By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vita’s fight for life: After almost a year, has Sony’s handheld managed to distinguish itself?

^^
Exactly.

Around the Network

Ape Escape (4?) is a really good series that would fit the platform aswell and they havent done it. It seems to have died off in terms of main platform.

se7en7thre3 said:
The sad fact is that phone tech. has caught up and updates much faster than game handhelds. The crowd Sony aims for Vita is settling on do it all solutions with their phones. Even ipod touch messes with Vita's sales. Nintendo saw through this and dramatically slashed prices, not by 50 but $80! And 3DS sold three times as much Vita at their $250 price point, yet still understood the market enough to make that drastic move. To make things worse, Sony is not helping themselves compete by charging 3-4x more for their proprietary memory.

This, exactly this.

On pricing, Sony did as much to box itself in as Nintendo's price cut did from the outside. And for what? Mobile technology is growing way too fast for a dedicated gaming handheld with static specs to win on hardware dazzle. Between that and the ridiculously expensive memory, they'd need stellar features and games to convince people to pick the system up--and some way to convince devs to create them when the 3DS and the smartphone/tablet market has so many more potential customers.

Sony itself isn't even doing enough on the software front IMO. Where the hell is God of War? Rachet and Clank? Infamous? Gran Turismo? That Sony and it's studios haven't come out swinging is probably part of the reason third-party devs aren't stepping up either. Why should they pick up the slack?

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

S.Peelman said:

Because that's the clue.

When Nintendo makes a console like game like Mario 3D and Zelda, they use their main teams for them. The same team that made Twilight Princess made Spirit Tracks. Instead of them being watered down and developed by B-teams, the console-like games on Nintendo handhelds are always full-on entries in their respective series. They are their 'own' games. It has been so since GameBoy.

People notice this, it pays off.

Isn't there a vita game in development by media molecule though? Are they not a a-team at sony or something?

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

What in the world is going on with this thread. Look, it is very simple and pretty much black and white.

The problem with Vita has been and will always be the pricing model. It is simple, you charge 300 for a console and then jack up the price of memory units and what you have is a recipe for sales failure.

Sales of phones and tables have absolutely no impact on hand held gaming. Well, not enough impact to be considered substancial. You guys are drastically overthinking this situation.

Games are games, we know both Vita and 3DS are going to have some games of interests and games that span almost every genre (from console type games to arcade type games to pick-up-and-play type games to unique to their platform type games) but what caused 3DS to struggle in the beginning (yes, MORE than a lack of games) was the 250 US price tag. Bottom line, that is too much for anyone not a hardcore Nintendo fan to pay. The same is said of Vita. The difference is, Nintendo dropped the price (and sales picked up athough phones/tablets are still, "in the same market") and Sony has decided to ignorantly maintain their pricing model.

That is your key difference, and now it may be too late for Sony to do anything (including dropping the price) to regain any momentum they once had going with Vita. 3DS is better established and dominating this generation, and even PSP has a better library of titles and a cheaper price making it a competitor.

You guys are killing me with this talk of phones/tablets hurting the hand held market. What hurts the hand held market is thee inflated entry price on new hardware and accessories. Jeesh!

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network
CCFanboy said:
S.Peelman said:

Because that's the clue.

When Nintendo makes a console like game like Mario 3D and Zelda, they use their main teams for them. The same team that made Twilight Princess made Spirit Tracks. Instead of them being watered down and developed by B-teams, the console-like games on Nintendo handhelds are always full-on entries in their respective series. They are their 'own' games. It has been so since GameBoy.

Isn't there a vita game in development by media molecule though? Are they not a a-team at sony or something?

My knowledge about the upcoming Vita games isn't very good. I know that up until now, the games that are supposed to be the system sellers were made by secondary teams (or at least a different developer than their console counterparts). This nearly always shows in the quality of the game, and thus their subsequent sales.

Media Molecule is making TearAway, which actually looks like it's fun and should bring in some sales. Media Molecule also made the LittleBigPlanet games in PS3 and PSP which were all three successful. The Vita version was apparently outsourced to a different developer (didn't know this last part, just checked on Wikipedia ). Made by another developer, LittleBigPlanet Vita now appears to be flopping, is it a coincidence? Too early to tell, but it should raise some eyebrows.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
What in the world is going on with this thread. Look, it is very simple and pretty much black and white.

The problem with Vita has been and will always be the pricing model. It is simple, you charge 300 for a console and then jack up the price of memory units and what you have is a recipe for sales failure.

Sales of phones and tables have absolutely no impact on hand held gaming. Well, not enough impact to be considered substancial. You guys are drastically overthinking this situation.

Games are games, we know both Vita and 3DS are going to have some games of interests and games that span almost every genre (from console type games to arcade type games to pick-up-and-play type games to unique to their platform type games) but what caused 3DS to struggle in the beginning (yes, MORE than a lack of games) was the 250 US price tag. Bottom line, that is too much for anyone not a hardcore Nintendo fan to pay. The same is said of Vita. The difference is, Nintendo dropped the price (and sales picked up athough phones/tablets are still, "in the same market") and Sony has decided to ignorantly maintain their pricing model.

That is your key difference, and now it may be too late for Sony to do anything (including dropping the price) to regain any momentum they once had going with Vita. 3DS is better established and dominating this generation, and even PSP has a better library of titles and a cheaper price making it a competitor.

You guys are killing me with this talk of phones/tablets hurting the hand held market. What hurts the hand held market is thee inflated entry price on new hardware and accessories. Jeesh!

Gone are the days where you can just copy console style gaming on a handheld.  There are too many imitators out there, and yes, they do affect sales.  i.e folks with Galaxy S3s saying **** Vita, this phone is decent enough. So imagine in the next couple of years with even better phones...this is the same exact market for Vita, late teens/early-mid 20s with money to blow, that love expensive tech. They would rather upgrade their phone than stick with something "archaic" as Vita.

We knew this was coming, but most folks were in denial.  Nintendo it seems have adjusted, & 3DS is unique enough to where phones/tablets etc are not as much a threat to their business, but yes, they've been affected as well.  Sony needs to figure out how to market this thing properly.  IMO they need to continue pushing the Vita + PS3 (slim), maybe even bundling them, to extend PS3's life/pass up 360 and to show Vita's versatility. Lower the price obviously ($199), & bundle it with at least 8 or 16 gb memory.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

I disagree with you on that part, imo the 3DS would have just fine with at least 2 big games. Imagine if the 3DS had Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 at launch, I think that would have been a hole different story.

What killed the 3DS at the beginning was the lack of big games, not saying the price wasn't a factor (because it was) but imo the games were more important than the price.  

I agree with the rest.

Nintendo and PC gamer

S.Peelman said:
CCFanboy said:
S.Peelman said:

Because that's the clue.

My knowledge about the upcoming Vita games isn't very good. I know that up until now, the games that are supposed to be the system sellers were made by secondary teams (or at least a different developer than their console counterparts). This nearly always shows in the quality of the game, and thus their subsequent sales.

Media Molecule is making TearAway, which actually looks like it's fun and should bring in some sales. Media Molecule also made the LittleBigPlanet games in PS3 and PSP* which were all three successful. The Vita version was apparently outsourced to a different developer (didn't know this last part, just checked on Wikipedia ). Made by another developer, LittleBigPlanet Vita now appears to be flopping, is it a coincidence? Too early to tell, but it should raise some eyebrows.

Wipeout 2048 was made by the console dev team yet it didn't set the sales books on fire. It is much more complicated than just who made what.

For example LBP Vita was made by Tarsier and Double 11 with help from Media Molecule. Almost every single review clearly states it is the best in the series and the optimal way to play (yet somehow they rate it lower?). Uncharted Golden Abyss was made by Sony Bend with a ton of help from Naughty Dog and is better than the first Uncharted. Both these games were outsourced to incredible teams resulting in great products yet they are doing just as good as Wipeout (or just as bad depending on how you look at it).

In the future we have Killzone: Mercenery coming and it is developed by the console team using the console engine. If this game doesn't outsell Uncharted and LBP then I think it will be safe to say the developer doesn't matter as long as the game is good.

*LBP PSP was outsourced.

fillet said:
JoeTheBro said:

Thank you for proving my point: you don't know what you are talking about.

Uncharted Golden Abyss is not as grand as Uncharted 3 but it never tries to be. If we compared Uncharted GA to Uncharted 1 the Vita version (in my opinion as an Uncharted fan) is better in almost every way. Uncharted 2 and 3 continued the series by becoming more epic and large scale while Uncharted GA expanded other aspects. It's a different beast.

Wipeout 2048 IS the console games HD and Fury (if you have them on PS3) plus its own campaign and extras. Not a stripped down console game.

LBP Vita has everything from LBP 1 and 2 except their levels. The Vita version expands on this with even more content and tools as well as a highly improved create mode. Again I have no idea how you could consider this a stripped down console game.

I do Understand people calling Uncharted stripped down since it is different (even though I disagree), but how can you say Wipeout 2048 and LBP Vita are?

You've totally misinterpreted what I'm saying.

I'm agreeing with you, "a stripped down console game", is exactly what Uncharted on the Vita is. It's basically Uncharted - but portable. This is not what people want in a portable imo. If people wanted to play Uncharted, they'd play it on a PS3. This is the same trap the PSP fell into, I just don't think people want the same exeperience a PS3 provides, only on a more cut down level. Just like with the PSP I don't think people wanted a cut down PS2 experience.

Most people actually play portables at home anyway when it comes down to it and want to play something a little different without dragging out the PS3 or Xbox or whatever and play something quirky and unique that you don't get on a console.

Maybe I'm talking too much from what I personally want, but I saw it was a running theme on the PSP, you with games near the end like Resistance....who the hell wants to play Resistance on a PSP?

I very much enjoyed the RPGs on the PSP, they were a bit different to anything available on the PS2 at the time, have character too.

Stuff like Patapon was good, but that novelty factor is wearing a bit thin and there's only so much of that "new" type of game people can take in the vein of Echochrome and stardust hd and whatnot. The Vita needs new IPs that aren't on a console, no silly spin offs, you games that are actually FOR the Vita, but who's going to risk making them?

Ok now I understand you better with Uncharted.

But what about Wipeout 2048 and LBP Vita? 2048 is a longer game than on PS3 while LBP VIta is a better game than on PS3. Sitting on my couch infront of my turned on PS3 with LBP already loaded I'd prefer to play the Vita version instead. Think of it as if Locoroco first came out on PS3 and then a sequal was made on the PSP. That's kinda how I feel LBP is, it belongs on a portable.

I fully agree with everything else you are saying. Games like Escape Plan and Gravity Rush are exactly those kind of games but of course we need more. Tearaway is coming next year which should be great plus a sequal to gravity rush has been announced. I believe it is healthy to have a mix of these "Patapon" type games as well as console games. The problem with PSP console games was they were inferior ports. Sony has outright said it doesn't want direct ports on Vita but instead exclusive games within a console IP. Uncharted and Assassin's Creed (and sadly BLOPs declassified) are prime examples.

*But right now I'm up at college without my PS3 so I'm very happy games like PSASBR are multiplat.