By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I Have Finally Decided My Gaming Purchases for This Gen.

quigontcb said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
quigontcb said:

Sounds great except for one thing: Ninja Gaiden 2.

If MGS4 or NG2 weren't exclusive(for now at least), I would have a much easier time making up my mind on which of the HD consoles I'd like to get next. Who knows what's going to happen with KH3. Then there are others for the PS3 and 360 that sound nice, like FFXIII, SOCOM, next thing from the ICO team, Viva Pinata, Bioshock, Splinter Cell, and some others. At least RE5 is multi, so that is a load off my shoulders.

But I probably won't have the money for either one any time soon, as there are plenty of games I want to get for Wii, DS, and PS2(even though my PS2 doesn't work).

Sounds a lot like you need an 80 or 60g ps3 now doesn't it >: )

I do, but not quite as much as Sony needs to go back in time and make a simple PS3, instead of a costly BR player that happens to play PS3 games.

But seriously, it wouldn't be near as much of an issue for me to get a PS3(when the games arrive that is) if my job hadn't been screwing me over all last year. As it is now, I may not end up getting a PS3 or 360 until their successors are right around the corner.

The Blu-Ray drive doesn't add as much to the cost of the ps3 as one might think. Low yields and complicated architecture made the Cell equally responsible.

Really, it was the general design of the ps3 that made it so costly. The original 60gb ps3 had so much crap in it - wi-fi, the Cell, ps2 hardware, a drive that could play Blu-Ray and SACD, etc. All that really drives up the cost.

Over time, yield rates have gone up, resulting in manufacturing costs dropping, but removing things like ps2 hardware and SACD support are helping cut costs by quite a bit as well.

Basically, Blu-Ray may have caused the ps3 to be $600, but without it it still would've been close to $500 at launch without it.

@Grandmaster: PC by far has the largest library of games and more new releases every year than any console, so he'd be missing out on more by going with something else. If somebody has the money, I'd definitely recommend a good gaming rig first and foremost.

Around the Network

One flaw : get Zack & Wiki for the Wii as well.