By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Region Coding, Why?

omgwtfbbq said:

1. Exactly my point! ;) While Nintendo claims that "importing is rare so there's no need to make games region free" in reality we know that the market if importers are small because they force it to be small and conveniently they can use that as an excuse for keeping it small.

2. Australia uses PAL. Shipping? Australia has its own plants to make the discs/carts. The shipping is done by the Interwebs (ie, free), and retailers profits are the same as in US. Taxes are the only difference, but that's not $30 of the price (10%, most US states have similar).

3. The local companies don't suffer from importing if: (a) they release in a timely fashion, and (b) they release at a similar price.

4. Importing is not common in Australia, and neither is downloading. Once again, see (3) to stop local shops from sufferring. This is Nintendo's problem, but they are making it our problem by region coding their consoles and games (which, I should mention, is illegal here)

1. Yes, i hope you noticed my sarcasm... ;)

2. But this shouldn't be a problem, unless you make it one. With modchip NTSC games work in PAL console, and this restriction is made by the manufacturer.

Explain Interwebs for me. :) How do they work, how funded etc. 

3. I agree with a, but is b possible? That seems to be to the issue. :)

4. But if you could import freely and local stores would have to cut their prices, you don't think they would suffer from it?

Btw. How much electronics (and why not other stuff) cost in Australia, compared to US?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.