By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What will it take to Re-invigorate Vita in America?

Andrespetmonkey said:
kowenicki said:
seen lots of vita TV ads the last few days, a hell of a lot.

sainsburys?

I keep seeing an advert that shows gameplay of Fifa, Uncharted & LittleBigPlanet alongside the Vita.

That and Sainsbury's, yes.  

I still don't understand that Sainsbury's deal, it's £10 cheaper than the next cheapest place I can find (amazon) which is for console-only.  Might have to invest in this now tbh.

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
kowenicki said:

sainsburys?

As well as the general PS Vita ad and FIFA 13 ad.

I thought I was just on a good channel for it. Guess we've confirmed SONY are showing a shit load of adverts in the UK then.

Kresnik said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
kowenicki said:

sainsburys?

I keep seeing an advert that shows gameplay of Fifa, Uncharted & LittleBigPlanet alongside the Vita.

That and Sainsbury's, yes.  

I still don't understand that Sainsbury's deal, it's £10 cheaper than the next cheapest place I can find (amazon) which is for console-only.  Might have to invest in this now tbh.

I don't watch tv much, is the other trailer somewhere online?

brendude13 said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
kowenicki said:

sainsburys?

I thought I was just on a good channel for it. Guess we've confirmed SONY are showing a shit load of adverts in the UK then.

It's been coming on every ad-break during South Park on Viva (channel 21 freeview) that I've watched the past few days.  They're definitely ramping up.

Andrespetmonkey said:

No, I don't watch much TV either, which is why I was even more surprised that I sat down to watch it for about an hour and saw 3 adverts.

I can't find it anywhere online (sorry) but like I say, it was just showing the console and some gameplay from those 3 games.  

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

No, I don't watch much TV either, which is why I was even more surprised that I sat down to watch it for about an hour and saw 3 adverts.

I can't find it anywhere online (sorry) but like I say, it was just showing the console and some gameplay from those 3 games.  

hmmmm... well the UK is tiny. Merica is a different beast and will need a budget probably 10 times the size to have the same effect, and for that, Sony need to money.

;(

Kresnik said:
brendude13 said:

It's been coming on every ad-break during South Park on Viva (channel 21 freeview) that I've watched the past few days.  They're definitely ramping up.

Guess that explains everything, it's the only show I watch on TV.

In Japan:

1. Bury the PSP, Kaz. I understand it's a profit center, but you're now sacrificing long-term sustainability for short-term profit--this is almost never a good business plan, and if the PSP should has taught you anything, PSV can survive on just Japan...if you give it a fighting chance by pulling the plug on its older, well-heeled-but-doddering-and-squandering-the-family-fortune, brother.

2. Get some big names on the system, pronto--2013 for God Eater 2 and Gundam, both of which will be on PSP and PS3 respectively, is *not* the way to go but, well, let's be honest: that's all you really have to work with.

3. Cut the price and make damn sure you schedule your big releases one on top of the other to generate some actual momentum and not propagate the slow, N64-in-Japan, semi-death spiral its in now.

North America:

1. It's over. Pull the plug.

(Really. It's over. There is no coming back from the disaster in NA. The 3DS got there first, and even it's not setting the world on fire--there is no room for a distant second this time and, even if there was, the 3DS is, against the laws of reality, occupying that slot already.)

Europe:

1. I'm an American--what's this Europe thing again?

Free Vita with the purchase of a large Pizza Hut pizza!

There is little demand for a handheld console everywhere except Japan and the little demand that exists is occupied by Nintendo and smart phones. Even if Sony had blockbuster releases week after week and a fair price it would still see abysmal sales. Sony likely recognizes this and as such has lowered expectations and refused to cut the price preferring to profit on a small number of units sold.

Their earlier comments about retailers demanding a ps3/vita bundle as well as their cross-buy initiatives have me hopeful that the tech will at least not be wasted and incorporated in a fashion similar to the Wii U.

Yes, the price would be higher but for the price people would be getting a system with the same capabilities as the Wii U along with a system they can take with them and play many of the same games.

If they used specs comparable to the Wii U with the PS 4 along with integrating the Vita, they could launch it at roughly $400 (likely the bottom SKU of the 720) and share multi-platforms with Nintendo instead of MS.

How do you breathe again?