By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Evolution in Action: Lizard Moving From Eggs to Live Birth

Tagged games:

TheShape31 said:
Slimebeast said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Slimebeast said:
This is old and we went through it before. a few years ago here on VGC (I don't blame you AndresPetMonkey because u wasnt member then). The exact article. And we came to the conclusion that calling it evolution in action was hyperbole.

Whoa sorry I didn't realise it was so old. Saw it on the frontpage of reddit and assumed it was new.

How strange that it made up to Reddit frontpage after such a long time. I wish I could dig up our discussion about this from back then because it was a detailed, lenghty debate if I remember correctly (tried to Google it but it doesn't return legit results).

Andrespetmonkey, all you had to do was click on the link from your OP to see that the article was written on September 1st, 2010.  Anyway, here's the original VGChartz discussion found via Google Search:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=115937&page=1

Holy shit, that indeed was a detailed and hot debate. I was on fire! And put lots of energy into that thread. Thanks for digging it up.

What did you type into google? I tried "evolution lizard vgchartz" but came up with nonsense.

Around the Network

Don't tell Rep. Paul Broun about this... He'll tell you that you're a Demon from Hell, spitting out lies!!

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

TheShape31 said:

Andrespetmonkey, all you had to do was click on the link from your OP to see that the article was written on September 1st, 2010.  Anyway, here's the original VGChartz discussion found via Google Search:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=115937&page=1

Yeah, that's what I did after reading SB's post. When I first read the article I didn't think to look at the date it was written.

2 years on and science has moved on a bit. I think this looks like an epigenetic change based on temperature but I have no way of knowing as I can't find any studies looking at chemical modifications on the DNA of this lizard and the associated genes. This is pretty much what Slimebeast said in the previous thread.

If it is epigenetic then that doesn't eliminate evolution however. If a lizard(s) remains in a certain temperature environment for long period, those chemical modifications to their DNA can become more permanent, switching off genes and subsequently be passed down to offspring.

Corey said:

Isn't evolution based around survival of the fittest where members of a species born with certain beneficial genetic traits are more likely to survive and reproduce carrying on those traits to their offspring, which over time continues to completely change animals.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I Question how such a change occurs where they can transition from laying eggs to live birth, this didn't happen overnight obviously but how did the traits of transitioning to live birth before live birth was possible benefit the lizards so they could pass on such a gene?

It it not for scientists to decide what traits are beneficial. The fact that these traits exist means that they have been beneficial at least at some time. Looking at it this way the theory of evolution is only quasi-scientific.

I say this as an atheist

Around the Network
Corey said:

Isn't evolution based around survival of the fittest where members of a species born with certain beneficial genetic traits are more likely to survive and reproduce carrying on those traits to their offspring, which over time continues to completely change animals.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I Question how such a change occurs where they can transition from laying eggs to live birth, this didn't happen overnight obviously but how did the traits of transitioning to live birth before live birth was possible benefit the lizards so they could pass on such a gene?

It looks like this might be associated with epigenetics. Under certain conditions, chemical modifications can up or down regulate and even shut-off certain genes. I doubt that they've developed a gene specifically for live birth. More likely the genes for associated with laying eggs have been suspended due to temperature (note that without studying the DNA of these genes it's impossible to say for sure) causing them to live birth. As long as the offsping are still viable then it's a form of adaptation.

These epigenetic changes can become permanent and be passed on to offspring too so could potentially lead to a branch of lizards that only live-birth.

My question... which probably is in the other thread.

Have they taken lizards from the south, and put them in the north and vice versa to see if they can currently give birth to both, or if the lizards just do whatever is best as a reaction to climate.

Scoobes said:
Corey said:

It looks like this might be associated with epigenetics. Under certain conditions, chemical modifications can up or down regulate and even shut-off certain genes. I doubt that they've developed a gene specifically for live birth. More likely the genes for associated with laying eggs have been suspended due to temperature (note that without studying the DNA of these genes it's impossible to say for sure) causing them to live birth. As long as the offsping are still viable then it's a form of adaptation.

These epigenetic changes can become permanent and be passed on to offspring too so could potentially lead to a branch of lizards that only live-birth.

Very interesting, thanks for clearing that up