By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Google profits drop 20%, shares tumble and are suspended.

Losing $70 per share would really have to sting. No wonder they locked it down.

What it does show is that business is the same for everyone: not all of the rising stars can rise permanently. On the way up, there will be bumps in the road. Once at the top, they need to find something that continues the rise or the plateau will be achieved. Of course, in this case, it was a drastic drop due to a few less than successful ventures.

Around the Network

Even if it fell 150 points put it where it was this past Summer. However, I would say this is why I avoid tech stocks, to volatile for my tastes.

Had 4 shares of GOOG, purchased 2 more at $687 on the drop. The stock might see lower prices in the next 3-6 months but long term this stock will get back up to approaching $800+ in the next 12 months. I'm not too worried about search, Google had a mild quarter for search but coupled with the purchase of Motorola and it's transition,it had a lot to do with the overall bad results. Hurting both profits and greatly hurting profit margins. By next year they should be rolling with Google branded products to a profit, instead of a loss.

I am not a smart investor nor have I ever invested. However, I wanted to know why Apple or Google has never done a split recently. Don't you usually split the stock once it gets past 100 or 200+ level let along 400-600 range. What are the benefits of splitting stock  and what are the downfalls? It seems like these stocks should be split.  The only stock that I know that doesn't split is Berkshire Hathaway.

kowenicki said:

Bad business deals (Motorola!!) and falling revenue from pay per click advertising to blame I reckon.

Trying to leverage advertising revenue from space on mobile devices is very, very difficult and this is why facebook is ultimately doomed imo.

Motorola was in a bad shapeas a company, but its patents portfolio is very important for Google, particularly for Android.

About advertising: yes, on mobile phones only, with their 3" to 5" screens, it would have been very difficult, but the expanding tablet market makes things better again, thanks to the wider screen space they offer.

kowenicki said:
you simply dont release your results before markets close...

This!

Edit: Anyway, stronger competition from MS and others means Google will have to get used to lower profitability than in the initial, unstoppable phase of its growth.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Google are in a similar position to Facebook, if the trend towards tablets and smartphones continues then they have some serious downsides coming unless they can work out some way to monetise ads on small devices, so far everything they have tried has failed miserably.

just hope this isnt the start of somthing bigger, Apple already sued Samsung for copy right infringement it would makes Google's shares fall even lower if Apple was gearing it's self up to sue Google with thier os or nexus device.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

sethnintendo said:

I am not a smart investor nor have I ever invested. However, I wanted to know why Apple or Google has never done a split recently. Don't you usually split the stock once it gets past 100 or 200+ level let along 400-600 range. What are the benefits of splitting stock  and what are the downfalls? It seems like these stocks should be split.  The only stock that I know that doesn't split is Berkshire Hathaway.

Stock splits are at the discretion of the company so they never have to (as you point to the most famous stock that does not).  They split often because it makes them affordable to more investors sometimes driving the price up because of the illusion of affordability.  So, why may you not want that?  Well, perhaps Google and Apple don't want smaller investors to possibily create more voalitility as they are content with their current place.  These are stocks that have shot up past few years and tech stocks have the potential to be voalitile as is so they could be suring up value with long term investors .  They could either or both split in next few years, but I would not bet on it,

Bear in mind, neither is "wrong", just different philosophies of managing stock value.

Augen said:
sethnintendo said:

Stock splits are at the discretion of the company so they never have to (as you point to the most famous stock that does not).  They split often because it makes them affordable to more investors sometimes driving the price up because of the illusion of affordability.  So, why may you not want that?  Well, perhaps Google and Apple don't want smaller investors to possibily create more voalitility as they are content with their current place.  These are stocks that have shot up past few years and tech stocks have the potential to be voalitile as is so they could be suring up value with long term investors .  They could either or both split in next few years, but I would not bet on it,

Bear in mind, neither is "wrong", just different philosophies of managing stock value.

I just remember keeping track of Microsoft during the 90s when I was young and seeing it split all the time.  If you were an initial investor in Microsoft you would probably be sitting on a lot of shares right now and have a very good return.  I am not even sure where it is sitting at right now but if it can survive the anti trust suits with only a small devaluation of its stock then it is golden.  I might not like Microsoft but it knows how to make money.

sethnintendo said:
Augen said:
sethnintendo said:

I just remember keeping track of Microsoft during the 90s when I was young and seeing it split all the time.  If you were an initial investor in Microsoft you would probably be sitting on a lot of shares right now and have a very good return.  I am not even sure where it is sitting at right now but if it can survive the anti trust suits with only a small devaluation of its stock then it is golden.  I might not like Microsoft but it knows how to make money.

If you bought them at IPO, each share would now equate to 288 Shares I think. So you would have made approximately a 400 fold increase in your money at today's price. i.e. if you invested 10k then you would be sitting on about 4 million dollars. Not bad, especially as the stock has done bugger all for the last 10 years. If you had done the same 10k investment at apples IPO you would have about 2.2 million dollars.