By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Awful Crysis and UT III Sales

Bodhesatva said:
Wow, Shio, good post. Have any evidence supporting the notion that Crysis sold over expectations?

kotaku 

"Crysis moved just 86,633 copies (admittedly topping the 68,600 that were predicted)" 

http://www.thesimexchange.com/blogpost.php?post_id=455

November NPD
Crysis (PC):
Actual Units - 86,633
Expected Units - 68,600
% from Expected - +26.28%

+26% over analysts expectations. I heard someone say that those were EA's expectations, but I don't think so now.

Around the Network
brute said:
naznatips said:
To be honest, Crysis simply isn't a very good FPS, and console gamers will be really disappointed if they do get it once they pop it in and find out that Orange Box, CoD4, Bioshock, and even Resistance and Halo 3 are better games all around.

have you played crysis?i havent but some that have ,said that after playing it they cant go back to playing alot of fps's like bioshock halflife 2 etc

I played and beat Crysis.  I was extremely disappointed with it.  Past the eye candy, it really has nothing going for it.  This is the entire game summed up in a short paragraph:

Move down a linear path to a Korean encampment.  Either kill the Koreans, are stealth around the encampment.  Repeat 10 times.  Fight through a couple bases here and there.   Go into alien spaceship.  Fight the same enemies in there for 2 hours.  Run through the snow, fighting the same alien enemies again.  Do a vehicle mission on a futuristic helicopter thing with awful controls.  Fight a bigger alien than before on a aircraft carrier.  Then obligatory "We must go back to the island and save our commander" thing at the end to set up for a sequel.

IMO the game was extremely average for an FPS.  It was far more linear than I was lead to believe, and they never did actually let you freely explore the island (they would tell you that you were exiting the mission area if you tried).  I have much more hope for Far Cry 2, which looks to have the good graphics and physics of Crysis with the actual free roam environment Crysis should have had.

However, my disappointment with Crysis is nothing compared to my disappointment with UT3.  Epic completely sold out on that one.  It's simply put, a bad game compared to the other games in the series, and I'm glad it's not making money.  I'm surprised to hear that Crysis is doing well.  I guess I'm glad it is because the physics engine is great and it will be used in other games if it does well, but again, I don't care for the game itself.  Great posts Shio.  People never stop attacking the PC market.  It's annoying.

naznatips said:
brute said:
naznatips said:
To be honest, Crysis simply isn't a very good FPS, and console gamers will be really disappointed if they do get it once they pop it in and find out that Orange Box, CoD4, Bioshock, and even Resistance and Halo 3 are better games all around.

have you played crysis?i havent but some that have ,said that after playing it they cant go back to playing alot of fps's like bioshock halflife 2 etc

I played and beat Crysis. I was extremely disappointed with it. Past the eye candy, it really has nothing going for it

So sad, so true...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

"I wonder if these PC games wold do better if they targeted the capabilities of a typical PC instead of trying to pressure people into buying $500 video cards."

There were lots of games that do this and sell terrible anyway. The whole hype of Crysis was THAT it needed awesome hardware. (and looked better than anything else) But I agree at least Crysis will continue selling for a while.

Kyros said:
"I wonder if these PC games wold do better if they targeted the capabilities of a typical PC instead of trying to pressure people into buying $500 video cards."

There were lots of games that do this and sell terrible anyway. The whole hype of Crysis was THAT it needed awesome hardware. (and looked better than anything else) But I agree at least Crysis will continue selling for a while.

sadlyEA branded shooters on PC are the only ones that do this the most. BF194, BF2, and Crysis have all pushed PC hardware to the next level or upgrade. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

" sadlyEA branded shooters on PC are the only ones that do this the most. "

I normally hate EA but in this case I have no problem. Pushing the limits is a nice PC Gaming tradition.

Wing Commander1-3 made countless people buy a new PC. I upgraded my RAM because Vampires Bloodlines didn't play nicely. This is a time-honored tradition. . And you can play most games with slower hardware they just won't look as good. I had a decent game experience playing Bioshock on my PC from 11/2003.

ssj12 said:
Kyros said:

sadlyEA branded shooters on PC are the only ones that do this the most. BF194, BF2, and Crysis have all pushed PC hardware to the next level or upgrade.

It's not a bad thing that not many companies do this.  I for one am thankful that companies like Valve specifically strive to make their games playable by as many people as possible while achieving their artistic aspirations.

lol now everyone is an expert of consoles XD

The piracy situation on the PC is now completely out of control especially since the rise of BitTorrent. We hear about the growing problem from on long list of PC developers that have turned to consoles to increase their sales.

The most recent voice that was added to the chorus was Robert Bowling of Infinity Ward who wrote a blog entry titled "They Wonder Why People Don't Make PC Games Any More" and talked about the "astounding" number of people who are playing pirated copies of Call of Duty 4 online.

Legend11 said:
The piracy situation on the PC is now completely out of control especially since the rise of BitTorrent. We hear about the growing problem from on long list of PC developers that have turned to consoles to increase their sales.

The most recent voice that was added to the chorus was Robert Bowling of Infinity Ward who wrote a blog entry titled "They Wonder Why People Don't Make PC Games Any More" and talked about the "astounding" number of people who are playing pirated copies of Call of Duty 4 online.

Yeah I know, I hate all the piracy that goes on in the PC gaming world because I'm sure a lot of those pirates would buy the game normally if they couldn't pirate it.

Games like Doom 3 were heavily pirated but Doom 3 luckily for Id Software went on to sell well with multiple million copies sold. 

PC Gamer