By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U GPU Type CONFIRMED! Custom AMD E6760!

Zappykins said:
Ok, can someone answer this?

If it actually has this GPU, and since it has 480 shaders to X360's 48 shaders. Does that imply at the same hertz, that it is 10 times as powerful?

(Would I guess would transfer into 3 times better looking?)

aeh no, that would be wrong

those "shader processors" on the E6760 are not the same as a shading unit on the Xenos, afaik they are more like ALUs

per shading unit the Xenos has 4 ALUs, so 480 vs 192 should be a better comparison for how many shading operations they can perform from my understanding

Around the Network
Mazty said:
Kasz216 said:
Mazty said:

When the form factor is considered, the Wii U will be kicking out very little graphical power - most likely a slight improvement on 6 year old consoles. 

Side note: How come ""HAVE FUN! LMFAO! " isn't allowed yet TheSource can say innane babble like the Wii U is as powerful as a 2009 super computer which is saying its performance will be around 35,000 GFlops? 

Because "HAVE FUN! LMAO!" is pretty clear cut trolling.

While Source obviously wasn't talking about an actual super computer.  He obviously meant a good computer you'd buy in a store for the timeperiod.

To go crazy and complain about the phrasing like you are is extremely pedantic.

It's like flying off the handle at someone for complaining that they said they could care less.

Extremely pedantic? Super computer is an actual term - I'm not assigning some abritary definition to a phrase. Also his comment doesn't even hold up for a good gaming PC....it's just a post that's devoid of thought.

I could just as easily argue that calling HFLMAO trolling is being pedantic because you could very well have fun with the console so it's not even an insult, but just as pointless as the super computer remark...Pot,kettle,black...

First off... how in the world would you rationalize LMAO in that?  Trolling =/= insult by the way.  I'd suggest reviewing internet terms so you don't end up accidentally breaking forum rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29  The comment was needlessly inflamatory. 

Second off... yes.  It's extremely pedantic because anyone who is on this board knows he doesn't mean a computer built for massive research operations... it'd be silly to suggeest that he meant otherwise.

People use the term super computer "off brand" all the time.

'That said.  Any issues with modding should be sent to Axumblade as complaining about modding outside of specifically designated threads is in of itself a moderatable offense per forum rules.

Mazty said:

When the form factor is considered, the Wii U will be kicking out very little graphical power - most likely a slight improvement on 6 year old consoles. 

Uh, no. Technology has actually progressed since consoles released 6/7 years ago.

A cheap GPU with very low TDP can moderately outperform those old consoles.

The e6760 is 35 watts on 40nm and performs slightly better than a HD 4850.

Zappykins said:
Ok, can someone answer this?

If it actually has this GPU, and since it has 480 shaders to X360's 48 shaders. Does that imply at the same hertz, that it is 10 times as powerful?

(Would I guess would transfer into 3 times better looking?)

Xenos has 3x16 shaders each with 4 ALUs running at 500MHz (I would suppose that's 192GFLOPS, but Xenos specs state 240FLOPS)

e6760 has 480 shaders running at 600MHz for 576GFLOPS

So more or less it comes down to 2.5-3 times when we talk just about shader performance.

e6760 has  50% more TMU (texture mappping units): 24 vs Xenos' 16, so difference is around 1.8x (14.4 vs 8 GTexels)

They both have same number of ROPs (render output units): 8, so difference is 1.2x (4.8 vs 4 GPixels)

All things considering, I would say on average it's about 2-2.5x more powerful

Play4Fun said:
Mazty said:

Uh, no. Technology has actually progressed since consoles released 6/7 years ago.

o.O Where did I say no progress has been made? If we consider the form factor of the Wii U (small) compared to the 360 (big) and original PS3 (monolith), then the fact that the wii U has a slight power improvement shows that progress has been made, although Nintendo have decided to go down the small and less powerful route rather then knocking out something the size of the 360 which is considerably more powerful. 

The 4850 has x2 the GFlops of the 6760 and 800 shaders processors compared to 480, so how are you concluding that the 6760 is slighty better? If anything it's more like the 4670. The wii U looks like it will demonstrate the advancements in fabrication miniaturization that have occured in the last 6 years, but then again, so does the new slim PS3...

Around the Network
Play4Fun said:

Actually, 4850 is some 1.4x more powerfull than e6760 - you should not compare e6760 with 6670, but with slightly downclocked 6570 (or 6650M but with GDDR5)

Mazty said:
Play4Fun said:
Mazty said:

o.O Where did I say no progress has been made? If we consider the form factor of the Wii U (small) compared to the 360 (big) and original PS3 (monolith), then the fact that the wii U has a slight power improvement shows that progress has been made, although Nintendo have decided to go down the small and less powerful route rather then knocking out something the size of the 360 which is considerably more powerful. 

The 4850 has x2 the GFlops of the 6760 and 800 shaders processors compared to 480, so how are you concluding that the 6760 is slighty better? If anything it's more like the 4670. The wii U looks like it will demonstrate the advancements in fabrication miniaturization that have occured in the last 6 years, but then again, so does the new slim PS3...

are you suggesting the redesign of the ps3 will have increased performance over the older model?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Kasz216 said:
Mazty said:
Kasz216 said:
Mazty said:

Side note: How come ""HAVE FUN! LMFAO! " isn't allowed yet TheSource can say innane babble like the Wii U is as powerful as a 2009 super computer which is saying its performance will be around 35,000 GFlops? 

Because "HAVE FUN! LMAO!" is pretty clear cut trolling.

While Source obviously wasn't talking about an actual super computer.  He obviously meant a good computer you'd buy in a store for the timeperiod.

To go crazy and complain about the phrasing like you are is extremely pedantic.

It's like flying off the handle at someone for complaining that they said they could care less.

Extremely pedantic? Super computer is an actual term - I'm not assigning some abritary definition to a phrase. Also his comment doesn't even hold up for a good gaming PC....it's just a post that's devoid of thought.

I could just as easily argue that calling HFLMAO trolling is being pedantic because you could very well have fun with the console so it's not even an insult, but just as pointless as the super computer remark...Pot,kettle,black...

Second off... yes.  It's extremely pedantic because anyone who is on this board knows he doesn't mean a computer built for massive research operations... it'd be silly to suggeest that he meant otherwise.

People use the term super computer "off brand" all the time.

I've never heard the term super computer be used "off brand" because using it wrong is like calling a cottage a mansion. Plus, as I've stated, the consoles weren't even close to being decent gaming PC's with the dates used - the comment was completely wrong no matter how liberally you look at it. 

In short, if you expect the power of a gaming PC from 09 from the Wii U, you will be very, very dissapointed. It's going to be more like an OC'd 8800GT with an OC'd dual core circa 06 - not super in anyway and certainly not suitable for the price tag. 

ganoncrotch said:

are you suggesting the redesign of the ps3 will have increased performance over the older model?

As with the last slim model, I imagine that it will use less power so in that sense it will have increased performance. However as the hardware is the same, just smaller, the in game performance will probably be the same. 

HoloDust said:
Play4Fun said:

Actually, 4850 is some 1.4x more powerfull than e6760 - you should not compare e6760 with 6670, but with slightly downclocked 6570 (or 6650M but with GDDR5)

How did you arrive at 1.4 times more powerful. I can't find a 4850 vs e6760 comparison anywhere. All we have is the 3DMark Vantage score of the e6760 with an AMD Athlon II X2 620 which is 5870. There are no game benchmarks of the e6760 anywhere.

The best comparison I could find is the 4850 Vantage score of 6805. But that's with a more powerful cpu, the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650.

Anyway, that is nowhere near 1.4x 5870. And factoring in that the QX9650 is roughly 50% more powerful than the 620 I'd say the 4850 is actually weaker than the e6760.