By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Someone stupid at MS is probably equating the PEGI 18 rating with the AO rating in the US"

D-Joe said:
Scoobes said:
The more I hear about Windows 8, the more sure I am that I'll stick with Windows 7. Probably the best thing about Windows is that it's an open system. I really don't like that they're trying to force the X-box Live/Apple model onto PC.

Anyway, Microsoft would be pretty stupid not to change this rule. Surely this will drive more AAA devs onto Steam and Origin instead of using the Windows marketplace.

Win 8 is as open as Win 7(like the notch news from few weeks ago,actually the rules is nothing change from win7,people just don't read the rules),the close system is Win RT

WinRT is the annoying part of Windows8 (as well as the "Metro" interface on traditional dektops by all accounts). It also seems to be the defining feature over Windows7 and if successful will push Microsoft to adopt a more closed system in the future. It's great that they run on both x86 and ARM architectures, but it's pushing a closed Apple app store-like environment onto the PC space.

So... I'm not really seeing a reason to upgrade... am I missing something?

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
D-Joe said:
Scoobes said:
The more I hear about Windows 8, the more sure I am that I'll stick with Windows 7. Probably the best thing about Windows is that it's an open system. I really don't like that they're trying to force the X-box Live/Apple model onto PC.

Anyway, Microsoft would be pretty stupid not to change this rule. Surely this will drive more AAA devs onto Steam and Origin instead of using the Windows marketplace.

Win 8 is as open as Win 7(like the notch news from few weeks ago,actually the rules is nothing change from win7,people just don't read the rules),the close system is Win RT

WinRT is the annoying part of Windows8 (as well as the "Metro" interface on traditional dektops by all accounts). It also seems to be the defining feature over Windows7 and if successful will push Microsoft to adopt a more closed system in the future. It's great that they run on both x86 and ARM architectures, but it's pushing a closed Apple app store-like environment onto the PC space.

Who will run WinRT in desktop?

D-Joe said:
Scoobes said:
D-Joe said:
Scoobes said:

I'm confused. Won't the developers be using the WinRT API to release their apps for the Windows 8 PC store (using the interface formely known as Metro)? Or is this API going to be purely for touch screen devices?

Scoobes said:
D-Joe said:
Scoobes said:
D-Joe said:
Scoobes said:

I'm confused. Won't the developers be using the WinRT API to release their apps for the Windows 8 PC store (using the interface formely known as Metro)? Or is this API going to be purely for touch screen devices?

Yeah it did,but is this matter?Win 8 not only allow people use win8 store,plus don't think many people will use win8 store,especially use it to buy games(even this news didn't exist)

From now on, we'll call that company BS. No! What did you understand? Not THAT BS. BS as "BigotSoft".

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
D-Joe said:
Scoobes said:
D-Joe said:
Scoobes said:
D-Joe said:
Scoobes said:

Yeah it did,but is this matter?Win 8 not only allow people use win8 store,plus don't think many people will use win8 store,especially use it to buy games(even this news didn't exist)

It sets a bad precedent and Microsoft have consistently shown they want to follow a more closed approach in the future (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Stevew-Ballmer-Windows-8-Surface-Apple-Windows-Phone-8,18302.html). The fact that they're putting the Windows Store at the forefront of the new OS just shows how much of a big push they want to make for their new and closed ecosystem.

Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim are PEGI 18? They're R16 here. 18 and over for ME3 seems excessivley harsh. I'd maybe understand it if they actually showed some T&A duing the "sex" scenes. But otherwise it's pretty tame.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

pezus said:
RolStoppable said:
HappySqurriel said:
I could be wrong but to me this sounds like a problem with the PEGI rating system ...

From what I can tell the ESRB created ratings that were based on movie ratings and Mature is (roughly) the same as R-rated, and AO is (roughly) the same as NC-17. The problem is that PEGI doesn't have an equivalent rating which is a massive mistake.

What makes a movie NC-17 instead of R?

I'm guessing explicit nudity. Gotta save those children!

Err, no.

Also: do you support the viewing of explicit nudity by chidren? If so, where do you draw the line? What age? Topless? Full frontal? Penetration? Just curious...after all, children are just small adults!

Right?

Scoobes said:
D-Joe said:
Scoobes said:
D-Joe said:
Scoobes said:
D-Joe said:
Scoobes said:

It sets a bad precedent and Microsoft have consistently shown they want to follow a more closed approach in the future (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Stevew-Ballmer-Windows-8-Surface-Apple-Windows-Phone-8,18302.html). The fact that they're putting the Windows Store at the forefront of the new OS just shows how much of a big push they want to make for their new and closed ecosystem.

Yeah outside of eu every windows come with IE,did they not allow you use chrome/FF etc?even win RT you can still use it via apps

They want money,but doesn't mean market allow them close the system

Guys, Windows 8 on desktop won't restrict you to their APP store so it's not a big deal unless you are on a tablet or a phone. Though it doesn't change that Windows 8 is a piece of fucking shit and people should just stick to Windows 7 until an improved version of Windows 9, if they also fuck up 9 then we just need to pray that Linux will end up saving the day in the coming years and years to come....