By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Region Coding, Why?

No it hasn't, I import games for some people who don't own a credit card and all the US PS3 games are working on the European PS3 as suppose to.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Around the Network

Europeans I can understand getting screwed with release dates, since it generally has to be translated to 4/5 different languages.

We only speak english here, come on, show us the damn games!

@bdbdbd

1. Import market is so small (except in some rare cases such as Gyakuten Saiban 2, but they brought that on themselves) that it won't make much of a difference

2. If you import from Japan, learn to speak japanese =) People who want the localisation will pay for the localisation (again, 99% of cases)

3. ermm... why does the company care about this? 

4. This seems to show a complete lack of understanding of economics. "People are importing games instead of buying them here because they cost so much. I know, let's RAISE the price to make more money!" Anyone who thinks like that needs to have their head checked.

If they didn't artificially delay games and increase prices to other countries (yes, I said ARTIFICIALLY. This is 2007. Are you saying it takes half a year to get a game from US to Australia, and costs $30? This is complete bullshit, and everybody knows it. NOTHING could delay the release that much unless it was on purpose) then there wouldn't BE any motivation for people to import games. The companies use region encoding to fix the price around the world and for no other reason. And kudos to Sony for taking region coding off their games (although they ruined this by suing the premier importer into oblivion).

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

omgwtfbbq said:

Europeans I can understand getting screwed with release dates, since it generally has to be translated to 4/5 different languages.

We only speak english here, come on, show us the damn games!

@bdbdbd

1. Import market is so small (except in some rare cases such as Gyakuten Saiban 2, but they brought that on themselves) that it won't make much of a difference

2. If you import from Japan, learn to speak japanese =) People who want the localisation will pay for the localisation (again, 99% of cases)

3. ermm... why does the company care about this? 

4. This seems to show a complete lack of understanding of economics. "People are importing games instead of buying them here because they cost so much. I know, let's RAISE the price to make more money!" Anyone who thinks like that needs to have their head checked.

If they didn't artificially delay games and increase prices to other countries (yes, I said ARTIFICIALLY. This is 2007. Are you saying it takes half a year to get a game from US to Australia, and costs $30? This is complete bullshit, and everybody knows it. NOTHING could delay the release that much unless it was on purpose) then there wouldn't BE any motivation for people to import games. The companies use region encoding to fix the price around the world and for no other reason. And kudos to Sony for taking region coding off their games (although they ruined this by suing the premier importer into oblivion).

Australia should have NTSC or its own region code to have games there earlier. It's pretty stupid to wait for translations, which are useless to you. That's what also i have to wait. 1. Importing is growing all the time. At some point it is starting to show at how many games have a retailer sold. 2. Yes, they will pay it. In fact, they will pay more from it, because part of the market is buing non-localised version. 3. Why does a company care about taxes? Why does anyone care about taxes anyway? Because taxes have to be paid. For example, if Euro goes below 1.18 USD, Wiis price without taxes in Germany (if i recall, it's 250EUR there?) is less than what it is in the US. You can't just say that "it's 300 now, because of currencies" or "retailers should pay only 10% VAT to keep price where it was". For example some car retailers from Germany used to buy cars from the finnish importer, because they got the cars cheaper from there, than from the german importer. Because of the high tax, car manufacturers compensated the tax by selling cars to finnish importers cheaper than to the german ones. 4. That's correct. You got the whole point. They have to raise prices to make profit. Retailers aren't doing charity, you know. Retailers have expenses, and at a certain point, expenses are higher than profits. Retailers order only one kind of products: profitable ones. If you sell a lot of products, you can sell them with smaller profit per unit sold, but if you don't sell much, you have to compensate with bigger profit per unit. It's as simple as that. Where does a price for a game come from. Let's see. Designing, manufacturing, marketing, logistics, manufacturers profits, retailers costs, retailers profit. For example Kesko in Finland haven't sold Nintendo stuff in it's Citymarkets in a couple of years because they didn't make enough profit from them, while SOK:s Prisma warehouses imported Nintendo stuff from NOE (unlike Kesko, who bought their localised versions from the finnish importer AMO) and sold them cheaper. Now the finnish importer didn't get any money from units sold by SOK, so they couldn't really market Nintendo products (Prismas have big market share in Finland), so this played the game for Sony and M$. Finally, by importing games to sell them cheaper, this caused harm for people who would have wanted to buy Nintendo games (they bought PS2 and Xbox games from the finnish importes and sold with same price with GC games), since importer and stores who bought games from the importer, had to have bigger profit per unit to break even (BECAUSE THEY HAD BIGGER EXPENCES PER UNIT).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

davygee said:

Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops is one. Released in Japan and the US in December, yet us Europeans have to wait until May....

Then why the hell i live in Greece and already have this game?

gamingdevil said:
davygee said:

Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops is one. Released in Japan and the US in December, yet us Europeans have to wait until May....

Do you have the US release?

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
3. Why does a company care about taxes? Why does anyone care about taxes anyway? Because taxes have to be paid. For example, if Euro goes below 1.18 USD, Wiis price without taxes in Germany (if i recall, it's 250EUR there?) is less than what it is in the US. You can't just say that "it's 300 now, because of currencies" or "retailers should pay only 10% VAT to keep price where it was". For example some car retailers from Germany used to buy cars from the finnish importer, because they got the cars cheaper from there, than from the german importer. Because of the high tax, car manufacturers compensated the tax by selling cars to finnish importers cheaper than to the german ones.

But the UK gets screwed all the time...and it's nothing to do with the UK tax VAT....its to do with them wanting profit.  It's nearly $2 to the pound, yet we pay well over the odds for the PS3 and everything else.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

davygee said:
bdbdbd said:
3. Why does a company care about taxes? Why does anyone care about taxes anyway? Because taxes have to be paid. For example, if Euro goes below 1.18 USD, Wiis price without taxes in Germany (if i recall, it's 250EUR there?) is less than what it is in the US. You can't just say that "it's 300 now, because of currencies" or "retailers should pay only 10% VAT to keep price where it was". For example some car retailers from Germany used to buy cars from the finnish importer, because they got the cars cheaper from there, than from the german importer. Because of the high tax, car manufacturers compensated the tax by selling cars to finnish importers cheaper than to the german ones.

But the UK gets screwed all the time...and it's nothing to do with the UK tax VAT....its to do with them wanting profit.  It's nearly $2 to the pound, yet we pay well over the odds for the PS3 and everything else.

How much consoles/games cost in the UK?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

davygee said:
gamingdevil said:
davygee said:

Do you have the US release?

Yup! But i didn't had to import it, i just walked in a store and bought it! (Btw, i love MGS but this one sucks basically because of the controls!)

Well, I thought it kinda silly to have separate EU and US games when they both have English as a language to play with.

Then we could just stick with a US/EU mixed version and Asian versions.

Im just wondering if the Wii could be unlocked with a simple software update, if Nintendo can do this through Wii connect and if it's possible in teh future some clever programmer out there could release a hack that is downloadable and installable from the opera browser?