By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why should we even waste our time voting for President anymore?

the2real4mafol said:
people should just stop voting democrat or republican and vote for other parties, they do exist you know

Because the electoral collage would more than likely strike the vote down. Again the popular vote means nothing, the electoral college elects the presidents and Electors are choosen from those who are politcally active who don't hold a major office. You do vote to elect the electors but they don't have to vote in the way you want them to, these are called faithless electors. So in reality the popular vote is removed from consideration. The electoral does most time vote in favor but in a senerio like that I doubt they would go with the popular vote.

So the only votes that matter are the 538 votes of the electoral college. Compared to the 122,394,724 that voted in 2008 election that is a lot of usless votes. (.0004% of the votes actually counted or 4.3X10^-6:1) The system was put in place to make the common citizen think they are making a difference but in reality it very simular to a hamster in a wheel they are running but not getting anywhere no matter what they think.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/electoral-college1.htm

Around the Network
BlkPaladin said:
the2real4mafol said:
people should just stop voting democrat or republican and vote for other parties, they do exist you know

Because the electoral collage would more than likely strike the vote down. Again the popular vote means nothing, the electoral college elects the presidents and Electors are choosen from those who are politcally active who don't hold a major office. You do vote to elect the electors but they don't have to vote in the way you want them to, these are called faithless electors. So in reality the popular vote is removed from consideration. The electoral does most time vote in favor but in a senerio like that I doubt they would go with the popular vote.

So the only votes that matter are the 538 votes of the electoral college. Compared to the 122,394,724 that voted in 2008 election that is a lot of usless votes. (.0004% of the votes actually counted or 4.3X10^-6:1) The system was put in place to make the common citizen think they are making a difference but in reality it very simular to a hamster in a wheel they are running but not getting anywhere no matter what they think.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/electoral-college1.htm

That is not democracy then, as the elite are even controlling the elections, a run off system would be better for presidential elections, have 2 rounds. The first with all candidates and the 2nd round with the top 2 candidates, it should be based on the popular vote, otherwise it's unfair. But as this electoral college exists and little will change, they is no point in even voting then, as the result is probably already pre-determined. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

I agree with you. I've never voted and I probably never will.

oldschoolfool said:

Then you have no right to complain.

dsgrue3 said:
oldschoolfool said:

Then you have no right to complain.

I have every right to complain. It's the whole system that's broken. All these f"ing politicans do is tell you want they want you to hear and don't care what the average common man thinks. The voting options just fucking suck and it's always been that way. The whole 2 party system is screwed up. It's my constitutional right to whine and complain. Don't tell me otherwise. 

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
the2real4mafol said:

That is what this thread is about. We know they exist but they do not matter. Why waste our time? If I knew a certain type of Lottery ticket that  had a propensity to lose more than win do you think I would waste my time voting for it?

But then we have these two yahoo's that is our only other choice.

If the elections were fairer and the other parties got the campaign budget like democrats and republicans and were actually in the debates then, people might actually vote for them. We may know about these smaller parties (Libertarians, green, Constitution parties, Independents) but i'm sure the average citizen doesn't. They don't really look into politics, they just believe what they see in the campaign ads and the debates, and I don't think they realise there is an alternative choice. Things change with enough people power, giving up is not an option. If you're happy with the government and enough people agree, the change will come eventually.

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Even though I think people should vote, I would like to see if anything happens if NO ONE voted on election day

Voting DOES matter and things DO change in 4 years. When Bush was in office a very long war started that effected huge amounts of people and when Obama took office he passed Obama Care that effects everyone in the U.S. If different Presidents were elected at these times very different things would have happened.

Yeah it sucks that a Democrat or a Republican will always be President but each party viewpoints and values change over time. Not only that, it does seem more than ever that Politicians as a whole have slightly different views than people in there own party. I think thats a good thing.

I am sick and tired of people with bad attitudes thinking that nothing ever changes and there helpless. F#cking MAN UP!

I went outside once, the graphics were great but the gameplay sucked!

SamuelRSmith said:

That made me laugh so hard. lol