, GB Micro. It's likely we'll see a new version of the DS Lite sooner or later, and near the end of the DS' life, a new version entirely that's even more portable (but one that drops GBA support, no doubt).

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

Nintendo needs a new Handheld with touch screen and 3d graphic. Ds can't sell once everybody has one.

not everyone has one yet

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I hope they don't start making new DSes every year like they did with the GB. I haven't even bought a DS lite, though I'm planning to get one soon, and if a new one came out next year that could play games that the DSL couldn't, I'd be pretty mad.

They risk seriously pissing off a lot of the new gamers they've just attracted if they release a new handheld anytime soon. People who've invested in a DS expect to be able to play the latest games for a good while yet.

I would say 2011-2012 and I would like to see built-in-rumble, built-in-web browser, motion sensor ala warioware twisted and battery life at least double of current level, i would also think graphics capabilitys would be gamecube level and i think by 2011 these features would make the DS2 cost as much as the current DS (in terms of manufacturing costs and retail price).