By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US Senate candidate: Pregnancy from rape can be ‘something that God intended to happen’

Mr Khan said:
Any woman who votes Republican at this point has seriously skewed priorities.

Yeah, she prioritizes thinking with her brian, and not her vag.

how is this controversal at all? only because people twist his words to fit their agenda.

Yes, gasp and egadsMourdock is pro-life and only believes in making an exception for abortion when the mother's life is at stake. In cases such as rape -- an act he describes as  "horrible" -- he still sees the creation of life as something that is  always a "gift from God."

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Now, if you were to state that a persons shouldn't force their religion onto other people and make them practice it like the monarchs in the 16th century then I'd agree. But I absolutly do not agree with policies shouldn't be made based off of religion... because thats just silly. Religion gives people a sense of morals... non religious people would obtain it a different way that is just as equally flawed.

We're saying the religious shouldn't use their authority to stump for political purposes, or latch their faith onto one specific policy and say "this here, this is what God wants."

What makes a religious authority different from a union authority, or CEO, or School district leader.

If thier faith says one specific policy is the way it should be... why shouldn't they say that?

Because politics is necessarily material, and it political motives are often material in desire. The church embraces these agendas for less-than-noble reasons by politicizing, like what the Catholics did in the runup to the 1500s that led (in part) to the Protestant Revolution. When mixed with politics, religion becomes subservient to politics, not the driving force behind political motives, but the moral authority to back another agenda.

Religion has long abused their moral authority to hold back progress in democratic countries. Hell, the Catholic Church is most of the reason that France killed their own democratic transition in 1848, because the suffrage-granted peasants were told "vote for the monarchists" by their priests, and they did. Or in America in the run-up to the Civil War, the Abolitionists were largely religious, but Southern faith-leaders also used Christianity to justify slavery. One of them was betraying their faith (and that's looking at it objectively. One religion can't hold both of these views simultaneously, removing the morality of slavery from the equation entirely).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

He's right. It COULD be something God intended to happen. That's of course if God even exists, which is a whole different debate.

killerzX said:
Mr Khan said:

how is this controversal at all? only because people twist his words to fit their agenda.

Yes, gasp and egadsMourdock is pro-life and only believes in making an exception for abortion when the mother's life is at stake. In cases such as rape -- an act he describes as  "horrible" -- he still sees the creation of life as something that is  always a "gift from God."

This is controversial because Christianity supposedly espouses the idea of a loving god, and people generally find rape as a bad thing.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mitt Romney officially endorsed Richard Mourdock this past Sunday. Romney also recorded a TV ad for Mourdock, which started airing this Monday. It's the only TV ad that Romney has recorded for a senate candidate. Then yesterday, Mourdock says that if a woman becomes pregnant due to rape, it's "something God intended to happen." When asked about it this morning, Romney's campaign said that they still support Mourdock for senate, and they haven't asked Mourdock to stop airing the ad featuring Romney.

What a disgusting sequence of events.

Around the Network

Mr Khan said:
killerzX said:
Mr Khan said:

This is controversial because Christianity supposedly espouses the idea of a loving god, and people generally find rape as a bad thing.

which is why he said "rape is a horrible thing" but "life is a gift from God." this is nothing remotely controversal about this statement.

your promotion of a culture of ignorance and lunacy is astounding. You are completely devoid of any rational thought and reason on this subject, you are letting your partisan lenses cloud you judgement. something you have admitted to before. Step back, and look at this. watch the video, and tell me he is promoting rape. you can tell he cares, you can tell he is genuine in his belief to protect life. he clearly has no malice in his statements.

I'll just leave with a face palm and a head shake... g'day govna

killerzX said:
Mr Khan said:
killerzX said:
Mr Khan said:

which is why he said "rape is a horrible thing" but "life is a gift from God." this is nothing remotely controversal about this statement.

your promotion of a culture of ignorance and lunacy is astounding. You are completely devoid of any rational thought and reason on this subject, you are letting your partisan lenses cloud you judgement. something you have admitted to before. Step back, and look at this. watch the video, and tell me he is promoting rape. you can tell he cares, you can tell he is genuine in his belief to protect life. he clearly has no malice in his statements.

Here's the key part of Mourdock's statement: "I think that even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that is something God intended to happen."

You could take that to mean Mourdock believes (a) God intends some rapes to happen, and/or (b) when some rapes happen, God intends the woman to become pregnant from it."

I don't agree with either version of the statement. Do you?

In fact, I find both versions disgusting. Do you?

bluesinG said:

Mitt Romney officially endorsed Richard Mourdock this past Sunday. Romney also recorded a TV ad for Mourdock, which started airing this Monday. It's the only TV ad that Romney has recorded for a senate candidate. Then yesterday, Mourdock says that if a woman becomes pregnant due to rape, it's "something God intended to happen." When asked about it this morning, Romney's campaign said that they still support Mourdock for senate, and they haven't asked Mourdock to stop airing the ad featuring Romney.

What a disgusting sequence of events.

You know... and they totally disavowed his position on that subject.  Though i'm sure that part just totally slipped your mind despite being by far a bigger headline then anything you mentioned.