By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why PS4 won't be cutting edge, and neither will Xbox3 - or Why Nintendo might win next gen

Is my reasoning sound?

Hellz yeah! Spot on 265 33.42%

I never thought of it like that.... 69 8.70%

So it's the mental institution next for you? 101 12.74%

So very, very wrong 266 33.54%

I'm a pussy with no opinion 88 11.10%

Total:789

very very very VERY wrong... i can't wait untill the REAL next gen consoles come out so these nintendo fans will learn their place.

i have nothing against nintendo i love their games! but this is laughable

Around the Network
FrancisNobleman said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Cthulhu said:
There is no need for Sony to release a new console if ps3 can compete with a "next" gen console

I never expected that when I paid 650euro for a 2007 60gb ps3

I was just about it write this.

From what I can see, even though the Wii U is undoubtedly stronger, it's not THAT much stronger than the PS3. The multiplat games won't look exponentially better on the Wii U when compared to the PS3 since the Wii U isn't as big a jump as Wii and PS3 for example. So the PS3 could receive slightly scaled down ports of games for the Wii U.

In that case one has to question, why would Sony even bother releasing PS4 which as the OP claims, won't be a big leap over the Wii U? Why would they sacrifice a 60M userbase just for a small leap in power? Why would they bother going through all the R&D, marketing and start from scratch again if there is not much change? I mean we all know how they have already lost so much money.

I think people should look at the difference between the Wii and Wii U and see how huge a jump that was and not look at the jump between 360/PS3 and Wii U. There is no need for any manufacturer, be it Sony or MS to release a new console if there is not a significant jump from their previous iteration. As gamers you should be wanting as big a leap as we can get with a relatively affordable price. Why would you want consoles that are just a little better than the ones we have been playing on for 7 years straight?

To get a new console on shelves. Old hardware doesn't sell forever.

Why did Nintendo release the Wii instead of just releasing the wiimote for the already 20+M Gamecube userbase ?

New hardware is new, even if it is not such a big jump as it used to be. 

i'll add here that the PS3 is selling well because the wii loss momentum

once the wii u launches it could leave the PS360 selling what the wii is selling right now, so they can´t stay with the old hardware

sub-zero-TM said:
very very very VERY wrong... i can't wait untill the REAL next gen consoles come out so these nintendo fans will learn their place.

i have nothing against nintendo i love their games! but this is laughable

So, please enlighten me what's wrong with my reasoning? This is what's so great about this site; almost everyone have an opinion - and many have really good reasoning as well; it makes it so exciting to discuss these issues :D

And which part is wrong? That Nintendo might win next gen or that PS4 won't be cutting edge?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
DanneSandin said:

Well I didn't want to call out Sonys whole executive leaders for a bunch of stupid dumbheads less I'll be called a troll or whatnot ^^ but I'm sure there's a millionaire or two that enjoys that tv!

My money's on MS doing another leap - but nothing near as big as xbox -> xbox360!

well as a sony fan i'll risk it and do it for you, cause they're allot stupider then that. well past being dumb asses or dumbheads.

yea some billionaire has that TV, sitting on a $5,000 rug in the corner of their office. yea i heard something about an executive in a bank having a $10,000 rug in their office.

well i won't bet on big leaps. this gen. cost alot of doors closed and big companies opted out of taking big risk, so i think dev. friendly consoles will be made next gen from Sony and MS.

But I don't understand their stupidity... In certain cases they're absolutely brilliant; how they made two of the best selling consoles of all time (their two very first consoles none the less!), and how they turned the PS3 around. the success of PS1 could be argued was aided by the fumbling of Nintendo and Sega - but it's still really impressive to sell 100m consoles...

I like that expression: dev friendly consoles :D I think Sony is in a peculiar situation; in many ways THEY could decide how next gen will go down. If they opt to be closer to WiiU in power and MS makes another huge leap, 3rd parties will develop for WiiStation and x3ox will get ports that don't utilize the full potential of the system...

DanneSandin said:
RoryGamesFree said:

PS4 will be another good leap from the PS3, why? because Sony will cut their losses by waiting on a release possibly till as late as early 2015, by then the economy may well be more stable and costs down, will give them also a chance to tie up a lot of big launch games, will also have a price point probably around the same as the others, giving Sony a better chance of sales, will be too far behind the Wii U but will run the X720 close thanks to European sales. expected sales by 2020 of about 60m or so

But I don't think Sony will release PS4 as late as 2015; they've said that they don't want to get left in the dust like they did when Xbox360 launched a whole year before PS3... ANd if they reallt do release PS4 in 2015... They're done and out for.

As you say, Sony have said that they don't want to be the last to launch their console, or at least not by much.

Think about it, RoryGamesFree, if the PS4 is launched in 2015 the WiiU will have been in Japan for more than 2 years! Which support can Sony expect for their console? Only their most loyal partners, the rest will have moved on to develop for Nintendo.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

I posted this in a thread regarding the cut of Sony's credit rating, and I thought it was relevant to this thread as well:

Regarding these last turn of events I'm gonna go a head and make a prediction.

PS4 will launch in October 2013.
It'll cost between 30.000-35.000 yen, which will be something like $/€349-$/€399. Sony will be making modest profit (at the very least) from the get go.
And it'll be about 5-6x as powerful as PS3 (<-- I have no idea if this is doable considering the price I just listed, it's just a hunch).
They might even launch a StreamStation for 15.000-20.000 yen ($/€199-$/€249) without any Blu-ray and disc reading capabilities; this'll be a Gaikai console of sorts.

That's my thoughts regarding their financial situation.

EDIT: I also think that WiiU will be 3-4x more powerful than PS360.

I think the OP is going to have a rude awakening when Sony and MS reveal their consoles. 2 years is a long time for technology.

runqvist said:
I think the OP is going to have a rude awakening when Sony and MS reveal their consoles. 2 years is a long time for technology.

2 years is also a very long time for economy. As it stands right now the exchange rate from Yen to dollars are 77 to 1. 77 yen is worth 1 dollar. 1 dollar is worth 77 yen. If the PS4 would launch at 30.000 yen that would roughly translate to $389 - or more likely $349 at retailers. Now, it's expected (accordingly to Viper1 at least) that the Yen will grow stronger during next year, dropping from 77 yen to 70 against the dollar. That would mean, that if the exchange rate drops to 70 to 1, a PS4 costing 30.000 Yen would cost $428 - or more likely $399 at retailers.

In their current financial situation Sony can't afford to bleed money, and therefore it'll cost somewhere around 30.000 (no one's gonna buy a $449 console next year) - and a $399 console won't be a MAJOR leap over WiiU.

DanneSandin said:
runqvist said:

2 years is also a very long time for economy. As it stands right now the exchange rate from Yen to dollars are 77 to 1. 77 yen is worth 1 dollar. 1 dollar is worth 77 yen. If the PS4 would launch at 30.000 yen that would roughly translate to $389 - or more likely $349 at retailers. Now, it's expected (accordingly to Viper1 at least) that the Yen will grow stronger during next year, dropping from 77 yen to 70 against the dollar. That would mean, that if the exchange rate drops to 70 to 1, a PS4 costing 30.000 Yen would cost $428 - or more likely $399 at retailers.

In their current financial situation Sony can't afford to bleed money, and therefore it'll cost somewhere around 30.000 (no one's gonna buy a $449 console next year) - and a $399 console won't be a MAJOR leap over WiiU.

Don't take financial advice from a gaming website.

runqvist said:
DanneSandin said:
runqvist said:

Don't take financial advice from a gaming website.

Well, if you take a look at this: http://www.forexcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/USD-JPY-Forex-Prediction-October-8-12-2012.png it's quite clear that the Yen is dropping against the dollar. Just sayin'