By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The state of the gaming industry in 2014

Tagged games:

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
DS/PSP/Wii: Discontinued

Xbox 360: On its last legs. Third party support is severely cut off, and people are quickly moving over to Xbox 3 in anticipation for Halo 5 and other titles no longer supported on the console.

Xbox 3: Great sales thanks to brand recognition and strong third party support, as opposed to the aforementioned 360 version. The hardware isn't too expensive, but still not cheap enough to catch the casual crowd's interest.

PS3: Sales track only slightly below Xbox 3 thanks to continued support from Sony, who can't afford letting go of the system. (Recently gained) Full access to the growing Vita library also keeps new games coming.

PS4: Very recently released. Sales are acceptable.

PSV: Selling about half of what the PSP sold around the same time of its life-cycle. Third party support is still decent thanks to the dated hardware (from a home console point of view) and great profit margins on sold software.

Wii U: Tracking slightly behind the Wii. Third party support is still lower than the competition, but not nearly as low as the disastrous support that the Wii lived through.

3DS: Sales are about one third lower than the sales of the DS at the same time of its life cycle (which is not too bad given how the DS sold after ~three years). Third party support covers all major franchises, but pretty much nothing beyond that.

Great analysis. I agree with all your points except for the Wii U. I believe the Wii U will be tracking at max 60% of the Wii at that point.

Around the Network

The Last Guardian will get another name

Wii U: Will do just as good as the original Wii, and sales will explode during holidays.

Next Xbox: Release holiday 2014 with the Kinect 2 holiday 2015. The console will sell for $499, and Halo 5 will release along with it, making it a huge holiday buy.

PS4: Releasing in 2015 and will last 15 years on the market, and a little more powerful than the new Xbox. Will be sold for $599, with an updated and built-in Playstation Move.

Xbox 360: Will slowly be forgotten by Microsoft, but still make some sales here and there.

PS3: Sony will keep making games and updating the console. With the 360 plunging to make room for the new Xbox, PS3 sales will skyrocket.

nintendo: doomed.
microsoft: doomed.
sony: domed.

d21lewis said:

Apple:  Currently a wild card but I don't believe they will enter the home console business, ever.

I suppose you could say it was Apple and Bandai not just Apple.

Around the Network

I am not too sure what will happen to the big three console makers but it appears that Sony has the most at stake next generation. Just like how everyone said Nintendo this generation had the most at stake (considering most thought it would be their last home console system). So the pressure will be most on Sony to deliver. I think all three companies will manage decently during the next generation unless one makes a very major mistake. However, there were some pretty big mistakes this generation and all three companies managed to get by them.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
DS/PSP/Wii: Discontinued

Xbox 360: On its last legs. Third party support is severely cut off, and people are quickly moving over to Xbox 3 in anticipation for Halo 5 and other titles no longer supported on the console.

Xbox 3: Great sales thanks to brand recognition and strong third party support, as opposed to the aforementioned 360 version. The hardware isn't too expensive, but still not cheap enough to catch the casual crowd's interest.

PS3: Sales track only slightly below Xbox 3 thanks to continued support from Sony, who can't afford letting go of the system. (Recently gained) Full access to the growing Vita library also keeps new games coming.

PS4: Very recently released. Sales are acceptable.

PSV: Selling about half of what the PSP sold around the same time of its life-cycle. Third party support is still decent thanks to the dated hardware (from a home console point of view) and great profit margins on sold software.

Wii U: Tracking slightly behind the Wii. Third party support is still lower than the competition, but not nearly as low as the disastrous support that the Wii lived through.

3DS: Sales are about one third lower than the sales of the DS at the same time of its life cycle (which is not too bad given how the DS sold after ~three years). Third party support covers all major franchises, but pretty much nothing beyond that.

I actually really like this, good analysis.

Sal.Paradise said:

Sony and Sega team up to make the Dreamstation. Shenmue 3 and Parappa the Rapper de Amigo (crossover) are launch titles.

No company can stand up to the combined might of Parappa and that one Sega monkey with the tambourines. Together they dominate market and mind-share amongst gamers for the next two decades.

I've seen it in the tea leaves.

EDIT god dammit badgenome 

I also like this.

Very hard to predict everything that can happen. However I predict that Call of Duty will release in November 2014.

Nintendo will release the WiiPadGo as their "Third" leg and link between true home and true mobile gaming.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.