By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U will be sold at a loss

Nintendo confirmed everything.

"During the second quarter of this fiscal term, we have successfully eliminated the situation that we sell the Nintendo 3DS hardware below cost, which was the main reason our corporate profits fell in the last term. However, as we are in the phase of concentrating our development resources on software for the Nintendo 3DS system, which is still in an earlier stage of penetration than that of Nintendo DS, and as we have not yet launched the Wii U system, it is difficult to increase the total sales of software, which is generally profitable. In addition to the yen’s continuous appreciation, the Wii U hardware will have a negative impact on Nintendo’s profits early after the launch because rather than determining a price based on its manufacturing cost, we selected one that consumers would consider to be reasonable. In this first half of the term before the launch of the Wii U, we were not able to make a profit on software for the system while we had to book a loss on the hardware, which is currently in production and will be sold below cost. Our loss has therefore widened during the second quarter in spite of bringing the Nintendo 3DS hardware back to profitability. Although we expect our financial performance to be revitalized, under these circumstances, unfortunately we cannot say that we will achieve “Nintendo-like” profits within this fiscal year."

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/121025/04.html

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Nintendo confirmed everything.

"During the second quarter of this fiscal term, we have successfully eliminated the situation that we sell the Nintendo 3DS hardware below cost, which was the main reason our corporate profits fell in the last term. However, as we are in the phase of concentrating our development resources on software for the Nintendo 3DS system, which is still in an earlier stage of penetration than that of Nintendo DS, and as we have not yet launched the Wii U system, it is difficult to increase the total sales of software, which is generally profitable. In addition to the yen’s continuous appreciation, the Wii U hardware will have a negative impact on Nintendo’s profits early after the launch because rather than determining a price based on its manufacturing cost, we selected one that consumers would consider to be reasonable. In this first half of the term before the launch of the Wii U, we were not able to make a profit on software for the system while we had to book a loss on the hardware, which is currently in production and will be sold below cost. Our loss has therefore widened during the second quarter in spite of bringing the Nintendo 3DS hardware back to profitability. Although we expect our financial performance to be revitalized, under these circumstances, unfortunately we cannot say that we will achieve “Nintendo-like” profits within this fiscal year."

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/121025/04.html

Its sad :( But hey atleast they will make a profit by year's-end :) Which in part will be due to the 3DS being profitable. Furthermore, come to think of it, the Wii was profitable because it used some of the hardware from the gamecube. Wii U does not have that luxury. 

Sold at a loss in Japan and North American regions but sold at a profit in Europe and Other regions around the world to offset the loss of the main two regions,

Does this confirms that the WiiU is significantly more powerful than current gen consoles? lol
I dont see the deal, Nintendo has plenty of cash to play with, first year small loss, second year profit sounds about right

VGKing said:
MDMAlliance said:
Looking at the Wii U and what people are predicting what Sony and Microsoft will do with their next gen consoles, I am curious as what would be in store for us the generation after Wii U. It is quite evident by console history that power is not everything. By the time it is the next generation for consoles, maybe we will see ourselves out of a recession? Think we might see more systems like the Ouya popping up? Will iOS gaming (app gaming and whatever) really replace the handheld dedicated gaming consoles?
The Wii U, regardless of all this positive/negative news, is a system I am still interested in and am planning on getting.

Power is becoming increasingly important these days. Look at what happened to the Wii.

Consoles needs A LOT more power so they can really distance themselves from those free iOS games. It's the only way $60 retail boxed games can continue to lead the industry. I dread a day where free games like Angry Birds or Temple Run dominate the gaming industry.

Yep the lack of power got it 97 million units in sales. Should have been weaker.

Around the Network
phenom08 said:
VGKing said:
MDMAlliance said:
Looking at the Wii U and what people are predicting what Sony and Microsoft will do with their next gen consoles, I am curious as what would be in store for us the generation after Wii U. It is quite evident by console history that power is not everything. By the time it is the next generation for consoles, maybe we will see ourselves out of a recession? Think we might see more systems like the Ouya popping up? Will iOS gaming (app gaming and whatever) really replace the handheld dedicated gaming consoles?
The Wii U, regardless of all this positive/negative news, is a system I am still interested in and am planning on getting.

Power is becoming increasingly important these days. Look at what happened to the Wii.

Consoles needs A LOT more power so they can really distance themselves from those free iOS games. It's the only way $60 retail boxed games can continue to lead the industry. I dread a day where free games like Angry Birds or Temple Run dominate the gaming industry.

Yep the lack of power got it 97 million units in sales. Should have been weaker.

He is refering to the lack of third party support.

I knew this price didn't feel right. Maximum pressure in Kyoto this winter...

F0X said:
Cheebee said:
F0X said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
F0X said:
green_sky said:

My inside sources tell me that they have their top alchemist working on it. Also those alchemist are not paid that well. 

It's completely possible. Sony doesn't have a problem with losing $200 or so on each system sold.

The only time they took a loss that big on each system was with the PS3, and they won't be repeating that mistake. Sony can put out a significantly more powerful system than the Wii U for a similar price, taking a small loss.

Yes, but I don't see it being 3x the power (as originally suggested) and hitting the $399 price point. 2x the power, absolutely.

Well you also have to consider the price of WiiU's Gamepad, which will sell for around $150 or so, standalone. It's definitely very, very pricey.

If Sony simply releases PS4 with a standard Dualshock controller, they won't have to spend a fortune on a Gamepad-like controller: money they can use for other purposes (like increasing the system's power). Right?

Consider it considered. It's most likely the reason why Nintendo is taking a loss on the Wii U to begin with. However, we are talking about a massive increase in power in a limited timeframe. No matter how it's sliced, I don't see a situation where the PS4 can hit $399, have Sony take a small loss, and have it be that much more powerful. 5x the power of PS3 is as far as i'd venture to guess. Still, I admit this is without me knowing when Sony plans to release the console. A lot could change by 2014, for sure.

Yes, I agree, we'll have to wait and see, and I think it unlikely PS4 will be a beast like the PS3 was at its launch.

However, with WiiU @ 299, a 399 PS4 could potentially be quite a lot more powerful, especially considering the WiiU gamepad. If Sony don't go for something like that and release PS4 @ $399, that would allow them around $250 to invest in making the system more powerful, PLUS whatever technological advances the extra year (or 2) might yield. I see the potential.

Then again, I also see how it would not play out like that.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

The important part of that article was completely missed.

"Chief Executive Officer Satoru Iwata, 52, reduced the full- year net income forecast 70 percent "

Nintendo are finally getting bitten for continuing bad market practise in an evolving market.

Mazty said:
The important part of that article was completely missed.

"Chief Executive Officer Satoru Iwata, 52, reduced the full- year net income forecast 70 percent "

Nintendo are finally getting bitten for continuing bad market practise in an evolving market.

Hmm good spot. 70% reduction...fuck.